Making the move - is my gut right?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

amm24dmb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Appreciate all the constructive comments! Glad (but not glad) some of you were in the same boat with buyers remorse at one point.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
The most expensive drive you ever take is driving it off the lot.
I think only a $1600 loss is a deal really!
They still have to resell it and now it's a used truck...
I have definitely made costlier bad decisions!

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
It’s a forum. It’s what it’s for. Advice, questions, etc. Thanks Dr. Phil.

Happy to be of service, maybe my words will help someone else in their decision someday. Clearly won’t help you, but hey, it’s a free country and we’re all adults. At least in the legal sense. You want to believe the dealer’s numbers, so carry on.

John KIOhio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi everyone. So I bought a Jeep Gladiator about 6 weeks ago and I’m about to trade it in tomorrow for a 2020 Ram 1500 crew cab night edition, level 2, with the Hemi. The Jeep is fun and all, maybe an impulse buy, but it seemed like a chore driving it. Top on? Top off? Gotta put the top back on before bed. Kids are cold? Kids are hot? The steering/wandering is terrible and it is super cramped inside. I’m losing about $1,600 total by making the move and my payment is going up $60 a month, but the Ram costs 6 grand more than the Gladiator. I think I’m making the right move.
Am I??? Thanks!
It sounds like they aren't hitting you too hard. That is good.
My wife is on 2nd 4 door Wrangler Sahara(2017) and getting ready to order her 3rd. This one is manual tranny and she is tired of shifting and I don't blame her. We live in Ohio and used to go to NYC often before Corona and would always drive her Jeep because my truck fits no where in NYC parking.
The Jeep is a wanderer but not awful. She has the panels( hard top ). We have a top from Best Top that replaces the front panels so just pop it open. In the winter, we just put the panels back in. She is ordering the roof that opens with the press of a button like the other model jeeps have. The top is a pain in the ass if you don't live somewhere you can just keep it off.
We only live once. Do what is right for you.

OP
OP
A

amm24dmb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Happy to be of service, maybe my words will help someone else in their decision someday. Clearly won’t help you, but hey, it’s a free country and we’re all adults. At least in the legal sense. You want to believe the dealer’s numbers, so carry on.

A condescending computer tough guy spouting “critical thinking” and “financial” aisn’t going to help anyone!

A condescending, arrogant computer tough guy spouting “critical thinking” and “rational analysis” comments isn’t going to help anyone. Just makes you feel better about yourself. Every other post in this thread was giving their own personal experiences, opinions, tips and decisions which helps. Some people were actually in the same boat as me with a little buyer’s remorse about the Gladiator. Did they take shots about how “your gut got you into this” and “buying what the dealer is selling.” $1,600 is my total loss if I do it. Hell, I could keep both cars if I wanted to. No need for little snippy, whiney comments like yours. Crawl back into your hole.

OP
OP
A

amm24dmb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It sounds like they aren't hitting you too hard. That is good.
My wife is on 2nd 4 door Wrangler Sahara(2017) and getting ready to order her 3rd. This one is manual tranny and she is tired of shifting and I don't blame her. We live in Ohio and used to go to NYC often before Corona and would always drive her Jeep because my truck fits no where in NYC parking.
The Jeep is a wanderer but not awful. She has the panels( hard top ). We have a top from Best Top that replaces the front panels so just pop it open. In the winter, we just put the panels back in. She is ordering the roof that opens with the press of a button like the other model jeeps have. The top is a pain in the ass if you don't live somewhere you can just keep it off.
We only live once. Do what is right for you.
Thanks John!

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wife needs to read this. Wants me to trade my 17 ram on a 20 gladiator...

OP
OP
A

amm24dmb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wife needs to read this. Wants me to trade my 17 ram on a 20 gladiator...

Could be a good move for some! It’s fun. I don’t hate it. Just lacks some creature comforts, rides a bit bumpy and is pretty tight. It’s fun though! Why does she want to make the change??

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
At the end of the day you can't eat your truck, so as long as that $60 is not going to put you over your budget and into financial jeopardy it's likely money well spent. $2 a day is not a lot to pay if it help make you happy, be that on a treat like a coffee or a bit nicer truck.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
I was wanting to like the Gladiator. A smaller truck in the city would help, we've been looking for a convertible, it had enough bed room & tow capacity for our needs, I like the looks, and pricing for features it was looking better than the RAM. Looked a few over and they did not look like they would be quiet or comfortable enough for me as a daily driver and road tripper.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
Time to start using critical thinking and rational analysis when it comes to financial decisions.
Being able to work past the sunk cost fallacy demonstrates critical thinking and rational analysis when it comes to financial decisions.

There is typically a wide margin between being impulsive and paralyzed by analysis, however thorough analysis does not protect us from changing variables and misjudgement.

Sounds like there was good use of emotional intelligence. Self aware enough to recognize he's not happy, able to take ownership of the situation instead of looking to blame someone else, and motivated enough to make a change.