Low end torque

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

s_chev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the good info guys.
When I bought this 5th wheel at the RV show, they had a big pitch about it being the most you could pull with a half ton truck. The GVWR is 10,300 lbs. When I look in my truck's User Guide on page 136 it states the "Max Towing capacity is 10,350 lbs. I guess I just assumed I was good, understanding that I was at the limit.

For now, I love the truck and spending $2500 to change out the gears is not a bad investment for the additional torque. We are heading back to TX today and I'll take it slow and be patient. If I get around to changing the gears, I'll update this link with my costs and results.
Thanks again everyone.
~Steve20181014_121710_sm.jpg 20181011_170504_sm.jpg

s_chev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I just went to ramtrucks.com and to the towing section. The info in there is for the 2018 model year, but I figured it should be close. It says the max for 3.21 gears is only 8,220 lbs and for the 3.92 gears it's 10,340 lbs.

I've got my local Ram dealership working up a quote to change my gears out. We'll see what the total would be.
Thanks again all.
~Steve

s_chev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Status update. My local dealership came back with a quote of $6,364 to change the gears out to 3.92. They said the front axle assembly would have to be changed out as well as the rear gears. He didn't say whether the real axles would have to be changed. Not the news I was hoping for....

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Understood. Nothing intended to be implied.

no big deal...was just pointing out how old I am I guess........

Status update. My local dealership came back with a quote of $6,364 to change the gears out to 3.92. They said the front axle assembly would have to be changed out as well as the rear gears. He didn't say whether the real axles would have to be changed. Not the news I was hoping for....

The dealer will ALWAYS be 2x-3x more than a local shop........and nowhere near as knowledgable...as evidenced by them swapping out a complete axle instead of changing carrier & gears for the front.

and to think it was a $300 or so option when buying new....LOL