Low exhaust pop noise after coasting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daniel Z

Reaction score
Got a brand new Laramie 5.7 Hemi and it sometimes makes a pop noise (like a misfire) when you accelerate after coasting. It’s not noticeable at first, and sometimes it’s louder, sometimes is more subtitle, but regardless, it sounds like it should not be there. It’s low frequency. Why the heck is that? Are you all hearing the same? Read some theories online that it may be when the MDS (cylinder turning in and off) is kicking in. Great for fuel saving but why the noise. It’s annoying? Once you heard it, you can’t ignore it any longer.

Anybody else with this issue?

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2019 Laramie and after I swapped to the Borla S Type exhaust,it made that noise. My oem nor my currently Borla Touring make that sound.

ruff boy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have that exact sound.. Only have 500 miles on my 2019 5.7...sounds like a very low frequency pop or low boom, not super loud but it's surely noticeable and is nothing I've ever heard in any vehicle.. My Wife even hears it every time it happens.
Only happens after slowing then accelerating again..does it most of the time also.

limited delmo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine does it, I figured it was normal. It happens when MDS turns off. I agree it is annoying, but it doesn't bother me much anymore. If you turn your eco light on you'll see the noise happens every time the eco light turns off.

OP
OP
D

Daniel Z

Reaction score
An update from me: I reported the sound to the dealer when I took the truck in for service in November. They said there was a bulletin about it on their Star system and they "updated modules PCM and TCM for improved up shifts and down shifts quality". That didn't fix it. Instead, it changed its timing. It now happens happens at lower speeds. Sometimes it's louder, sometimes softer, but like ruff boy, I hear it and it's annoying - and my wife hears it all the time.

I've driven quite a few vehicles and have never heard such a pop with any of them. It should not happen, especially with a truck that Motor Trend declared truck of the year.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Time to start disabling MDS while driving, I always have aftermarket exhausts on my trucks and have to do this so I don't have to listen to the mds kicking in or out.

ruff boy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
An update from me: I reported the sound to the dealer when I took the truck in for service in November. They said there was a bulletin about it on their Star system and they "updated modules PCM and TCM for improved up shifts and down shifts quality". That didn't fix it. Instead, it changed its timing. It now happens happens at lower speeds. Sometimes it's louder, sometimes softer, but like ruff boy, I hear it and it's annoying - and my wife hears it all the time.

I've driven quite a few vehicles and have never heard such a pop with any of them. It should not happen, especially with a truck that Motor Trend declared truck of the year.

It seems it is the MDS working..I disabled the MDS by using the gear selector, and no more "pop"... at least there is a way to make it stop. Just took a long ride, nice not to hear it anymore

G-rob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
having the same problem with my 2019 bighorn. it is currently at the dealer for the 3rd time. they are telling me that have updated a couple of different modules, but that it is still happening. very disappointed. only 4000 miles. but it started almost immediately.
had i known about this, i think that i would have left this truck on the lot

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
^^^. Is your truck solely there for that sound, and is it completely stock ?

OP
OP
D

Daniel Z

Reaction score
Mine is all stock and while the isssue is not a major one, it is annoying as hell when you hear it. I appreciate MDS working and saving gas, but none of us were told this feature is coming at the price of your mental sanity. Yeah, you can disable using the gear selector but you loose gas mileage and you also have to do it every time you start the engine.

sman301

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Any upadates on the mds drone,popping
having the same problem with my 2019 bighorn. it is currently at the dealer for the 3rd time. they are telling me that have updated a couple of different modules, but that it is still happening. very disappointed. only 4000 miles. but it started almost immediately.
had i known about this, i think that i would have left this truck on the lot

Any updates on this? My truck has the mds drone sound and vibrates when eco light is on.

RonnyRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
2019 Bighorn and I'm not getting the 'Pop' noise, it's just low frequency...very annoying low frequency rumble as I'm coasting. Any other ideas besides using manual shift? I drive a LOT and need my gas mileage.

RonnyRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Any upadates on the mds drone,popping

Any updates on this? My truck has the mds drone sound and vibrates when eco light is on.
I realized if I pump the gas pedal when the noise starts it fixed it for the rest of the day...I drive all day and this has worked for me. I'm not pumping it to the floor, just tapping and it down shifts and then seems to go away seriously for an extended time. Hmm...