Massive Oil Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svdsinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
My '01 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins suddenly developed a massive oil leak. It drips constantly, to the tune of about a quart every 20 miles. There is oil all over everything below the front of the engine. (Possibly more oil on the passenger side, but that is guess work until I get it clean) I've got to get it cleaned up to find the exact source.

My initial guess is that the front main seal may have let go. Is there anything else could leak that much oil on the front of the engine?

If it is the front main seal, any advise on replacing? (E.G. Should I use a wear sleeve when I replace it? While I have the timing cover off I should check _____, etc.)

On, oh yeah, wish me luck on getting a decent weather day to do this. (Above freezing on a day I have off would be amazing.) :crazy:

OP
OP
S

svdsinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Could be a vlave cover, gasket, oil pressure sensor, lots of possibilities.
I didn't have time to do a full wash down and degreasing, but a flashlight inspection showed that there isn't any old above the crankshaft/fan shaft. I think that eliminates everything but the main seal, the oil pan gasket or (doubtfull) the oil drain plug.

Phal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I had a massive oil leak on my 5.9 that I first thought was from the blow by line, then thought was an engine oil leak. The leak ended up being transmission fluid.

The trans cooler hard lines were rubbing the seam at the block / engine oil pan due to oil line bracket failure.
Chemicals drip on the plastic brackets, the brackets crack, the lines touch the oil pan seam, drippage commences.

You have rubber lines connecting the same hard lines at the heat exchanger which fail also.

A good clue is seeing air bubbles on the tranny dipstick.

Last edited:

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you haven’t already, just clean the thing up thoroughly and then watch where it comes from. No sense speculating. Just be done with it.