low millage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

charlyfarias

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum v6 3.9 gas
hello good day, I have a ram 1500 v6 3.9, 1994 model.
It has 130,000 miles.
I recently have it, and not that the full tank of fuel (100 liters) gives me just 400km in the city.
already change filters, spark plugs and clean the injection body. I improve a lot in idle and start, but I notice that the smell of raw gasoline comes out of the exhaust pipe.
Something that catches my attention is that at idle speed up to 1500rpm I feel it will fail, very little as if it were only 5 cylinders that were traveling.
then in deceleration (between 2500 and 1500 rpm) a firecracker is felt.
What recommendations do you give me to analyze what happens to you?

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Sounds like at least 1 cylinder is not firing. If you have a good spark plug wire removal tool, you can pull the plug wires one at a time while the engine is running. Then if the one wire you pull isn't firing, the idle will not change when you pull that wire. You can pull them at the spark plug or at the distributor, just be careful, they do bite! :flame: Alternately, maybe if one of the spark plugs isn't firing at all, if you remove the spark plugs (engine off and cold of course), you may be able to see that one of them is still shiney-new while the other 5 look more used. That one spark plug may be defective or not being charged with voltage. You may need a new distributor cap, rotor and new spark plug wires---a common problem on older engines. Good luck! Tenga buen dia.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
I realize that perhaps I didn't give you a complete analysis in the prior post. You are doing the right things to find out what is wrong with your engine so far. Do also what I mentioned in the preceding post too. But if that doesn't fix it for you, you must do at least one more test: a compression test. You can find better explanations on how to do a compression test on YouTube.com than I can tell you here.
So you understand about the compression test, it checks that the "hard parts" of your engine are doing what they should. A good result of this test will tell you that the valves are correct, the camshaft is not flat, the timing gears are in the proper place with the timing chain, and even that all the pistons are OK. The spark plugs and wires are the easy things so we always hope they will fix the problem, but if a valve lifter, for example, has failed, that cylinder will not function properly so you would be running on 5, not 6.
I hope it all works out for you and that your compressions are high and even. Good luck.