Loves Left Turns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old Guy Blue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2021 has a wierd issue. When making a gradual left turn (think moderate curve) the steering stays where it is pointed. Instead of the wheel returning to center, it keeps turning if I let go of the wheel. There is no problem if I center the wheel manually, but I have no idea what this could be. I have had it serviced and aligned, and there was no change whatsoever. Any ideas?

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everything nowadays is electric but its possible the steering rack may be bad. Who did the service and alignment? If it does it all the time take it to the dealer and go with them on a road test so they can actually see and feel it in action

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What did dealer say? Ram cares can help, I mean that should be fixed by dealer under warranty. don't put it off, get it done.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like the steering assist may think you are still inputing to the left and causing the steering wheel to drag left or hang left. Take it in under warranty. If it’s the steering rack or steering sensor you’ll definitely want it fixed before it becomes a serious safety concern

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I read this post and wouldn't you know the next day my 2017 started doing it! If anybody knows what causes this I would like to know. It doesn't do it all the time.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
If you let go of the wheel it wants to go to the inside and not the outside
meaning centrifugal force does nothing?

could be yawl sensor but I would start with basics when’s the last time you rotated and balanced your tires ?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The pitch of the road can cause this, and it would be perfectly normal. OP didn't say if the wheel stayed left after exiting the turn.

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The pitch of the road can cause this, and it would be perfectly normal. OP didn't say if the wheel stayed left after exiting the turn.
Yes, when you turn left the steering wheel doesn't automatically want to return to center....at least not as much as it does after you turn right. In the case of my truck I'm pretty sure it's got nothing to do with the road. Mine did it quite a few times one day but it hasn't done it since!

ultivssl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
my 2018 gen 4 does the same thing, I did some reading on it and apparently the electric rack has a sensor in it where it'll help compensate for slightly off center positioning (I think to help with driving in cross winds). When driving at slower speeds, I've found it does return to center. I really like the steering and handling in my ram. Found it's one of the better handling trucks I've driven as it just feels like the weight is more controlled than others and I've driving both old (70's, 80's, 90's, 00's) and new (2020/21/22) Fords and Chevs. Heck it handles itself better than some cars I've driven too.

aeromax4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I owned a 2017 Ram 1500 4x4 that always, since new, would travel to the left. I had it back to the dealer, alignment, tires rotated and it still traveled to the left. My 2016 Ram Laramie Limited does the exact same thing. New tires and alignment didn't make a difference. Aside from that and the hard ride I get from the air ride, I'm satisfied with my Ram 5.7 8 speed.

Last edited: