Manual to power passenger seat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ashton

Reaction score
Ram Year
'18
Engine
Hemi
Hi all,

Love my Ram, but there's a few things that have always bothered me about it. One thing is the fact that passenger seat is manual. It freaks me out when people go to adjust it and just struggle or grind the gears, so i'd really like to change it to power. The truck is a 18 sport with the vinyl/sport mesh seats, with heated seats. Is it possible to simply swap seat bases and put my seat/cushion on it? Is the wiring needed there? Does anyone know which wiring harness i need to look for? thanks

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hi all,

Love my Ram, but there's a few things that have always bothered me about it. One thing is the fact that passenger seat is manual. It freaks me out when people go to adjust it and just struggle or grind the gears, so i'd really like to change it to power. The truck is a 18 sport with the vinyl/sport mesh seats, with heated seats. Is it possible to simply swap seat bases and put my seat/cushion on it? Is the wiring needed there? Does anyone know which wiring harness i need to look for? thanks
As for wiring present I'm unsure, maybe @Mpgrimm2 makes a custom harness to add a passenger power seat?

I swapped the airbags, cushions and upholstery whole on my driver's seat going from manual to power so I feel it should be the just as easy if not more so for the passenger side.

OP
OP
Ashton

Ashton

Reaction score
Ram Year
'18
Engine
Hemi
Right on, yea I'm hoping since its power on the driver side and heated both seats that it would have the correct plugs for a simple swap. Hopefully some more members will chime in. To be honest, I've never looked under the seats, just figured I'd ask on here.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
There's a very good chance you already have the wiring to support heated & vented seats with power adjust at both.

Reference: How-To: Add Heated/Ventilated seats and Heated Wheel to Express/Tradesman

Need to see the truck side wiring for the 2 connectors under the driver seat (i400 yel & i401 grey) and the passenger side i420 (yel) where I can clearly see both rows of wires at back of the female connectors .... NOT THE SEAT SIDE.

driver side i400 (yel) & i401 (gry)

* If i400 has 3 pink & red wires at 1,7,8 you have needed power
Screenshot_20220928_214755.jpg

Passenger side i420
If i420 has pins 1-5 = heated/vented
14,15,21 are seat adj & inverter supply
i420 Rear View Pinout - wINV.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ashton

Ashton

Reaction score
Ram Year
'18
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for the reply, I'll take a look under the seats tomorrow.

OP
OP
Ashton

Ashton

Reaction score
Ram Year
'18
Engine
Hemi
Ok so heres the connector on the passenger seat, body side of the harness.

Attachments

• 20220929_190249.jpg
    20220929_190249.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
Ashton

Ashton

Reaction score
Ram Year
'18
Engine
Hemi
So looks like i have all the need wires already. Thanks again for the diagram. How difficult is to swap in the seat bases or do you need an entire seat and swap my cushions/seat covers onto it?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
After you find a passenger side seat base with the electric motors still attached

Clean it up a bit & put 12 volts to the motors

Caution; disconnect the battery

Then use a ratchet & cheater bar or Air Ratchet to break the 4 bolts loose on your current seat.
Then remove your current seat.
Next put your manual seat on something like your tailgate.
Remove the cushions from the frame, they should just unbolt.

Then bolt your cushions to the new electric frame & reinstall it in the truck

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
After you find a passenger side seat base with the electric motors still attached

Clean it up a bit & put 12 volts to the motors

Caution; disconnect the battery

Then use a ratchet & cheater bar or Air Ratchet to break the 4 bolts loose on your current seat.
Then remove your current seat.
Next put your manual seat on something like your tailgate.
Remove the cushions from the frame, they should just unbolt.

Then bolt your cushions to the new electric frame & reinstall it in the truck
I did something similar but with the whole seat as they have lumbar adjustments too.

OP
OP
Ashton

Ashton

Reaction score
Ram Year
'18
Engine
Hemi
I'm not really knowledgable on upholstery, does anyone have a diy on swapping the cushions?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm not really knowledgable on upholstery, does anyone have a diy on swapping the cushions?
I just winged it. Once you get the seat out it's easy to see how things come apart. When most people change upholstery, they do it by removing and reattaching the fabric which requires specific tools and fasteners.

It is much easier to leave the fabric attached to the cushions and swap the cushions themselves. I also swapped the airbags in the seat to avoid any possible issues.

OP
OP
Ashton

Ashton

Reaction score
Ram Year
'18
Engine
Hemi
Sorry its been so long since i posted and had to put this project on hold. So I came at ask if anyone has used the 5th gen hd power seat in a 4th gen 1500? I heard the harnesses are different but the frame itself is the same. Now if i was to use my original bag, harness and modules. I should be able to use the electric function with the addition of the red power and black ground cable. Does anyone have the seat schematic for the 19+ hd seats?

OP
OP
Ashton

Ashton

Reaction score
Ram Year
'18
Engine
Hemi
I recall someone on here saying that even 4th gen trucks without the prep have to simply run a fuse power and ground to make it work as it is independent from the bcm/modules. So by that regard i should be able to use my original parts with the 5th gen hd frame and run the wires for the seat motors.. anyone with info please chime in.

Yogee2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
I may have a power seat bottom in my garage was going to this and found a great deal on a full set of Real seats