Massachusetts exhaust options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jguida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey guys, new owner of a 2015 2500 6.4L. I was curious if anyone has dealt with replacing their exhaust in MA and what you chose to not tick the inspector off. Any other MA legal mods you found useful? Appreciated.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What are you looking to actually do? Any cat back or muffler replacement won't mess with emissions and as long as there is a muffler they won't give you a hard time.

If you want to do headers and y pipe that's another story. Let us know what you want to do and we will be glad to help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jguida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What are you looking to actually do? Any cat back or muffler replacement won't mess with emissions and as long as there is a muffler they won't give you a hard time.

If you want to do headers and y pipe that's another story. Let us know what you want to do and we will be glad to help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah sorry for not being specific. I tow a few months out of the year and getting any added torque/hp is beneficial. I was mostly looking at a catback as MA is very restrictive to addons, they specifically say they can fail your inspection due to "increased noise higher than stock levels." I'm in the 4.10 axle, 6.4L hemi if that helps. Thanks.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah sorry for not being specific. I tow a few months out of the year and getting any added torque/hp is beneficial. I was mostly looking at a catback as MA is very restrictive to addons, they specifically say they can fail your inspection due to "increased noise higher than stock levels." I'm in the 4.10 axle, 6.4L hemi if that helps. Thanks.

oh ok, got ya. What i would do is go to my local inspection shop. and be very friendly and ask how strict they are with that. explain what you are looking to do and see what they say. We have sold exhausts to MA customers so i dont think it would be a big deal BUT i would ask where ever you typically go or better yet go to a shop that does performance/offroad vehicles that does state inspection also and talk to them. It always nice to have a go to guy/shop for things like this.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey guys, new owner of a 2015 2500 6.4L. I was curious if anyone has dealt with replacing their exhaust in MA and what you chose to not tick the inspector off. Any other MA legal mods you found useful? Appreciated.

They can fail you on visual inspection if it isn't factory. My 2005 had a Flowmaster on it and the guy told me before he inspected it he would fail me as he knew it wasn't stock. Just wait, in 2018 they are putting video surveillance in all the Massachusetts inspection bays. Nothing better to do with all that extra money I guess.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Realistically a cat back or muffler isnt going to give you much or any performance increase. You might see more if you also did an intake and ported TB and def a tune.

Unless you are dead set on a cat back I would say go with the Mufflex/Magnaflow muffler. I put one on mine when the truck was still brand new and it is a pretty drastic sound difference from stock. However, not too loud. It honestly just makes the truck sound like it should and what you would expect a big HD with a 6.4 Hemi to sound like. Also, it is an easy swap in with no cutting/welding required. Just a little time and elbow grease. Which is a huge benefit if they failed your inspection. It would be a pain, but you could just swap the factory muffler back if you fail inspection, then put the Magnaflow in again after. You might also want to look into the Pedal Commander for better throttle response.

I used to live in MA, so i know how you feel. Not dealing with their BS anymore feels great. It was always about finding a shop where you knew they would let small things slide. If you dont know a shop like that then its always a gamble. So much for living free in the state that once started our revolution.

OP
OP
J

jguida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Realistically a cat back or muffler isnt going to give you much or any performance increase. You might see more if you also did an intake and ported TB and def a tune.

Unless you are dead set on a cat back I would say go with the Mufflex/Magnaflow muffler. I put one on mine when the truck was still brand new and it is a pretty drastic sound difference from stock. However, not too loud. It honestly just makes the truck sound like it should and what you would expect a big HD with a 6.4 Hemi to sound like. Also, it is an easy swap in with no cutting/welding required. Just a little time and elbow grease. Which is a huge benefit if they failed your inspection. It would be a pain, but you could just swap the factory muffler back if you fail inspection, then put the Magnaflow in again after. You might also want to look into the Pedal Commander for better throttle response.

I used to live in MA, so i know how you feel. Not dealing with their BS anymore feels great. It was always about finding a shop where you knew they would let small things slide. If you dont know a shop like that then its always a gamble. So much for living free in the state that once started our revolution.

Good to know. I'll expand my search a bit and look into the Magnaflow/Mufflex. I have no issue swapping them out at inspection time, it's just a pain to even need to do it. Appreciate the info.

OP
OP
J

jguida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
They can fail you on visual inspection if it isn't factory. My 2005 had a Flowmaster on it and the guy told me before he inspected it he would fail me as he knew it wasn't stock. Just wait, in 2018 they are putting video surveillance in all the Massachusetts inspection bays. Nothing better to do with all that extra money I guess.

I remember reading about the cameras going in.. I'll have to speak to my inspection guy and see how much he cares. The law is by far one of the dumbest I've come across.

OP
OP
J

jguida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
oh ok, got ya. What i would do is go to my local inspection shop. and be very friendly and ask how strict they are with that. explain what you are looking to do and see what they say. We have sold exhausts to MA customers so i dont think it would be a big deal BUT i would ask where ever you typically go or better yet go to a shop that does performance/offroad vehicles that does state inspection also and talk to them. It always nice to have a go to guy/shop for things like this.

Thanks, I'll speak to him when I go in for my initial inspection and see how he treats exhausts.. may have to widen my inspection radius if my shop has issues.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
LOL sounds like its time to move, that seems very crazy to be like that over a muffler.
I could maybe see doing a decibel check and not letting super loud muffler out but otherwise just silly.
Kansas has no inspection other than if you buy out of state and they just look to make sure the Vin matches the title.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hopefully I pass in December when I need my inspection done. I have a FLOWMASTER Outlaw muffler, (direct replacement muffler).

I will be ******* seething if I have to take it off. I love having the exhaust on my truck. Sounds like a faggy Prius without it. :sleepy10: :flipthebird:

-B-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Db checks are coming soon they will be in line with the cameras and live feed when the vehicle is inspected , change the tone fine change the Db and you are going to fail . There are going to be 10's of thousands of failed motorcycles this spring. The sate has not added in anything but stepping up the enforcement of what has been written for decades.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Db checks are coming soon they will be in line with the cameras and live feed when the vehicle is inspected , change the tone fine change the Db and you are going to fail . There are going to be 10's of thousands of failed motorcycles this spring. The sate has not added in anything but stepping up the enforcement of what has been written for decades.

Wow,....that includes motorcycles too?? :crazy:
You're right. TONS of motorcycles are going to fail. Including both my friends.
Unbelievable this law. Stupid if you ask me.

OP
OP
J

jguida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
For anyone checking on this.. my inspection was just done and he specifically mentioned a list of brands that would be an instant fail. Flowmaster, magnaflow headed his list. Basically has to be exact oem or they're failing people. He said starting next year it's getting more stringent. He said if it says mopar they don't care. (Joking) I wonder if I can find a Mopar stencil somewhere to just mark any aftermarket products.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For anyone checking on this.. my inspection was just done and he specifically mentioned a list of brands that would be an instant fail. Flowmaster, magnaflow headed his list. Basically has to be exact oem or they're failing people. He said starting next year it's getting more stringent. He said if it says mopar they don't care. (Joking) I wonder if I can find a Mopar stencil somewhere to just mark any aftermarket products.

Well,.......looks like I'm failing then.
Actually, I'll have my guy tell me first before I even attempt it. So,......what happens now?!? No more aftermarket exhaust for MA owners? WTF?!?! :flipthebird: :flipthebird: :flipthebird:

The motorcycle guys are going to flip.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like you MA guys need to save your stock exhaust for inspection

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jguida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well,.......looks like I'm failing then.
Actually, I'll have my guy tell me first before I even attempt it. So,......what happens now?!? No more aftermarket exhaust for MA owners? WTF?!?! :flipthebird: :flipthebird: :flipthebird:

The motorcycle guys are going to flip.

Technically they already had an asinine law against just about any aftermarket parts. I never really tried to mod my previous vehicle so it wasn't known to me. The truck.. I want to mod a bit. I'm on the hunt for.. a more lenient inspector and if anyone comes across one maybe they can share. My truck spent its first 2 years in NH and acquired a decent amount of rust on the exhaust, I mainly wanted to swap to get it looking a bit cleaner and up the performance a touch. If I happen to find anyone I can pass the information, I'm in Andover for whatever that's worth.