Manifold bolts breaking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devildog Mustang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
2020 Ram 1500 Laramie. Love it, but will never buy one again due to this issue. 62,300 miles and slight exhaust leak on both sides, that currently goes away when the engine is at operating temperature. $1,070 +tax to "fix". Outside of warranty. I have Endurance Extended Warranty, but the exhaust system is not covered. They are rated number 1 in extended warranty companies. Bought the truck because of it's reputation and consistent high marks from unbiased reviews. Unbelievable that this problem has been going on for years without resolution and the "fix" from Ram doesn't actually fix the problem. It just is a bandage!

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
2020 Ram 1500 Laramie. Love it, but will never buy one again due to this issue. 62,300 miles and slight exhaust leak on both sides, that currently goes away when the engine is at operating temperature. $1,070 +tax to "fix". Outside of warranty. I have Endurance Extended Warranty, but the exhaust system is not covered. They are rated number 1 in extended warranty companies. Bought the truck because of it's reputation and consistent high marks from unbiased reviews. Unbelievable that this problem has been going on for years without resolution and the "fix" from Ram doesn't actually fix the problem. It just is a bandage!
So just because the manifold bolts broke at 62k miles you will never buy another Ram truck again? If that is the only thing that broke on a Ram truck for me that would be a huge reason why I would buy another Ram truck lol .... fixing those broken manifold bolts is easy lol ...

Ram is not the only truck maker that has broken manifold bolts, it happens to Ford, Chevy, Toyota, NIssan all of them ....

If you are working, can do any type of labor work or are between the ages of 15-50 you should have no excuse for not being able to fix this yourself unless you have a disability or don't have tools...

Horrible reason for not wanting to buy another Ram again lol ...

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn I’ve got 20 k on my 19 1500.3 months I’ve been waiting to do headers to escape that known issue that ram shares with GM. Hopefully it makes it. Good Luck I told him I want ARP hardware

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Take a look at my thread to see my recent headaches.

They’re on but I haven’t started the truck yet. They make a nice handle for installing the heads btw
Nice!! Just went through the thread again, I thought I missed when you installed them but saw that you just bolted them up lol ...

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know about the valve seat insert flaws and should be pricing aftermarket heads but know from experience the heads will only lead to way more then the 5.7 engine is worth.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So, emoji's no longer work?

I was breaking out the popcorn for this one.

I guess your warranty company really is number 2, then.

About all you can do is get it fixed, or fix it yourself (which really isn't super-difficult, just takes some time).

If your manifolds aren't cracked, they can be milled flat and hardware replaced, if you DIY, it can be done for $300 or less to have a shop mill them for you. Belt sander method will cost you less than $150 for gaskets, hardware, and some time.

A very common issue, and not exclusive to Ram, either.

Best of luck getting it sorted.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
You should have purchased a Mopar Max Care warranty not an aftermarket one...

Roadwarrior 1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a '17 Crew 5.7 and also have the exhaust manifold bolt issue. Had Endurance and they denied the claim. I currently have 230k on the truck and just put up with it.
With regular maintenance I never had any other issues.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The bolts breaking is a stress relief not the problem itself, they do not need to be upgraded to stage 8 or ARP. The bolts breaking is like a fuse popping in an electrical circuit, you don't throw a bigger fuse in and call it good, you have to fix the root cause, the crappy manifold design/materials.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
The bolts breaking is a stress relief not the problem itself, they do not need to be upgraded to stage 8 or ARP. The bolts breaking is like a fuse popping in an electrical circuit, you don't throw a bigger fuse in and call it good, you have to fix the root cause, the crappy manifold design/materials.
Even the ARP bolts can and have snapped off ... like you said it's the fact that the manifolds are warped, the manifolds need to be machined flat "then" you can add the new header bolts ...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
What ever you do though, don't get stage 8 locking fasteners, they can cause your knock sensors to detect a "false knock" ... it can actually pull timing when it's not needed and make your truck run like **** ..... they end up vibrating and can ruin any custom tunes and even a stock truck ...