Manual trans with hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Does anyone have a 3rd gen ram with manual trans and hemi? And how hard is an auto to manual trans swap?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It was an option on 2500's...depends on what vehicle you're trying swap in. Does it already have a hemi? Or are you considering doing this on your 4.7 truck?

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
It was an option on 2500's...depends on what vehicle you're trying swap in. Does it already have a hemi? Or are you considering doing this on your 4.7 truck?
I bought a hemi single cab about a month ago that's the one im considering to do the swap in. It's an 03

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
I bought the 03 ram to swap the hemi in my truck to get rid of the 4.7 but I'm considering to manual swap the 03 and keep the hemi in there to have some fun

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's doable...the biggest PITA is the elex. All or mostly factory parts, depending on what transmission you wanna use.

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
It's doable...the biggest PITA is the elex. All or mostly factory parts, depending on what transmission you wanna use.
Well I wanted to rebuild it with a 392 stroker kit so id have to do research on what trans would be best for it. What trans did the srt10 use? Is the bell housing bolt pattern the same? Cause that should be able to hold the extra power out put right?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well I wanted to rebuild it with a 392 stroker kit so id have to do research on what trans would be best for it. What trans did the srt10 use? Is the bell housing bolt pattern the same? Cause that should be able to hold the extra power out put right?

Bwahaha...now you've really complicated things. Should've gotten an 05 or newer, or at least an 04 lol. You're gonna need all kinds of computer and harness changes, not only to integrate a manual trans but also to tune a 392 properly. Viper truck used T56 6sp, plenty strong enough. I don't know if the bolt pattern is the same but if it isn't there are plenty of places to get adapters.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
I have the g56 in my 08 2500, the g56 has tons of torque, but its not a transmission you want to use if you are wanting a really playful stick shift, at least not in stock form...

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Bwahaha...now you've really complicated things. Should've gotten an 05 or newer, or at least an 04 lol. You're gonna need all kinds of computer and harness changes, not only to integrate a manual trans but also to tune a 392 properly. Viper truck used T56 6sp, plenty strong enough. I don't know if the bolt pattern is the same but if it isn't there are plenty of places to get adapters.
Lol I know. Believe me I searched for months for an 05 but didn't find anything for a good price. Everyone wanted more than 5k for a beat to **** truck that was taken care of by what looked like apes, most didn't run either. Then I find one for 1800 it was dirty and didn't drive but all it needed was a rear end rebuild and a good vacuum and whipe down

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Considering the assist they gave Cleveland PAP converting LX's to stick shift, you might consult hotwireauto.com about a complete conversion harness (03-05 PCM with manual trans). They've already done a few 03-05 conversions, plus you could have them change the coil pack connectors if you wanted to convert to the later coil pack setup.

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Considering the assist they gave Cleveland PAP converting LX's to stick shift, you might consult hotwireauto.com about a complete conversion harness (03-05 PCM with manual trans). They've already done a few 03-05 conversions, plus you could have them change the coil pack connectors if you wanted to convert to the later coil pack setup.
Interesting I'll contact them then

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
The hardest part will be the electronics. With any serious mods the 03 pcm needs replacing with 05 being the most common one used. And the 05 manual trans pcm being the rare unicorn. Some folks use a 05 auto pcm flashed to manual or just live with the trans faults. The swap can be done by most anyone who can read schematics and tag wires and it is really easy if you are using a stand alone trans as the tcm basically goes in the trash. There are quite a few who are using A518/46rh trans. I recommend set your goal, do your research and move forward step by step..

ric3xrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Swap the truck over to the 05 PCM 1st, then go after the Manual swap,

a T-56 is just about bolt in, Pedals, Hydraulic clutch master and ***** cylinder they are all available.
Your best bet is to save up and buy a Viper T-56 or a Magnum T-56 , I've converted a few LS/LT and Corvette T-56s over to Viper spec and in the long run it's not cheaper and the Pilot Bearing is a pain in the a$$.
Better yet if you can locate a set up out of an SRT10 truck buy it. you can use every thing, be aware the drive shaft will need some modifications because the Dana in the SRT-10 truck uses a strap type yoke and the 9.25 in your Ram uses a flange type...or just swap the Dana for the 9.25.
A TKO 500/600 you'll need to rework the trans X-member and will need a custom drive shaft.

Remember the G3 Hemi has the same bolt pattern as the Small block Mopar(318/360...5.2/5.9) and the V-6s that were used in the truck line, 3.7 and the 3.9.
http://www.rylispro.com/ good source for Transmission, Bellhousing and Flywheels...He is one of the few out that who truly speaks MOPAR.
...that's my .02 worth

EDIT , Rylis also has flywheels for any combo of Manual to G3 hemi Plus he has QuickTime Bells, Contact him and he'll work a deal on trans,Bell and flywheel.

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
or just swap the Dana for the 9.25

Good in theory, but any SRT truck that has a stick shift is going to have the wrong Dana (will be undersprung) to swap into a normal Ram UNLESS lowering the truck is in the plan.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
So a manual trans has no hookup to the computer whatsoever? Even any sensors? If you go the manual trans or manual valvebody automatic trans route, all you have to do in an 03 to 05 pcm swap is add a set of o2 sensors. The trans stuff goes all away. Then the 05 computer will plug right in

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
On a manual trans the park/neutral safety switch wire goes to the clutch switch if using a clutch. If it is stand alone auto trans then the park/neutral safety wire goes to the trans selector switch along with the reverse light. I wired both 2/1 and 2/2 o2s but have both rears turned off.

'06 Ram 2500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '06 2500 Hemi 5.7 4x4 is a manual and the clutch is easier to drive smooth than my Porsche. I have always liked driving a stick but always try to miss heavy stop and go traffic that is the norm in Houston. Acceleration sucks as does the gas mileage when pressing too hard on the vertical pedal on the right. I am not sure if it's the transmission gearing or what but acceleration is not a strong point in this truck. I have thought of getting an engine programmer but don't know if it will make much of a change. I just had my PCM go out at 43K miles and am somewhat leary about messing with the computer.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
My '06 2500 Hemi 5.7 4x4 is a manual and the clutch is easier to drive smooth than my Porsche. I have always liked driving a stick but always try to miss heavy stop and go traffic that is the norm in Houston. Acceleration sucks as does the gas mileage when pressing too hard on the vertical pedal on the right. I am not sure if it's the transmission gearing or what but acceleration is not a strong point in this truck. I have thought of getting an engine programmer but don't know if it will make much of a change. I just had my PCM go out at 43K miles and am somewhat leary about messing with the computer.

This is the first oem manual trans truck I've heard of. Nice..

Ktx7ca

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 D250 4 spd 2003 2500 Soon to be 5 spd Manual
Engine
318 and 5.7
HI Redtruck and Ian

I'm about to do a manual trans swap into a 2003 5.7 v8 2500 4x4 using the Nv4500 5 speed that was available from the factory. I have the mechanical side worked out and wiring the clutch switch and reverse lights is no problem. Where I haven't been able to find enough info is on what needs to be done with the ecu. Leave it alone, swap it with a manual ecu and rewrite the vin etc, or something in the middle.

Any light you could shed on this would be greatly arpeciatred

Thanks