Lower Dash Source?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Guys,
I have been looking around for a lower dash panel for my 2001 1500 Sport. I’ve already replaced the upper dash years ago, but then my heater core took a crap. I just bypassed it and went on with my life because it’s not that cold around here, but I’m starting to really wish I had defrost in our humid Texas winters though...

So, of course, this brings me to the paradox of dealing with brittle plastic. I know as soon as I take the lower dash apart it will likely be total trash. It has already started to break a little in some places. Does anyone know of a source for NOS parts for these? I’ve searched the internet and found people on forums making mention of buying them back in 2015-2016, but nothing more recent than that. Part number was 5FR41LAZAE. I don’t mind spending the money. I bought this truck new 20 years ago, and I want to keep it for life.

I have no interest in buying a used part, as it’ll likely be in nearly the same condition. I checked out Geno’s in hopes they might have something, but it looks like they have every other part except for that. Does someone know a place that still has any? Crazy to think that all of these trucks could eventually just be useless for lack of this one part being available.

OP
OP
Spike95

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good luck. No one makes new. Best option is to find a part out, or one in a junk yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate your response, but unfortunately anything from a junkyard is going to be at least as old as what I’ve got and made out of the same crap material. Of all the places providing upper dash pads for these I really wish one of them would see that this is becoming a seriously needed part as well.

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
I agree. I too would love if a company would make a new part for out crappy lower dash. I'm reluctant to do any dash work because of how fragile that plastic is.

Stox5225

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Diesel
I gave up on the idea about a year ago. I’m going to start building myself a dash in a month or so. All sheet metal. The top I will cover in some sort of heat reflecting material because of the direct sunlight here in NC. Don’t want to melt everything underneath it!! I have a thread on CF chronicling the whole ordeal. Should be doing a cab swap here in a few weeks.

OP
OP
Spike95

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I gave up on the idea about a year ago. I’m going to start building myself a dash in a month or so. All sheet metal. The top I will cover in some sort of heat reflecting material because of the direct sunlight here in NC. Don’t want to melt everything underneath it!! I have a thread on CF chronicling the whole ordeal. Should be doing a cab swap here in a few weeks.

That sounds cool as hell. I’ve considered trying to fab something, but this is my daily driver, and I can’t put it out of service for the kind of time it would likely take me to complete that level of project. I’m considering doing some of the plastic repair options that I’ve found (specifically the plastic tab repair from 3M), but I’m even hesitant to do that because I could see that project turning into having my truck out of service for several days.

I might just have to pay through the nose for a junk part off of eBay, do all of the plastic repairs to it, and then swap it out. Maybe I could do the same repairs to mine and then sell it to recoup the money. Of course all of this is just time, which is at a premium in my life currently, despite my love for doing projects like that.

Stox5225

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Diesel
That sounds cool as hell. I’ve considered trying to fab something, but this is my daily driver, and I can’t put it out of service for the kind of time it would likely take me to complete that level of project. I’m considering doing some of the plastic repair options that I’ve found (specifically the plastic tab repair from 3M), but I’m even hesitant to do that because I could see that project turning into having my truck out of service for several days.

I might just have to pay through the nose for a junk part off of eBay, do all of the plastic repairs to it, and then swap it out. Maybe I could do the same repairs to mine and then sell it to recoup the money. Of course all of this is just time, which is at a premium in my life currently, despite my love for doing projects like that.

Oh. My truck has been dashboardless for almost a year lol. All I need is my HVAC knobs and the cluster!!!

I’ll be piecing it together as I go. The intent is to even make it 100% easier to access the heater core and evaporate core without removing the WHOLE dash. Just that section. Should be interesting to say the least.

I tried attaching a picture, but it says it’s “spam like”? Oh well.

pocketchange

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
"B" Series 5.9L Diesel
Before you spend money, I'd verify the piece you are looking to replace, can't still be used. If you still need to replace yours, let me know, I can help.

BTW, the only way to remove the heater core.. is by moving the ENTIRE dash. Check YouTube. pc

OP
OP
Spike95

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Pre order today new! They see about 200 days out from delivery so you get a little discount.
Thanks. I got turned on to that last year. Was just waiting for them to start production. I guess I’m just going to have to cough up the $1250 and pray it works out since I have no intentions of ever selling my truck.

Papageorgio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am in the same boat. The way I look at it, its a single car note on a new one. Small price to pay to keep these beast on the street. They are saying around 200 days for mine to ship.

kmsbryans2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am so very happy that I found this thread. This part is hopefully just what I'm looking for. I can't wait to see actual photos of one installed. Please, as I'm of the same feeling about my truck, take some good photos of the process and write it up for us when you do the work.

Papageorgio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1710820460535.jpeg
1710820890392.jpeg

It has arrived. Excited to get it installed. Looking like early April and its going down. Going full out. New AC controls, switches, heater core, the works. Even ordered the blend door kit from Blend door USA. Keep you guys updated.

OP
OP
Spike95

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
View attachment 539647
View attachment 539648

It has arrived. Excited to get it installed. Looking like early April and its going down. Going full out. New AC controls, switches, heater core, the works. Even ordered the blend door kit from Blend door USA. Keep you guys updated.
So I’ve got to know, how does the build quality look? How well does the color match the factory parts? And how long did it take to receive it after ordering? I’m excited to see one that has shipped. I was kind of hesitant to spend the money before seeing that they actually had made it to production. Might be my next big expensive project after I finish with my new engine. I’m still considering ways to refurb my original dash to possibly sell and offset the cost of that new one. Maybe some fiberglass backing…

Papageorgio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Color and quality look good. I have the dash cap from LMC and a new Bezel as well. Have not decided if I am going to stick with the normal radio or go double din yet, but I am keeping my options open as of now.

As far as timeline, mine took a year, but I got in on the early preorder at a discount. At the time I placed my order, they were still finalizing the mold. I believe that is why mine took as long as it did. Now, I would assume you would get it much quicker. If/when they have cleared all the preorders.