Loud noise when reversing on cold start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My 2020 Rebel started making a loud moaning noise when I put it in reverse on a cold start. It only does it for a few moments or so. It is louder when I ride the break in reverse, but doesn't seem to be limited to having the brake engaged. After a few moments, it goes away completely. It sounds like the noise is coming from the drive shaft, but I'm not sure.

Anybody else have this issue or have any input?

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like the diff is cold as the fluid has not had time to rotate at normal temp. Seeing as it is a temporary thing, I do not see cause for concern.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Mine has made a whining noise ever since I bought it. Sounds more like it is coming from the transfer case than the differentials. May be wrong but it also only does it in reverse. Dealer told me they see it a lot in the 4X4s. Never had any issues arise from it. Had the truck since June 2017.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It’s from the rear brakes. There’s a couple TSBs for it. One involves replacing the rear brake pads. The other is to install anti moan brackets.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My Laramie, the wife's Limited, and my daughter's Rebel all make similar noises when it's below freezing out. Which tells me that although not desirable, it appears to be common. To me it sounds like it's coming from the front end of the truck. It's not something I've been very concerned about either way. I might start to worry if it gets louder, starts to happen above freezing, or lasts longer on any of our trucks.

OP
OP
Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sounds like the diff is cold as the fluid has not had time to rotate at normal temp. Seeing as it is a temporary thing, I do not see cause for concern.

Mine has made a whining noise ever since I bought it. Sounds more like it is coming from the transfer case than the differentials. May be wrong but it also only does it in reverse. Dealer told me they see it a lot in the 4X4s. Never had any issues arise from it. Had the truck since June 2017.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mine also sounds like it is coming from a diff or transfer case, sort of mid and center of truck. Hoping it is just a cold weather issue, and I don't have to worry, but man does it sound crummy.

It’s from the rear brakes. There’s a couple TSBs for it. One involves replacing the rear brake pads. The other is to install anti moan brackets.

I had thought that was possible, but it sounds farther forward, plus it happens even when I'm not riding the brake.

My Laramie, the wife's Limited, and my daughter's Rebel all make similar noises when it's below freezing out. Which tells me that although not desirable, it appears to be common. To me it sounds like it's coming from the front end of the truck. It's not something I've been very concerned about either way. I might start to worry if it gets louder, starts to happen above freezing, or lasts longer on any of our trucks.

Thanks. It is irritating, especially on a brand spanking new Ram. Had a 2008 for 10 years and nothing like this. Had a 2018 for 2.5 years, had some break noise when wet but nothing like this. Just sort of disappointing in a brand new Gen 5.

Thanks for everybody's input.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I can almost guarantee you it’s from the rear brakes. If it happens backing up first start in the morning. I’ve installed probably a dozen of the anti moan kits and replaced rear pads for exactly that issue.

rws1944

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2020 Rebel started making a loud moaning noise when I put it in reverse on a cold start. It only does it for a few moments or so. It is louder when I ride the break in reverse, but doesn't seem to be limited to having the brake engaged. After a few moments, it goes away completely. It sounds like the noise is coming from the drive shaft, but I'm not sure.

Anybody else have this issue or have any input?
My 2019 limited had the same problem and it was the rear brakes. It is a well known issue and was covered with TSB05-002-19. The dealer does not have to replicate the noise.

OP
OP
Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My 2019 limited had the same problem and it was the rear brakes. It is a well known issue and was covered with TSB05-002-19. The dealer does not have to replicate the noise.

Thanks. Is that TSB something the dealer will know off hand, and will address the issue?

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I can almost guarantee you it’s from the rear brakes. If it happens backing up first start in the morning. I’ve installed probably a dozen of the anti moan kits and replaced rear pads for exactly that issue.

Are these available as a "universal" kit.

Thinking about retrofitting some on the wife. See if it helps ;)

bucktruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2020 1500 4X4...Appears there are smart, informed and reasonable dealers/service dept's and then there are...THE OTHER ONE'S! My dealer (Santa Barbara, CA) said they knew nothing about it and could not find the TSB...So I emailed it them and then even printed it and took it to their location. Service Mgr. said that THEY would need to diagnose it themselves prior to any other action. To 'short-circuit' things I wanted to know if they had the parts (Moan Kit) on hand so as not to need the 'back & forth' and the reschedule routine...They would not even check if they had the parts. However, I did convince them, that I drop-off the truck the night before so that the brakes would be 'cold' for the evaluation. So, we'll see....Oh Yeah, and my 3yr warranty expires a few days after this evaluation scheduled for 9/21/23. So, I will probably be installing the MOAN KIT myself!

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
i just went and looked up what all that tsb is... wow that is some crazy fiat ****! really disappointing. looks like the rear caliper is not adequately supported from the factory so they had to jerry rigger some insane **** pipe fantasy bracket to keep the caliper from twisting/moving around.
poor design overall, what a shame

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230910-125018_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230910-125018_Chrome.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230910-125009_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230910-125009_Chrome.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230910-125000_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230910-125000_Chrome.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230910-124955_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230910-124955_Chrome.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 8

bucktruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2020 1500 4X4...Appears there are smart, informed and reasonable dealers/service dept's and then there are...THE OTHER ONE'S! My dealer (Santa Barbara, CA) said they knew nothing about it and could not find the TSB...So I emailed it them and then even printed it and took it to their location. Service Mgr. said that THEY would need to diagnose it themselves prior to any other action. To 'short-circuit' things I wanted to know if they had the parts (Moan Kit) on hand so as not to need the 'back & forth' and the reschedule routine...They would not even check if they had the parts. However, I did convince them, that I drop-off the truck the night before so that the brakes would be 'cold' for the evaluation. So, we'll see....Oh Yeah, and my 3yr warranty expires a few days after this evaluation scheduled for 9/21/23. So, I will probably be installing the MOAN KIT myself!
Well, the dealer duplicated the symptom and installed the Anti-moan kit (They didn't have it in-stock..so took 2 days). As a TSB is 'not a recall' this may have been a full-charge expense if it wasn't still under warranty, or you can buy the kit (cheap $60+) and install it yourself (looks simple). My trucks Moan noise, at times, was loud enough to awake a sleeping neighbor. Kind of a 'harmonic howl' that was ear piercing sometimes.