Lost power steering on my 2013 Ram 1500. Dealer (Red River Ram, Heber Springs, AR) refuses to help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miltonbland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Prntastar
As I was leaving a parking place yesterday I lost power steering. Fortunately I was able to steer the vehicle into a vacant spot and eventually got the power steering to work again by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. I very cautiously drove home. An hour or so later I tried to put the truck into the garage but again the power steering failed. Truck has 104,000 miles and had every recommended service, I called the dealer where I bought it new and the service manager refused to help. He said they don’t work on vehicles over 10 years old. He said it is not safe to drive. I asked if he was suggesting that I salvage the vehicle and he said either that or find a private mechanic to work on it. Unbelievable!!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Assume you were writing just to blow off a little steam. It is well within a dealership 's right to refuse to service a vehicle. Even though it was a ram service center, they may realize that they can't get part for vehicles over a certain age and also that it may be cost prohibitive for them to do such work due to their hourly rate. So while it's not the answer you want to get when you call them out, they are probably aware of them more often than not. Once they get into it and give an estimate the person's going to refuse the work and take it somewhere else anyway.

OP
OP
M

miltonbland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Prntastar
Trik, I understand your point but totally disagree with you. I not only bought my truck from Red River but used them exclusively for all maintenance other than oil changes which I do myself. Some years ago I was a dairy equipment dealer. I took care of my customers even the service call meant driving 100 miles at 5:00 am and not making a profit on the call. I would like the same consideration from my truck dealer. At a minimum the service manager could have suggested a private shop. I know for a fact that Stellantis is concerned about the poor service their dealers provide. Limiting service to only newer vehicles is simply another nail in the Chrysler coffin.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Should they =/= Can they

Also, "should" is subjective.

I agree they should, but then again I know to never trust a dealership for anything, especially is todays ***** auto market. A trusted private mechanic should always be your go-to for any vehicle that is out of warranty.

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Many dealerships won't work on older vehicles. A service manager told me they would not do a trans fluid change on my 04. because they couldn't verify past service on it. Said, due to the mileage, they didn't want to be responsible if something happened to the trans after the service. Ended up doing it myself and had no issues.

No dealer wants to replace the head gasket on my mothers 06 Sebring as well, so, I am stuck having to do it.

Seems they just don't want to take liability on a vehicle out of warranty. Sucks, but, it is what it is.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
This has been a practice of a lot of dealers for several years. Not just limited to ram, but others. My harley dealer has a sign that says, if your bike is older than our youngest mechanic we don't work on it.

That's why I do just about all my own work. Ever try to get someone to work on a panhead? You are either doing it yourself or the guy working on is backlogged for 6 plus months and will not give you an estimate, you just need to leave a signed blank check as a deposit.

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldnt trust a dealer (or anyone else) to change my oil. Got to do that yourself so you know its done right. A HARLEY dealer? You have got to be kidding...worse than the car dealers...work on your OWN hog or find a good private mechanic. When buying, assume you will NEVER visit the dealer again with your vehicle and make the BEST deal then and there. The time to deal is BEFORE the sale not after. If they wont work with you fck em. Find a dealer that WILL

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not unusual for a dealership to not work on older vehicles......not just Ram, and just not cars and trucks. Our local big powersports (ATV, SxS, motorcycles) place is like that also. Part of the reasoning they have those policies is that older vehicles often have other hidden problems. What happens is the owner brings them in for one particular problem (in this case the power steering) but multiple other issues are found like rusted out brake lines or other worn components. A lot of times when they try to replace one item something else will break. For example they replace something in the steering but then a line snaps off, fitting breaks because it is rusted in, etc... The customer then blames the dealership for these other problems and expects them to fix them for free. So you can put part of the blame for having those policies on customers like that.
I'm not a pro mechanic by any means but do small side jobs for people I know. A neighbor's step daughter had a 20 year old SUV with a small fuel tank leak. They asked if I would slap a new tank in it. While replacing the fuel tank on this style of vehicle is super easy when new or in good shape, I wouldn't touch this one because of the rust and age. Almost guarantee that gas tank straps would break off and probably need most of the fuel lines replaced (I'm sure they would have fallen apart as soon as you touched them). No way I was getting into that mess.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Trik, I understand your point but totally disagree with you. I not only bought my truck from Red River but used them exclusively for all maintenance other than oil changes which I do myself. Some years ago I was a dairy equipment dealer. I took care of my customers even the service call meant driving 100 miles at 5:00 am and not making a profit on the call. I would like the same consideration from my truck dealer. At a minimum the service manager could have suggested a private shop. I know for a fact that Stellantis is concerned about the poor service their dealers provide. Limiting service to only newer vehicles is simply another nail in the Chrysler coffin.
Heber Springs, know the area well and was my stomping grounds back in High School and had family in the area until recently (originally from Judsonia). Actually dealt with that same dealer back in the 1990's on my Dodge Dakota.

Anyway, you remind me of my Grandfather that thought being loyal to a dealership got you something and maybe 30+ years ago that was the case but that world is no longer here. Sorry to hear of your troubles but their story is not too uncommon anymore.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First I've heard of a dealer doing this, but many of the independents around here have had this policy for a while.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 113934 miles.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First I've heard of a dealer doing this, but many of the independents around here have had this policy for a while.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 113934 miles.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First off, even if they did the work, they're going to charge you heavily for it. They won't discount it because you're a loyal customer. 2nd, finding. An OEM electric power steering rack for a 1500 is not an easy task. Hell, finding an aftermarket one isn't easy either. You'd be looking at minimum, 3500+ for the job, if not more. If you can find one, you're looking at about a 2 hour repair, hardest part would be getting the 2 mounting bolts and the steering shaft coupler off. Beyond that, it's an easy job. Like I said, dealer isn't going to help you any on the cost of the repair, so you'd be better off doing it yourself, or finding a shop you trust and have them do it. Fwiw, the rebuilt rack I put in my 19 classic came out of a 2013.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unfortunately the average ten year-old vehicle has not been properly maintained and correctly repaired and many shops have grown tired of having satisfactorily performed a repair only to have the customer come back and claim that something they did has caused another, unrelated problem. Can you blame shops for declining work on older vehicles?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 114001 miles.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unfortunately the average ten year-old vehicle has not been properly maintained and correctly repaired and many shops have grown tired of having satisfactorily performed a repair only to have the customer come back and claim that something they did has caused another, unrelated problem. Can you blame shops for declining work on older vehicles?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 114001 miles.
I'm running into this on my wife's 2012 rogue. Wouldn't pass inspection for leaking CV axles and rear brakes. Replaced both, now getting a clunk in the front end and the dash is lit up for a bad rear abs sensor. Only to replace the sensor and threw a different abs code.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Many dealerships won't work on older vehicles. A service manager told me they would not do a trans fluid change on my 04. because they couldn't verify past service on it. Said, due to the mileage, they didn't want to be responsible if something happened to the trans after the service. Ended up doing it myself and had no issues.

No dealer wants to replace the head gasket on my mothers 06 Sebring as well, so, I am stuck having to do it.

Seems they just don't want to take liability on a vehicle out of warranty. Sucks, but, it is what it is.
At my dealer at least we work on all kinds of POS vehicles just worked on a 2003 if it pays we fix it no matter what it is.

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At my dealer at least we work on all kinds of POS vehicles just worked on a 2003 if it pays we fix it no matter what it is.
NOW you tell me. Oh well, I don't think an 06 Sebring, with a blown head gasket would have made the drive out there.