Major Hammering/ticking on cold start today.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
His cams not wiped, he would have a miss at higher rpm under load.
It sat for 2 1/2 weeks, I wouldn't worry about it

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
The misfire is what really concerns me, it is very possible the cam is already wiped. if it were me, I'd get a uoa. What valvoline did you use? Do you have factory warranty left? I wouldn't go redline just yet without more info.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I don't believe the cam is wiped as if it was it would be hammering all the time. Mine went away after a minute or two.

As to not shutting down quickly, I guess if I have to I will, but that's ashame and a waste of fuel. Never had another vehicle I couldn't pull out of my shop to wash, then pull back in and shut down with fear it would have valve train noise on the next start.

It's also not like I fire it and dump it in gear right away, I wait at least 30 seconds or a minute for the rpms to come down and for the oil psi to be 54, which is what I have for full oil pressure, cold.

I'm running valvoline 0w 40 European blend (Walmart sent me that and not the advanced I ordered) and a fram ultra filter.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had this happen twice in my truck and it went away in a minute or two. I quickly shut the truck off the first time and re started it in hopes it would settle down and it didn't. It was definitely hard to let it run with one lifter clattering that bad until it cleared up. My truck sits a lot so I assumed I have one lifter that bleeds down if the truck happens to be shut off when that particular lifer is on the top of the cam lobe. Hearing that this can happen after starting the truck briefly and shutting of makes sense because I'm pretty sure I had started it for a few minutes to move it and then shut it off when it happened. In any case it has done it twice in the 6 years I've owned it and other than that I have no Hemi tick whatsoever so fingers crossed I won't get it. Noisy hydraulic lifters drive me crazy. If mine ever start to make noise I will replace them as soon as possible

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's also not like I fire it and dump it in gear right away, I wait at least 30 seconds or a minute for the rpms to come down and for the oil psi to be 54, which is what I have for full oil pressure, cold.

oil psi should be 50+ within a second or two

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK, I have been wondering for years why this "cold shut down restart tic" happens. Additionally it should never be confused with the original "HEMI tick" that started with the 5.7 in 2003. The only thing that I can think of that is different from cold to hot is clearances and oil pressure. When cold at high idle, and the pressure is highest, the oil pressure relief could be open to a variable degree. When shut down the relief valve could remain open allowing oil to drain from the pressure galley. Upon restart it takes a little longer to build pressure, especially if it is a long time prior to restart. Just a theory. BTW when I have monitored it at cold start, the pressure builds as soon at it lights off...

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
My 6.4 has done this. Just a handful of times & it only lasts for a couple of seconds. It has been so infrequent I really don't worry about it. It has even blown smoke 3 or 4 times on start ups. Its a 2016 with 60k on it. Most of my Chrysler products that I have owned have made noise upon start up. And I have owned everything from a 2.2 all the way up to this 6.4.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
My 6.4 has done this. Just a handful of times & it only lasts for a couple of seconds. It has been so infrequent I really don't worry about it. It has even blown smoke 3 or 4 times on start ups. Its a 2016 with 60k on it. Most of my Chrysler products that I have owned have made noise upon start up. And I have owned everything from a 2.2 all the way up to this 6.4.

Thanks 68. I appreciate your feedback. Normally I wouldn't worry about it, but this time it was a prolonged event....I'd bet a minute and loud. That's why I shut it down initially because I knew it wasn't good. It did finally stop and ran great the rest of the day.

Unless it starts doing it frequently I'm not going to worry about it. Then again with this covid nonsense, it gets run so infrequently, it's going to be hard to track. There are worse things...

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I have had this happen twice in my truck and it went away in a minute or two. I quickly shut the truck off the first time and re started it in hopes it would settle down and it didn't. It was definitely hard to let it run with one lifter clattering that bad until it cleared up. My truck sits a lot so I assumed I have one lifter that bleeds down if the truck happens to be shut off when that particular lifer is on the top of the cam lobe. Hearing that this can happen after starting the truck briefly and shutting of makes sense because I'm pretty sure I had started it for a few minutes to move it and then shut it off when it happened. In any case it has done it twice in the 6 years I've owned it and other than that I have no Hemi tick whatsoever so fingers crossed I won't get it. Noisy hydraulic lifters drive me crazy. If mine ever start to make noise I will replace them as soon as possible

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This is exactly what my truck has done. As you said, it hurt me to let it run hammering like that but it did go away. As I said my observations are that it only happens when I start it to move it out of my shop to wash it (let it idle a minute or two) then shut down, wash, start up, let idle a 30 seconds, move back in, shut down.

The next time I start it, (on 2 occasions now, not everytime) it's done this. I'll have to be more careful about doing that and maybe take it for a run around the block before I pull it back into the shop after the wash. See if that helps.

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is exactly what my truck has done. As you said, it hurt me to let it run hammering like that but it did go away. As I said my observations are that it only happens when I start it to move it out of my shop to wash it (let it idle a minute or two) then shut down, wash, start up, let idle a 30 seconds, move back in, shut down.

The next time I start it, (on 2 occasions now, not everytime) it's done this. I'll have to be more careful about doing that and maybe take it for a run around the block before I pull it back into the shop after the wash. See if that helps.

GsRAM, as part of your troubleshooting, I suggest you let it get to temp with the oil pressure around 30 at idle in gear, assuming that is where it would be when hot... This weekend I plan on checking oil pressure during a cold stop cycle. I expect it to be 55 PSI and after a couple of hours sitting, it should "tick" when restarted... The post wash roll should also help dry out the brakes etc.. If I don't do that on my wife's SRT Challenger, the front pads "stick" on next drive, and I will get the "tick".

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The first thing you need to do is get rid of that crap Fram filter. They are no good at all. There are many threads for a comparison and it just isn't a good filter. Use the Royal Purple filter most of us use or the SRT filter which is what I use. I have it on my Hellcat and my 2014 R/T truck. They are a higher end filter and work really well.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
The first thing you need to do is get rid of that crap Fram filter. They are no good at all. There are many threads for a comparison and it just isn't a good filter. Use the Royal Purple filter most of us use or the SRT filter which is what I use. I have it on my Hellcat and my 2014 R/T truck. They are a higher end filter and work really well.

The orange can fram are garbage, the fram ultra is a high end filter, check out the reviews on BTOG. They have a silicon ADBV and are well constructed.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Most likely was an aerated lifter. It can happen when the engine sits for an extended period of time. Since the lifter is aerated you’re not getting the right amount of lift and it will run rough.

See this every now and then with trucks on the lot, there’s even a star case about it. Basically have to hold the engine at about 2500 rpm for a few minutes till the air gets out of the lifter and then it goes away.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Most likely was an aerated lifter. It can happen when the engine sits for an extended period of time. Since the lifter is aerated you’re not getting the right amount of lift and it will run rough.

See this every now and then with trucks on the lot, there’s even a star case about it. Basically have to hold the engine at about 2500 rpm for a few minutes till the air gets out of the lifter and then it goes away.

Thanks for responding TT, I always appreciate your input here. That sounds like what my issue was. I have run the truck since a few times and it's been quiet and run good. Thanks again for the info.

Bob Macknight

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
Thanks for responding TT, I always appreciate your input here. That sounds like what my issue was. I have run the truck since a few times and it's been quiet and run good. Thanks again for the info.
I too have now recently gotten "hemi tick" i think its a oil pressure issue above all.As the truck sits the oil pressure bleeds down thus causing said tick.Watching my gauges as the truck fires up it takes a second or two to show any oil pressure but it climbs fast,this is starting the engine almost as if it has no oil causing the "tick".Once the lifters get enough oil pumped up noise goes away.Sorry for the ramble.Point is there is either an issue with the design of how the oil pick-up works on these hemi`s or the lack there of an oil pressure relief valve strong enough to hold the pressure while the engine isnt running.Ive been asking around about a after market system that could be incorporated into the oiling system of these trucks and supposedly there is something out there that the race market uses.I intend to find out what that is and hopefully try one out,if i find one that works for our hemi`s i will post up