low oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could do what I do in cold weather.....Hold the throttle pedal to the floor, then turn to start, or push the start button. With tip start the engine will continue to turn over until you hit the button or turn off the key, but the engine will not start with the pedal to the floor.

After 5-10 seconds stop the starter, as oil should be pumping through the system by now. Then start normally.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
what weight oil do you suggest

Imo, most folks are using 5w/30. The 5w/20 is to thin of oil and doesn't create a good oil barrier between the engines moving parts. ie. the HEMI''s cam/lifters.

It's about how to squeeze in every possible way to get the best fuel economy regulated by the government/EPA rules and mandated reglations, etc. Not a good thing for our HEMI engines.

There are threads here about oil and oil filters that folks here have posted with good info.

Just type a search on oil filter thread or synthetic oil thread to get started.

Last edited:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
You could do what I do in cold weather.....Hold the throttle pedal to the floor, then turn to start, or push the start button. With tip start the engine will continue to turn over until you hit the button or turn off the key, but the engine will not start with the pedal to the floor.

After 5-10 seconds stop the starter, as oil should be pumping through the system by now. Then start normally.

This is called "Clear Flood" procedure and can be used on OBDII vehicles since about 1996. Also you do not have to let go of the key or stop cranking, Simply lift your foot off the accelerator pedal while continuing to crank.
I do this Clear Flood procedure after an oil change on vehicles so the filter and oil galley is primed with oil before ignition.

OP
OP
moparchas

moparchas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You never mentioned how low it is.
So, how low is it? Also you said for 10 sec or so, how much pressure after 10 seconds?
next time I go to start my truck I will bring up the oil pressure gauge and see what it says I don’t have a oil pressure gauge
I have to go through the settings and bring it up first
2017 Ram 1500 Express short bed crew cab 5.7
in the center of my instrument cluster in between the MPH and Tach it said low oil pressure
this is what my instrument cluster looks like
I am retired and I don’t drive it every day I bought the truck 2.5 years ago it had just over 28,000 miles on it now it has 38,000 miles on it so what weight oil does everybody suggest I use in it I have been using 5W20 full synthetic oil with a Wix XP oil filter

Attachments

• FE28FFCC-EA1D-4933-B3C5-8AFC0A357DAA.jpeg
    FE28FFCC-EA1D-4933-B3C5-8AFC0A357DAA.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Fwiw, I started using Red Line 5w/30 in my 2017 HEMI a few oci's ago and a Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter combo. I'm currently using an AMSOIL EAO11 due to the previous shortage of the RP 20-820.

The Royal Purple 20-820 is currently in stock at Summit Racing so I purchased a couple for future oci's.

I changed over from Pennsoil Platinum 5w/20 and 30 with either a MOPAR MO339/889 or Purolator Boss oil filters not because of the famous HEMI tick, but because of the occasional dry start up engine clatter and valve train noise.

My HEMI has a little over 45,000 miles and is running very smooth and quiet.

Good luck and happy motoring.

OP
OP
moparchas

moparchas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Went out Wednesday to start my truck it was about 25 degrees didn’t see the low oil pressure message come on
it’s seems to happen only when the temperature is in the teens or lower going to do an oil change and put 5w30 in it with a good filter for synthetic oils