lost VIN tag

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
so it turns out the only place that these old trucks have a VIN tag is on the driver side door. I've had my truck down to the frame and didn't notice a VIN stamped on the frame, firewall, etc.

so cutting to the problem, when restoring my truck, I replaced the rusted driver side door on the truck. completely blanked on pulling the tag and putting it on the new door. although this seems illegal as well, messing with the original VIN tag. Needless to say, that old door is long gone. so the truck has NO VIN tag or VIN stamped anywhere. the old door jamb sticker is still there with the VIN on it but that's not a VIN tag.

anyone know if that would be enough for a VIN verification for a re-issue? I live in the wonderful state of California.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Every American made vehicle for the 30 years has had a VIN # TAG on the dashboard, drivers side right against the windshield

There is usually another VIN # on the radiator support near the passenger side headlight area,

There is usually another Vin # on top of the frame , under the drivers seat

Don't expect to find a tag, the number is stamped before the vehicle is painted

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Every American made vehicle for the 30 years has had a VIN # TAG on the dashboard, drivers side right against the windshield

There is usually another VIN # on the radiator support near the passenger side headlight area,

There is usually another Vin # on top of the frame , under the drivers seat

Don't expect to find a tag, the number is stamped before the vehicle is painted
I've been restoring old cars for many years. I had this truck down to its last individual parts, frame off, etc. So, I looked in all the usual places as I usually do just out of habit while restoring. there was nothing. I mean I was shocked how little identification there was on these trucks. it's a 72 so it's 50 years old. The dash is a piece of sheet metal, rad support is also equally simply made. I'm guessing they just didn't stamp trucks as thoroughly as they did cars back then. my 70 dodge dart had numbers in several places.

My concern is taking it down to the CHP office for verification and then getting it impounded since the only VIN is the door jamb sticker. I'm sure they'll be as baffled as I am at the lack of any VINs. Next thing you know, I'm a bad man's girlfriend in federal prison.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Grab any paperwork that you can get a hold of
Old owners names, etc.

Good Luck