Lots of time idling. How hard is it on my truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramman87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Magnum
Not sure if you guys have ever heard of or listened to car talk, use to be on npr. However, they suggested just letting an engine idle for a while was better then the alternative of shutting it off and coming back and turning it on.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have like 2400 hours on mine I am sure many of those are idle with no garage the last year and half. I have not had any issues at all. Diesels pre DEF could idle all day every day and do it well. New diesels will soot up from what I understand. It is a waste of gas but a necessary evil since below zero temps require some time to get warmed up.

$miley

rwreuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Think it's time to bring this thread back.

I was reading an article on the Allpar web site that idling, due to low oil pressure is a major reason that lifters and cams fail in the Hemi's.

Thoughts and experiences?

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
^^^Exactly. From every thing we have read on this subject and is well documented in this forum's archive,,,the 5.7 and 6.4 do not tolerate extended idle periods. It is "suspected" that the low oil pressure at idle is not sufficient to properly lubricate the valve train. I.E. police cruisers that are suffering cam failure with less than 90k miles. While some have found that Tier 1 oils can help protect against this, I wonder if that would help OP in his very cold area.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
If it was my truck I would add in a hand throttle or a high idle kit to bring it up to 1000-1500 rpm, and I'd also be covering up most of that radiator.
On my eco-diesel I run the winter cover under +40F, and I also idle more then recommended.

rwreuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder how many on here who've cam/lifter failures would chime in and say what their idle time was on average?

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I'm not sure if one can make a connection between lifter failure and idle time... Because lifters failure could also be just random poor quality control, and we don't have good data to analyze to connect lifter failures with idling.

Anyway, I'm of old school mindset that truck needs to be warmed up before driving it. I have remote start and warm it up about 5 minutes each morning whether it's hot or cold in CA. I don't idle at all when it's warmer up.

It did have lifter failure around 60k, 90k now

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
^^I think that's right. What we understand, is anedotal. My neighbor is a scan tech at the local dealer. Says they have on average 1 police cruiser per month in service for valve train failure and engine replacement. But, both the city and county drive these 5.7 challengers. So there are a lot of them out there.

JimGregory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
One hour idling time is "said" to equal between 25 and 35 miles driving time. Depending who you you talk to. So for 8 hours idling per day, add at least 200 miles to the oil change interval. Or something like that.
At the very least I would step up the oil change interval some.

rwreuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure if one can make a connection between lifter failure and idle time... Because lifters failure could also be just random poor quality control, and we don't have good data to analyze to connect lifter failures with idling.

Anyway, I'm of old school mindset that truck needs to be warmed up before driving it. I have remote start and warm it up about 5 minutes each morning whether it's hot or cold in CA. I don't idle at all when it's warmer up.

It did have lifter failure around 60k, 90k now

I do the same for warming up...as a general rule I won't drive the truck unless the coolant temp has reached 104. However, when the vehicle is cold it is at high idle and the oil pressure is rather high, around 50 psi vs when it is warm at idle 25 psi.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine

I was reading an article on the Allpar web site that idling, due to low oil pressure is a major reason that lifters and cams fail in the Hemi's.

and mds not turn off from a tuner ! glad did mine 10 years ago ! people say I was crazy ! was the worst idea dodge ever had ? I just talk to a guy lifters burn up went bad 5,000 his own money to fix at 115,000 miles not good !

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
I do the same for warming up...as a general rule I won't drive the truck unless the coolant temp has reached 104. However, when the vehicle is cold it is at high idle and the oil pressure is rather high, around 50 psi vs when it is warm at idle 25 psi.
yes found mine at 26 idle not good so leave on defrost all the time so I get 32 psi another bad idea set at 500 rpm always trucks were 650 rpm ( my chevy trucks ) my camry ! they say its find no way bet lifters running dry didn't find warm up did much so just put on defrost low and turn heat way down ok ! works on cool in summer on defrost too crazy but better save engine I feel ! old school mechanic 70 s ok !

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine

your so right turn off mds 10 years a go I new this was going to happen guys played with 4 on 4 off years ago 70 s blew up engines ! so easy just turn on defrost so get maybe 30 at lest at idle also idle set to low 500 not 650 like a lot of trucks and cars ok ! even fan on 1 well work in summer too use the temp to cold and alls cool ! I have not found my deablo to rase it sucks but so this is all that works bad in idle and drive think of oil slowly getting to lifters 105 out in stuck california high way a hour owwww not good I bet ? use amsoil helps a little at lest ! seen 27 psi the change defrost on 31 ya no cold air to me sucks and I love my truck too over my tahoe i had ! so hopes its not to late to save some trucks wish i had my 383 in my truck was a great engine !