Low oil pressure after warm up!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alexconard00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8
Hi everyone, I have a 2016 ram 1500 outdoorsman 5.7 hemi. About a month ago I got in a fender bender and bent my bumper in slightly. Since then, my truck starts up fine and I have 55psi for oil pressure. after 20 mins of running it slowly drops and eventually gets down to 0. I replaced the oil pressure sensor, did 2 oil changes, one with fram Oil filter and 5w-20. the other with wix gold filter and 5w-30. With the 5w-30 the pressure stayed higher longer but eventually dropped down to 0. There is no noise or anything out of the ordinary coming from the engine. there is also no damage anywhere passed the bumper. PLEASE HELP

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Have you tried hooking a mechanical Gauge to an oil Port to ensure its a pressure problem not a electronic glitch.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is the engine making a lot of noise when it gets to 0psi?

You should be able to rent one for free from Autozone or OReilly's down the road. Maybe your NAPA or local Advance (or other parts store) rents them too. Usually you put a deposit down and get it back when you return it. Or buy one. The parts stores and farm&barn stores usually have them. Maybe even Walmart.

Be sure to bleed the air out of the hose (using the valve by the gauge).

OP
OP
A

Alexconard00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8
Is the engine making a lot of noise when it gets to 0psi?

You should be able to rent one for free from Autozone or OReilly's down the road. Maybe your NAPA or local Advance (or other parts store) rents them too. Usually you put a deposit down and get it back when you return it. Or buy one. The parts stores and farm&barn stores usually have them. Maybe even Walmart.

Be sure to bleed the air out of the hose (using the valve by the gauge).
Not a lot of noise. But it’s making a little bit of a humming sound

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It should be clicking like crazy with zero psi oil pressure. But don't drive it anywhere and I wouldn't run it much till you verify what's going on.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hard to imagine how a light bumper bender accident would cause that unless there's an external oil cooler up there (even then??). Have a look anyway. Hopefully a manual pressure test will point to a bad pressure sending unit or a burnt/bad wire in the region.

If pressure is still low after a manual pressure test, I'd probably try another filter just in the odd one-in-a-million chance you won the bad-filter lottery. If the symptoms persist likely causes could be:

1) Cracked oil pickup tube O-ring, #2 below. (fairly easy fix)
2) Clogged oil pickup tube screen (fairly easy clean/fix)
3) Cracked/damaged pickup tube (replace)
4) Oil pump or stuck pump pressure regulator (you could try running some mystery-oil or cleaner through it)
5) Oil galley plug fell out (unlikely)
6) Bad bearings (caused by zero oil pressure from a bad filter)? You'd hear noises though.
7) Bad cam bearings

Nd9GcTJyAucZpk2AxPEXqS_26o8m-eXIOeIINuZ1Q&usqp=CAU.png

What a clogged oil tube pick-up screen (#5 above) looks like:
1682986763285.jpeg

IDK if it's possible some sludge could get knocked loose inside the engine and clog up the screen. Cracked pick-up tube seals/O-rings isn't unheard of on vehicles (any make), and would do just like you're experiencing as the oil thins and engine speed is low (can't draw enough oil). Usually pressure will drop to like 4 or 6 psi. At that pressure your engine probably wouldn't rattle. And the pressure would go way up if you give it throttle (it draws more oil through the tube).

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio