Magnaflow 18"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi Maestro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, my new to me truck came with a Dynomax Turbo muffler put on by the PO. The thing has a crazy drone at highway speeds
(70-73mph, 1600-1900 RPM). I have read through the forums and see this is a common issue. I was thinking of going to a Magnaflow 18" or 22". My question is, does anyone have that on a crew cab, and can you confirm the presence of a drone or not? Thinking I might need to have a J-pipe added or return it to stock.

'17 1500 Laramie Crew Cab, Hemi 5.7, 8spd, 3.21, Factory Dual exhaust

Last edited:

Homeram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2020
Engine
5.7 Hemi and 6.7 Cummins
Wish I could help. I got a new to me 2019 and it had nothing from the front of the bed back. My wife actually likes the noise. I have an appointment on June 13th to get a Flow-Master 3" kit with 40 series mufflers installed with black chrome 4" tips through the bumper cut outs. $650 installed. Hope it is still loud but without all the in-cab resonance.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
With my 2009 Ram 1500 w/ the Hemi
I ran Magnaflow 18" two chamber, single in dual out
I liked the sound

3 chamber is the same quiet noise as close to stock

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
K & n muffler for the win!

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 16 sport with the magnaflow 14"..I do get some drone but i dont really notice it...Till a few days ago when the right side pipe broke off the muffler....

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
before messing around with a j pipe i would look into replacing the stock y pipe. its a terrible not-true-diameter-pipe mash that even ford and chevy do better on their recent 1500 series pickups with v8s

im starting to think its responsible for a good percentage of drone that people experience because almost everyone that gets rid of the stock y in some form (LT headers, aftermarket y and x pipe) does not have the same type of drone that a stock truck with a muffler swap has

so go and do your muffler swap and take lots of pics of the exhaust system so we can see if the other guy changed anything else
then you can decide your next step from there
happy muffling! :favorites13:

Attachments

• Resized_20210402_124921.jpeg
    Resized_20210402_124921.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
Hemi Maestro

Hemi Maestro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
before messing around with a j pipe i would look into replacing the stock y pipe. its a terrible not-true-diameter-pipe mash that even ford and chevy do better on their recent 1500 series pickups with v8s

im starting to think its responsible for a good percentage of drone that people experience because almost everyone that gets rid of the stock y in some form (LT headers, aftermarket y and x pipe) does not have the same type of drone that a stock truck with a muffler swap has

so go and do your muffler swap and take lots of pics of the exhaust system so we can see if the other guy changed anything else
then you can decide your next step from there
happy muffling! :favorites13:
Thanks for the feed back; interesting thought on the y-pipe. I will have them look at that when it is in.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I had a custom 2.5" y-pipe made up and it was a huge improvement on flow and a little bump in torque. The stock one is a huge choke point for the exhaust.

I also have a Magnaflow 3" cat back system with a single in and dual out muffler going to a set of 5" tips.

The sound is fantastic and virtually no drone. I should caveat that I also put on a set of JBA shorty titanium ceramic coated headers, too (because of the common cast iron manifold cracks and leaks).

OP
OP
Hemi Maestro

Hemi Maestro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a custom 2.5" y-pipe made up and it was a huge improvement on flow and a little bump in torque. The stock one is a huge choke point for the exhaust.

I also have a Magnaflow 3" cat back system with a single in and dual out muffler going to a set of 5" tips.

The sound is fantastic and virtually no drone. I should caveat that I also put on a set of JBA shorty titanium ceramic coated headers, too (because of the common cast iron manifold cracks and leaks).
Great. It sounds like I should look more into the y-pipe.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Great. It sounds like I should look more into the y-pipe.
Based on the OEM smashing a pair of 2.5" pipes into one pipe, yes, I'd say so.
I would not have believed the improvement had I not done it myself. It is literally night and day the better flow out of the exhaust.

The HEMI just breathes so much nicer with a free flowing custom y-pipe.

My $0.02 is to find a good custom exhaust shop that specializes in custom mandrel pipe bending and have them fabricate it right in front of you with quality stainless steel 2.5" pipe.

I also had the shop I went to install flanges so this piece could be separated from the back of the exhaust system were I to change my cat back system. It's not necessary and does add cost for flanges, hardware and gasket, but I like the piece of mind for ease of access.

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ive got a 2017 cc 5.7 with a generic magnaflow 18, it does have some drone, but moreso when the mds comes on it sound odd, so now i drive with tow/haul and d+8 turned on all the time