Manual transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Th4e clutches would not be beefy enough for the weight and most do not know how to properly start a loaded truck rolling with a stick shift unless you are a professional CDL driver. I.e. slipping the clutch to much under a heavy load only burns it up. You got to get it to the right RPM and get off the clutch quickly and let the engine take up the load.

The clutch and fly wheel would decrease engine fuel effeciency.....

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i loved my 6 speed in my 2000 Cummins 2500. would climb a tree. great for pulling.
Good looking child as Avatar, also.

IMG_2317.JPG

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Th4e clutches would not be beefy enough for the weight and most do not know how to properly start a loaded truck rolling with a stick shift unless you are a professional CDL driver. I.e. slipping the clutch to much under a heavy load only burns it up. You got to get it to the right RPM and get off the clutch quickly and let the engine take up the load.

The clutch and fly wheel would decrease engine fuel effeciency.....
The ole Heel/Toe driving ability, LOL.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

The clutch and fly wheel would decrease engine fuel efficiency.....

Yes sir

Its All about education of mechanics. Its not difficult.

We just lost interest when we found a way for a computer to do the work for us.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I think there's an extremely slim chance of ever seeing an HD stick shift in North America again. Supporting multiple configurations is bad for mass production.

Reactions: U&A

kholgate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have heard recently that the main reason for manual transmissions no longer being offered is because of the fuel economy regulations. The way they meet them is by controlling the shift patterns and adding gears / shutting off cylinders.

I do not know this to be fact, but it makes sense.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
The EPA drive loop is weighted towards automatics. It has manuals staying in each gear longer than necessary and running steady speed in those gears so the engine runs higher RPM than is necessary which reduces the mileage.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had more automatics die on me than clutches, and with significantly shorter lifespans. Automatic in my jimmy wouldn't shift right starting around 150k, a Cherokee scout that wouldn't shift into 1st or 2nd unless you manually did it, totally had one grenade in a Chevy Astro around 200k, and my dad's f250 went around 200k as well.

Compared to manuals, almost 250k in my kia on factory clutch with lots of abuse (frequently launched at 5,000 rpm, heavy towing, winter rescue missions), 300k on my Isuzu before the odometer stopped working plus another 5 years, and my current Honda that I expect at least another 200k out of. Manuals may not be for everyone, but they will take the abuse if you know how to use a clutch. I wouldn't trust abusing my ram by towing or pulling half the stuff I did in the Kia, and would love a manual for it.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have had a few trucks , with standards, a hell of a lot now that I think about it, Don't miss any of them,
But I use trucks for truck stuff , not sports car stuff, did have a couple of them, that where damn scary/ fun. I did like the 13 sp road ranger with a 855 in front, that was nice after 383 4/2.
Quite a few yrs ago, put a Allison in place of a busted 5 speed in a 5 ton, 2 sp axel, that was a nice set up , It would start up where a standard would not have. Last Dodge one was in a Dakota .It worked OK , wife did not like it. milage was not much different than my 5.7