Lower control arm bushing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blstrick55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What’s the trick to getting a new bushing in there? I was able to press out the old bushing and sleeve from the strut mount but the new bushing/sleeve doesn’t want to go in there at all. It’s almost like they’re too big but I know they are the correct bushing kit.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It can be a bit tricky getting it lined up properly. You could try putting the new bushing in the freezer for a bit, should help with getting it started.

heckcat9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It can be a bit tricky getting it lined up properly. You could try putting the new bushing in the freezer for a bit, should help with getting it started.
I've always frozen mine and used windex or water based lubricants to get them in.

OP
OP
Blstrick55

Blstrick55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys. I found that advice last night after posting so they’ve been in the freezer overnight. I’ll give it a go later today and see how it goes.

OP
OP
Blstrick55

Blstrick55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately still not able to get it in. I'm going to buy a different brand of bushings to rule out an issue with the part and if that doesn't work I might just replace the whole control arm so I don't have to fight with it anymore.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Unfortunately still not able to get it in. I'm going to buy a different brand of bushings to rule out an issue with the part and if that doesn't work I might just replace the whole control arm so I don't have to fight with it anymore.
We always replace the lower control arm. By this point you have already spent more time and energy on trying to figure out something that’s not worth the effort. I also recommend replacing both sides

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Once you get the new bushings in or you replace the entire control arm do yourself a favor and DO NOT tighten the bushing bolts until the weight of the truck is on them otherwise once the bushing is loaded it twists and will wear out much faster. You will be amazed how many people used to bring their trucks into my shop because they need new bushings in a fairly new control arm

OP
OP
Blstrick55

Blstrick55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I decided to go ahead and replace the LCAs. The problem I'm running into now is I have to reuse the spring seat from the stock strut to install my Bilstein 5100s. Well I didn't realize it before I started but the struts that were on the truck when I bought it (Speedy Strut) have a coil seat that isn't removable. Now that the strut is off I don't think it would've fit the Bilstein even if it was removable.

Does anyone have some stock coil spring seats laying around that I can buy? I'm gonna call around to the local junk yards tomorrow to see if I can find some.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rock Auto KYBs are dirt cheap and worked on my 6112s. Thats the last part I would buy used.

OP
OP
Blstrick55

Blstrick55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rock Auto KYBs are dirt cheap and worked on my 6112s. Thats the last part I would buy used.
I appreciate the info, everything I saw before said the only way to get those was used. I checked them out and they are about $200 shipped so a little steep for what I need them for. I might consider it and see if I can re-sell the struts without the coil seat.