Loud Humming after amp install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathaniel Mathis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I get a loud continuous hum from my woofer after installing aftermarket amp. Anyone else have this issue? I have a 2019 Bighorn.

OP
OP
N

Nathaniel Mathis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
We grounded it right to the body in between the seats but I will have them check it again.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I remember reading somewhere if Ur tapping amp signal it's 2 ohm so you need a filter or pre amp because most amps don't like amplified power as signal.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Sounds like a ground or RCA

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019?
Engine
5.7?
If you ran separate power/RCAs to it, then make sure the RCAs don't run on the same side as power. RCAs can pick up a hum from the power wires if they're too close. I had a Mustang that did something similar - it picked up the turn signal wires running to the rear of the car, and when I put on my turn signals, the sub went thump-thump-thump. I moved the RCAs to the other side of the car and it went away.

-John

OP
OP
N

Nathaniel Mathis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for your input. I will post up what happened and the fix in a couple hours.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a ground or RCA

Ground or amp load. I guess I am older and in the minority, I just stick with my stock stuff (no fancy amp, alpine) etc., Hee hee, my hearing too poor to care. Too many years running around with amp, woofer, monster speakers hooked up to an 8 track with Thrush exhaust ending under the bucket seats, boy those were the days, (and I think the acft engines running up 20 feet from me not help either), LOL

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
its not uncommon for pple to think they have a good ground because they are screwed into a metal panel. learned years ago to sand the grounding spot to bare metal. sometimes it can be as simple as painted metal and a bad ground.

OP
OP
N

Nathaniel Mathis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So after disconnecting the microphones everything starting working smoothly. It was the mics under the drivers seat. I still have use of them but was told it was the highway mics that had to be disconnected.

Don_T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed a JL Audio amp and sub in my ‘19 with the HK system and I have no noise issues. I wonder what is different about yours?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Limited
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So after disconnecting the microphones everything starting working smoothly. It was the mics under the drivers seat. I still have use of them but was told it was the highway mics that had to be disconnected.

Where are these mics under the driver's seat? I can't find them.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Limited
Engine
5.7L HEMI
PS this is caused by the ANC system, not grounding issues, et al. Disconnecting the mics will resolve it. But are there actually mics under the seat or are you saying you disconnected the wires on the silver box there (as noted in other places on this forum)? If the latter, which wires did you disconnect? I've seen discussion of the four mics and their associated wire coloring but not which mic number is where.

Don_T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
PS this is caused by the ANC system, not grounding issues, et al. Disconnecting the mics will resolve it. But are there actually mics under the seat or are you saying you disconnected the wires on the silver box there (as noted in other places on this forum)? If the latter, which wires did you disconnect? I've seen discussion of the four mics and their associated wire coloring but not which mic number is where.

If the noise canceling is the culprit, I wonder why my truck isn’t having the same issue? I have an aftermarket amp and my truck has the ANC system as well.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Limited
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I can't speak to that. The ANC ignored my first sub amp but I had to replace it (it was overheating). The ANC now is not playing nicely with the new amp. There are threads in the Audio & Electronics forum here about problems with ANC and the fixes. I'm going to work on mine this weekend.

OP
OP
N

Nathaniel Mathis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The mics are in the headliner but there is a box under the seat that had to be disconnected.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Limited
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks, I figured that out later after posting my question. I bought a bypass harness and went that route. The humming has been eliminated.

ErnieD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for your input. I will post up what happened and the fix in a couple hours.

Did you figure it out? I just installed an amp with a LC6i line out converter and I’m having some issues. The sound is great then all of a sudden my left front door speaker picks up a loud static noise like when your radio is tuned in between FM stations.