Louder horn wanted need advice installing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgopus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 l 24V Diesel
my horn (dual) is pathetic, I can barely hear it inside the cab when I press the button, so I bought a compact air horn, operated by it's own relay it gives me a schematic of it's own Japanese. so trying to decipher it's schematic is problematic. it gives me two options option one shows hot wire to the horn button, option two gives me ground wire to the horn button. so I'm leaning towards my vehicle has the ground wire to the horn button (not really sure). and my further question is this, I know the truck hasa horn relay, well this KIT has it's own relay, can I just hook the horn wires to this relay , or do I bypass the trucks relay wire it directly to the battery / horn button/ ground. it takes 20Amp fuse I know the trucks horn wiring also takes the 20 amp fuse. so what do you think? I hope I have made this clear enough.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Your factory horn uses a ground to activate the horn. The horn is supplied power at all time and the horn button completes the circuit.

What I would do is this...

Remove the factory horn setup.

Mount the new horn in the same position or close to it.

Use the factory wiring to active your new horn relay setup and be done.
If you can post a pic of the new wiring harness I can provide some more specific details about how to hook it up.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
^^^ that's the easiest solution ^^^

But I never liked easy, I added an extra horn...
Haha, very nice. I have been known to be stubborn and find the hardest way to do things sometimes.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After my stock horn met its demise from some Fluid Film sprayed into it, I replaced them (there are 2 horns on the bracket) with these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0060ZB43G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went as far as getting the correct connector to plug into the stock connector so there was no cutting or splicing any factory wiring. Mounted the PIAAs to the stock bracket and remounted everything to the truck.

Sounds a lot....truckier....while looking stock.

smokey1757

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where did they hide the horns on a 96 1500? I am going to have to replace mine but I can’t find them. Probably right in front of me

Hero6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I cannot say for sure on a 96, but on 97, 98, and 99 they are mounted to the drivers side fender well near the battery.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Train horns from a locomotive

The Blue Mule

Reactions: Mop

Greenham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Doing the same with a Chinese knock off on my 2016 sport. No idea where the horn actually is though. Any one know and willing to share?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Doing the same with a Chinese knock off on my 2016 sport. No idea where the horn actually is though. Any one know and willing to share?
The factory horn on the Gen4 trucks is above the driver's front tire. You'll have peel the wheel well liner down to get to it.
I have one of these: Stebel 11690019 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMX20H4/
I wired the relay in parallel with the factory horn. It's loud enough to annoy the crap out of someone with their cranium stuck up their sphincter..also known as playing with their phone.