M22x1.5 Bolt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Anyone know where I can get an M22x1.5 full threaded bolt? (Other than Fastenall, who wants between $20 and $30 per bolt for them).

-K

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mcmaster.com ?

what length?

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
mcmaster.com ?

what length?

Tried them, they only have M22 in 2.5 thread pitch. Also tried Grainger, they didn't have any. Somewhere in the 20-25mm range for length, but I could cut it down if needed.

-K

Last edited:

14Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All I see is plugs in that size. Im a machinist and I checked my normal supply places and none list them. That is an oddball thread size as far as normal thread sizes go. So if you say fastenal can get it you may have to bite the bullet and go with fastenal. Unless you make one yourself. Whats it for?

Edit: Also, how did you measure (if you did) whatever you have to know its M22x1.5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
All I see is plugs in that size. Im a machinist and I checked my normal supply places and none list them. That is an oddball thread size as far as normal thread sizes go. So if you say fastenal can get it you may have to bite the bullet and go with fastenal. Unless you make one yourself. Whats it for?

Edit: Also, how did you measure (if you did) whatever you have to know its M22x1.5?

I want to make something like the tool at the Amazon link below, which is for the CTD, but for the M22x1.5 thread on the filters for the 5.7 Hemi. I've seen plugs available in that size, but I think they'll be too short. I need to go through a 3mm aluminum plate and still have enough thread to catch and hold in the filter. All the references I can find state that the filter for the Hemi is an M22x1.5 thread.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075FRCM8K

-K

Last edited:

14Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok I see what you want to do.

I did some more searching and that thread size is used in hydraulics alot. I found alot of fittings that had m22x1.5 threads. You may search on google for fittings that maybe have a threaded end long enough you can cut off to get what you need. I seen a few tee, 90 degree, etc. hydraulic fittings when I googled “M22x1.5 hydraulic fittings”.

Another option I found for you is a peice of all thread. McMaster Carr carries this. But its darn near $40 for a 6 inch peice. I will post a screenshot below, it has the mcmaster carr order number at the top and shows price. Pricey but probably your easiest route.

Third and last option you have is to have a machine shop make it, but I bet you spend more than $40 on that. Unless you have a friend with connections.

a067a7e7c8e9d1767670d89cdc23d3eb.jpg

14Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did just think of another option. 22mm converted to inches is .866 inches. You can buy a peice of 7/8” (.875) steel rod and a m22x1.5 thread die and make one yourself. I dont how much the die would run but you could probably get a cheap die to do what you need to do.

If you go this route, remember hex dies are chasers (mainly used to clean up damaged threads not cut new threads), a round die would be ideal. You could make a hex die maybe work but youd really have to take your time and use plenty of oil.

I will add this route will probably cost you just as much as buying the 6” peice of all thread from mcmaster carr I mentioned above. Maybe more by the time you buy a peice of 7/8” rod.

It all comes down to how much you want to spend/amount of heartache and sweat to make it vs how much the tool is worth to you when completed. If the tool makes your life easier and the time and money to make it is worth it to you, then by all means go for it.

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It all comes down to how much you want to spend/amount of heartache and sweat to make it vs how much the tool is worth to you when completed. If the tool makes your life easier and the time and money to make it is worth it to you, then by all means go for it.

Lol, was hoping not to spend more than $10 total in truth. $5 for the plate and no more than that for a bolt. But I hadn't realized finding one would be like catching unicorn farts. :) You may have hit the right idea with the plug concept though. I stopped by the auto parts store on the way home this evening and took measurements on a couple of brands of oil filter. The average distance from the top of the gasket to the beginning of the threads was 5mm so the plug with 11mm of thread I found should do the trick. If I get one put together I'll post it here.

-K

Last edited:

14Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lol, was hoping not to spend more than $10 total in truth. $5 for the plate and no more than that for a bolt. But I hadn't realized finding one would be liek catching unicorn farts. :) You may have hit the right idea with the plug concept though. I stopped by the auto parts store on the way home this evening and took measurements on a couple of brands of oil filter. The average distance from the top of the gasket to the beginning of the threads was 5mm so the plug with 11mm of thread I found should do the trick. If I get one put together I'll post it here.

-K

Thats the route I would go if I were in your shoes. Post some pics up, lets see it when its done.

One question, what is the purpose of this on the 5.7? I get its use on the cummins, but doesnt seem necessary on the 5.7 to me?

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
One question, what is the purpose of this on the 5.7? I get its use on the cummins, but doesnt seem necessary on the 5.7 to me?

My hope is for it to serve a similar purpose, allowing the filter to be tilted as needed to get it out without spilling oil all over.

-K

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After just changing my oil, I realized my issue isnt the filter as much as it is what comes out of the block after the filter is removed. I got the filter out pretty easily with only a little dropped, but I didnt get my form-a-funnel in place in time for what rushed out of the block afterwards. THAT is where the mess was.

14Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My hope is for it to serve a similar purpose, allowing the filter to be tilted as needed to get it out without spilling oil all over.

-K

If I were to be honest with you, I think your going to make a bigger mess removing the filter, letting it rest on something while trying to screw this tool in, all while oil is running out of the block, getting all over you, your tool, your old filter and everything else in sight. Atleast in my experience, getting the filter out without spilling is easy, and I use the big style filter, not the smaller one. Where the mess happens is when the filter is off, the block is draining a large amount of oil out all over the steering rack.

Not to diss ram, I love mine, but my 2006 F150 with the 5.4 had the filter in basically the same spot except it was on the drivers side. Ford had a stroke of genius and put a tray/funnel type thing there to guide the oil down to drain in a certain spot and not get all over everything.

One thing I have done in the past on my 5.7, is to take a grocery bag and put in on the oil filter(after I break it loose) and while im taking the filter off, stop and let the oil drain into the grocery bag. Works fairly well if you set it up right.

Like I said though, I think you may be fixing a problem that doesnt really exist, atleast not on the 5.7. Im not trying to be a know-it-all keyboard warrior, its just my opinion based on my experience with the same situation.

Reactions: kad
OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Not to diss ram, I love mine, but my 2006 F150 with the 5.4 had the filter in basically the same spot except it was on the drivers side. Ford had a stroke of genius and put a tray/funnel type thing there to guide the oil down to drain in a certain spot and not get all over everything.

I love my RAM as well and wouldn't really want any other truck, but the engineer who designed the filter location should have been pinned under the prototype truck and forced to change it repeatedly, with the oil hot, until they came up with a better design. :)

Like I said though, I think you may be fixing a problem that doesn't really exist, at least not on the 5.7. I'm not trying to be a know-it-all keyboard warrior, its just my opinion based on my experience with the same situation.

Not a problem. I appreciate your thoughts on it. To quote Billy Joel, "You may be right, I may be crazy." But I like to tinker and this will bounce around in my head until I try it so I'm going to give it a go. Worst case, I'm out $20, a little time in the workshop and maybe I make a bigger mess than I would have otherwise changing the oil while trying to use it. But who knows, maybe I'll start the latest semi-pointless tool fad!

-K

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
RAM does actually make a funnel type add-on, but I dont think anyone has verified if it does or does not work for trucks with EPS.

https://www.mopar.com/moparsvc/pim/media?id=9012424867870

I think that Benny was asked about that and he responded that it was supposed to work, but I can't recall if it was the Benny here, or the Benny over on "the other forum". *

-K

* I've yet to figure out if the two are the same person or if Benny is a pseudonym they use for whomever is handling internet sales. The dealerships the two work for are 6 miles apart on Long Island, but I haven't been able to trace the ownership chain high enough in public records to determine if the two franchises are linked. Yeah, I get obsessed with things...

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I read a post on the other forum where Benny said its not specifically called out for the RAM because its not required. Its meant for a crate engine being dropped into certain applications (I think Jeep Grand Cherokee), so it will MOUNT to any 5.7L but if it interferes with other things in the area on the RAM, Im not sure.

Reactions: kad

LabRatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
You are very welcome. Interested to see how your idea turns out.