Manual transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Allis Chalmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
Cummings
How about petitioning Ram for a “Last Call” to put a manual transmission in a limited number of full size diesel or gas Ram trucks? Anybody know if Ram is/would seriously consider this? Ram’s parent company is doing Dodge Last Call Hellcats with manuals.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Anybody know if Ram is/would seriously consider this?
No, not enough market demand despite the few grumblings on internet forums.
Manual transmissions have held on because of people not wanting to change, just like those that whine like babies over using a shift knob instead of a column shifter.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would buy a new truck if I could get a 1500 with manual trans
I also do not ***** about the knob just about it being automatic

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Manual transmissions have held on because of people not wanting to change, just like those that whine like babies over using a shift knob instead of a column shifter.
In a truck? Or sportscar?

If a truck, ok. If sportscar not so much. I like manuals in sportscars for the driving engagement. Personally, do not need that in a truck, no real driving engagement.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agree. Manual is fun in a Porsche. It’s a chore in a 6000 lb pickup truck.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
In a truck? Or sportscar?

If a truck, ok. If sportscar not so much. I like manuals in sportscars for the driving engagement. Personally, do not need that in a truck, no real driving engagement.
Doesn't matter, manual transmission are nice for nostalgia.
Modern sports cars auto transmissions shift faster than any human can, means more power to the ground. The trans can calculate rpm possibilities as keep you from shifting beyond what the engine is capable. Way more benefits with a paddle shift auto, that's why modern sports cars all use them.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with there not being enough demand. I don't agree with the people not wanting to change part. I don't care how much faster or better the newer automatics are I would still rather have a manual. Out of all the sticks I've had I've never thought to myself. Self this car or truck would be more fun to drive with an automatic. I know I have the not so greatly geared for a gasser 66rfe in my 16 but everyday I think to myself. Self this truck would be a hell of a lot more fun to drive with a real 6 speed.

The only change I see is the car manufacturers are making it so any lazy dumba** can drive a vehicle (lane assist, automatic braking, adaptive cruise, auto pilot etc). I like actually driving my vehicles and understanding how they work.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I agree with there not being enough demand. I don't agree with the people not wanting to change part. I don't care how much faster or better the newer automatics are I would still rather have a manual. Out of all the sticks I've had I've never thought to myself. Self this car or truck would be more fun to drive with an automatic. I know I have the not so greatly geared for a gasser 66rfe in my 16 but everyday I think to myself. Self this truck would be a hell of a lot more fun to drive with a real 6 speed.

The only change I see is the car manufacturers are making it so any lazy dumba** can drive a vehicle (lane assist, automatic braking, adaptive cruise, auto pilot etc). I like actually driving my vehicles and understanding how they work.
I blew up more M-21's / T10's etc., then i ever did automatics,and always went faster after swapping out the manual tranny for an automatic,lol. You're not building enough power if you like a stick more then an automatic :waytogo: :Big Laugh:

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
They did. It was 2018.

You can still get a 5.7 in a HeavyDuty with the manual...in Mexico..or was it Brazil.

This is why I keep my 99 V10 and NV4500HD

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I blew up more M-21's / T10's etc., then i ever did automatics,and always went faster after swapping out the manual tranny for an automatic,lol. You're not building enough power if you like a stick more then an automatic :waytogo: :Big Laugh:
I don't race. I wish I had money/time for it, but I still think I'd prefer a manual. Puts more pressure on ones self to try being better and you get better at swapping tranny's out when you blow them lol. I just put on a lot of miles for work. Average drive to the jobsite is roughly an hour and a half so a stick makes it more enjoyable especially on county roads. Even if my work beater is a 2.2 pontiac with 240k and original clutch. So yeah I'm not going fast or impressing anyone with that.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I don't race. I wish I had money/time for it, but I still think I'd prefer a manual. Puts more pressure on ones self to try being better and you get better at swapping tranny's out when you blow them lol. I just put on a lot of miles for work. Average drive to the jobsite is roughly an hour and a half so a stick makes it more enjoyable especially on county roads. Even if my work beater is a 2.2 pontiac with 240k and original clutch. So yeah I'm not going fast or impressing anyone with that.
I can can probably swap an old 4 speed faster at the track on my back then most on here could on a lift,back in my AMC days i was swapping T10's damn near every round,lol

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I am one of the babies that absolutely hates the KNOB shifter.

But thats ok. Im aloud to not like it

I also would LOVE a manual in my truck.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Manual shifting phased out, smart phones and Starbucks phased in..... coincidence? Likely not! And to think my dad had the ability to shift gears and simultaneously smack me :)
Youd be surprised the things i was able to do as well as the passenger when i had my manual trucks in the past. :birgits_tiredcoffee

Baggio95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I searched for quite a bit 6 years ago when I bought my 2012 3500 SRW with the G56 manual trans. I wanted to go back to a manual and actually drive my truck. I live in the mountains and climb in and out of passes daily. I had a 5.7l 2500 for a few months that was my first automatic and it drove me crazy always searching for a gear.

Ram was the last manufacturer to offer a manual transmission and that ended in 2018. Ford and GM stopped years before. Americans are inherently lazy when it comes to driving. We want our comfort and convenience first. They stopped because of lack of demand and the Aisin can tow way more than the G56 and has become a pretty solid transmission. I think it's pretty unlikely it will come back.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio