Low heat drivers side, no heat defrost help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dirtracer27x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so this year I had some warranty work done at my local ram dealer had lifters replaced. When I got the truck back the heat was weak. I took it back in and they said it was fine( this is the worst service dept I have ever been to. I also have a loud grinding issue that they said was my oversized tires. But they never even roadtested I verified by the mileage. ) no into the winter months we are freezing with no heat or defrost. Truck warms up normally and the passenger side producers a little heat, drivers side with produce warm heat at a stand still with the fan motor on low, but when on high or at freeway speeds will blow cool. Defrost is cold no heat at all. Been very dangerous as my windows fog up and can’t see. Have read multiple post and can’t seem to find a fix. Can anyone give me some guidance

2016 ram 2500 6.4 tradesman

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have replaced at least 10 heater cores on 4th gens already 3 things that can cause this. 1. air in the system/heater core you can try to burp the system I run it with rad cap off and a funnel that fits let it get to operating temp then I squeeze the heater core hoses and upper rad hose few times helps get air out caution its hot!!. 2.Low coolant overall 3. heater core is clogged you can try to blow it out with a hose but I have never had success with that on the 4th gens some get lucky but I always wind up replacing in the end.

OP
OP
Dirtracer27x

Dirtracer27x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dealer did drain the system when they fix the head, I have been trying to bleed but still feel like there might be air in the system. The upper hose felt empty and on day was actually sucking shut. This is frustrating to say the least especially that I have a dealer that does not know what there talking about and my warranty is almost up.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dealer did drain the system when they fix the head, I have been trying to bleed but still feel like there might be air in the system. The upper hose felt empty and on day was actually sucking shut. This is frustrating to say the least especially that I have a dealer that does not know what there talking about and my warranty is almost up.
I would just bring it back tell them to bleed it right I mean you had heat before work was done correct? or find a local shop to do it if you aren't having any luck doing it yourself.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Defrost should not be hot, it is actually A/C that clears the windshield

You can bleed air from the engine when it is not running
on the top of the water pump, when facing it, there is a plug, that is the air bleed, it may be hard to get to.
In that case, just a few inches to the right, there is a sensor with one or two wires connected to it, that is at the same height as the air bleed.
Carefully take that apart, let the air out
Reassemble it, use liquid Teflon
Motorcity Mechanic made a youtube video explaining it

If you hear a clicking noise when you turn your heater on
That is an actuator out of sync.
Again turn your ignition on from the passenger side, press the temperature control button nearest the ignition for 10 seconds, release, push again for 10 seconds, release
Now quickly look below the glove box, just to the left of the fan
You should see the actuator moving from one position to the other

There is also at least one video on that

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My first thought would be a thermostat and bleed but you mentioned that you've been at this for a while. I can't help but wonder if they put the thermostat in upside down (or if that's even possible).

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No heat in these trucks is almost always the heater core. Either it's plugged or since they replaced the coolant it could be air. Hopefully they used the correct (OAT) coolant when they refilled it?
Unless you have an extended warranty you would only have powertrain left which won't cover this so you may have to fix on your own.

Try to get any air out, if not try reverse flushing the heater core. I just went through this on mine. I used a air/water gun to flush it and mine is back to normal now.

OP
OP
Dirtracer27x

Dirtracer27x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried the reset but after holding for 10 and pressing nothing happens. I will try and bleed first then flush I guess
my warranty just expired 1800 miles ago it was a aftermarket warranty. But now I have a bigger problem, wife was driving down the road freezing her nice little ass off. And bam… no more forward momentum. Lost the tranny I think. Put it in drive is like it’s in neutral although I have reverse. Being quoted $6500-8500 to repair ….wtf. I’m loosing faith in my jump from my power stroke lol