Lube order... No grease points

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atrupo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How would one go about lubing all the necessary grease points... without grease points? I don't think I trust a permanently greased axle, etc. My truck has developed some suspicious squeaks.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which parts? Some items are considered replaceable. Ball joints and the such. When you have to replace stuff swap it with greasable parts. Axles are oil filled and require fluid swaps every now and then depending on usage. Bearings unfortanetly are a replaceable item along with ujoints. Ujoints you can buy greasable type replacements too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

atrupo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wasn't necessarily thinking of fluid swaps or replacement parts just yet. Anything that slides, rotates, or rolls should be lubed up to prevent excessive wear. The underlying question would be, does the factory lube last the lifetime of the truck?

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Lifetime could be several hundred thousand miles. No. Nothing lasts forever and most things don't last anywhere near that long. Anything with wheels, gears or tata's needs to be slickered up regularly. Follow the manual at a minimum.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Have you checked your bushings?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There are no grease points on any suspension/driveline components on your truck if everything is factory.

You can buy aftermarket ball joints,tie rods, U joints etc that are greaseable. However I’ve found far to many people over grease them then end up splitting a boot causing more harm than good.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was thinking about oiling my door hinges but decided against it. Chrysler uses press-formed (stamped tin) bushings which have what appears like a graphite lining on them. I've replace Jeep door hinge bushings which look exactly the same and have looked them over closely. Oil might actually accelerate bushing wear (just a suspision). At any rate, my truck has over 150k mi on it and the drivers door hinges are still very tight ...no play when trying to lift up the doors. So, why mess with a good thing.

But you could probably lube the hood hinges and maybe the tailgate hinge (unless yours is bushed).

I was always thinking about removing the front driveshaft yoke on our Jeep G/C and cleaning out the splines and re-greasing them with a lubriplate or high synthetic grease but never did. It's at 200k mi now and the driveshaft is still tight, so I guess I'd have to say Chrysler did their homework.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
BTW, I just happened to read this in the 2010-2012 manual:

BODY LUBRICATION:

LUBRICATION REQUIREMENTS:

Locks and all body pivot points, including seat tracks, door hinge pivot points and rollers, fuel door, fuel door release, parking brake mechanism, liftgate, tailgate, sliding doors and hood hinges, safety release catch should be lubricated periodically with a lithium-based grease such as Mopar Spray White Lube to ensure quiet easy operation and to protect against rust and wear. Clean surfaces of dust and dirt before lubricating, wipe up excess.

External lock cylinders should be lubricated twice per year (spring/fall). Apply a small amount of high quality lubricant such as Mopar Lock Cylinder Lubricant directly into the lock cylinder.

Later is says to use Engine Oil for door hinges, Tailgate, Hood hinges and white lube on the other points.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you really have a hard on for it drill in a zerk fitting where you want to grease something you feel needs grease, but personally I would be worrying about a lot of other **** first. I do have rhino ramps, and I do inspect the under side of my truck oftenish, and that is how I know I need to start fluid film because the rust is just starting. You can inspect your joints down there and see how they hold up overtime. Many youtubes on adding zerkies to anything you want.

Jared26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was thinking about oiling my door hinges but decided against it. Chrysler uses press-formed (stamped tin) bushings which have what appears like a graphite lining on them. I've replace Jeep door hinge bushings which look exactly the same and have looked them over closely. Oil might actually accelerate bushing wear (just a suspision). At any rate, my truck has over 150k mi on it and the drivers door hinges are still very tight ...no play when trying to lift up the doors. So, why mess with a good thing.

But you could probably lube the hood hinges and maybe the tailgate hinge (unless yours is bushed).

I was always thinking about removing the front driveshaft yoke on our Jeep G/C and cleaning out the splines and re-greasing them with a lubriplate or high synthetic grease but never did. It's at 200k mi now and the driveshaft is still tight, so I guess I'd have to say Chrysler did their homework.

My driver door has started a brutal squeak about 3 seperate times in the year I've had my truck, first 2 times I just used a silicon lube and it came back, this time I used a motorcycle chain lube we will see how that holds up.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I should have stated that I DO lube the door roller ...I just haven't lubed the actual hinge bushings themselves, although now that I see the service manual recommends it, I'm toying with the idea of lubing them. I'm kind of torn because it's got 150k on the clock and no door play whatsoever, so ya hate to mess with a good thing, right?

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I hit mine wiht some white lith grease once a year or so. 200k miles and they do pretty good.

csnetsurfer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Larmie 1500 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How would one go about lubing all the necessary grease points... without grease points? I don't think I trust a permanently greased axle, etc. My truck has developed some suspicious squeaks.

Please try looking at this video... gives you a clue of where to lubricate on drive shaft points... I would suspect that this is the same on many of them and would think that there are many other points to install zerk fittings... as most at least would have some way (steering components, drive shaft, ball joints):

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn