Loud Ticking Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Antmac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone,
I am new to the group and appreciate any responses I get. Since my 02 ram died on me last week. I am looking to purchase this 2011 Ram 1500 5.7 for what I think is a great deal but want to see if anyone recognizes this loud continuous ticking noise. It does not go away when car is at operating temperature. I live 6 hours away and want to drive home if I purchase but don't want to be stupid and do more damage if it is something bad. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That sir is a roller lifter that broke off 100% it will need a camshaft and lifters would not drive it home will cause damage. Some people will say it could be a exhaust leak but its not. You could always rent a uhaul and tow it home how much is a great deal? how many miles on it? should be under $6k.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Why buy something like that from a dealer, you literally cant find one that doesnt have hemi tick? take a pass would be my suggest. A large number of those still tick after the repair, not kidding at all. You could sink 8 grand into that and have it sound the same even with new cam and lifters.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First of all im shocked a dealer would even try to sell that truck like it is. Secondly, add me to the list of RUN AWAY and fast like. The cam and lifters are shot. If you drive it I highly doubt you'll even make it home without completely destroying that engine. That "good deal" is because of that engine being shot. I know you're between a rock and a hard place being far from home but go find something else and preferably at another dealer. Good luck

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this the truck? I just looked on that dealers website and saw I believe it was a 2004 ram 1500 with the right front fender bashed in. I'm not sure I would trust that dealership or anyone that works there Screenshot_20230401_000036_DuckDuckGo.jpg

OP
OP
A

Antmac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies. It seems the overall theme here is RUN AWAY!! I was gonna purchase for $4,000 out the door and was hoping I could find an engine for under $3500. It's a 2011 4x4 Big Horn with 209,000. I was hoping I could drive it to save on shipping but I understand everyone's point. I'll keep looking or do you guys think I should keep negotiating with the purpose of getting another engine? Thanks

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies. It seems the overall theme here is RUN AWAY!! I was gonna purchase for $4,000 out the door and was hoping I could find an engine for under $3500. It's a 2011 4x4 Big Horn with 209,000. I was hoping I could drive it to save on shipping but I understand everyone's point. I'll keep looking or do you guys think I should keep negotiating with the purpose of getting another engine? Thanks

I bet you would be replacing a lot more than just the engine at that milage very soon.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In all seriousness, I'd highly recommend looking for a different vehicle. With that kind of mileage I'm willing to bet it's going to be nothing but headaches. I'm not familiar with that particular dealer but I did look on their website from the video you posted. To me and only in my opinion, that dealer doesn't seem to have anything decent used on their website. I saw an older ram with a smashed up fender they are trying to sell. To me, if they are willing to sell vehicles that are smashed or have a bad engine I'd be very leery about they try to actually hide from customers. If the truck you're looking at was worth it then they should've done something about the bad engine before they try to sell it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It almost seems like that dealership is mostly an Auction buyer
The kind of place where they put saw dust in a manual transmission & rear differentials to quiet it down

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That vehicle with a bad engine, trans, worn out suspension, bad brakes, tires, and what kind of condition is the Body and bed in I see a few crinkled body panels on the drives side, Its worth scrap value!!!

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is a great example of the term "there's an ass for every seat". That is some dealers way business and it sounds like this dealer found there ass to sit in that seat. No offense OP but as others said RUNNNNNN don't be that ass

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello everyone,
I am new to the group and appreciate any responses I get. Since my 02 ram died on me last week. I am looking to purchase this 2011 Ram 1500 5.7 for what I think is a great deal but want to see if anyone recognizes this loud continuous ticking noise. It does not go away when car is at operating temperature. I live 6 hours away and want to drive home if I purchase but don't want to be stupid and do more damage if it is something bad. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Whatever is causing that noise, do not buy that vehicle!

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Daye: 3 June 2018. Now at 86719 miles.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't touch it ... but good luck in your quest ...

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The first question you should be asking yourself how much total investment you are willing to make on a vehicle of (already) questionable condition? In this case you might need an engine, worst scenario. Can you buy a used engine in good condition for $3500? Then there's labor.

As others have pointed out, there's a whole lot more of the truck you don't know about.

My recommendation is get a qualified auto tech. to look this vehicle over to check the condition and see if there are other repairs that might be necessary and determine an approximate cost. This would be a rough starting point.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 86804 miles.