Max payload

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keitholboy1991

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gotta question fellas, about to start my own mobile detailing business, ok i built a wood bed on my truck an now imma add a 200 gallon capacity tank that weighs roughly 1600lbs full, an a tool box with all my equipment, pressure washer, an a couple ladders. Should my 01 dodge ram 5.2l 5 speed manual be able to handle that weight? Imma say roughly ill have about 2500 lbs on rear including wood bed. Thanks for any info, just trying to see if the truck can handle that weight without killing it. I looked at the sticker in the door but cant figure out my max payload

7C991D82-5563-49A3-BBF4-D763E69F6FCC.jpeg

marininn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 24v
No problem with 2,500 lbs. for 3/4 or 1 ton truck.
Check on truck camper forums and see every TC there is that or more.
If sus sags then you can air bag it, or whatever mod you like. Bag should be on the leaf springs, not inside the frame or it can get toppley.
The weak link will be the axles probably or tires.
The frame and springs will be fine with this weight and will not break or get damaged.
New shocks might help if it is bouncey.

TatertotScott

The man, the myth, the legend, the one and only!
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Take it to a weigh station and find out how much weight is on the axles.

I believe your axle will be rated somewhere around 3900 lbs in the rear, on your 1500.

Also take into consideration your GVW (Gross vehicle weight) max as well as your GAVW (Gross Axle Vehicle Weight)....check your tires are LT rated as well...

The tag will have GAVW Front, GAVW Rear, these are the maximum weights your axles are rated to carry safely.

That same tag should have GVW, that is the maximum your truck is allowed to weight in total, mostly due to Emissions, braking, etc. laws.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
2500 model truck means it's load is 2,500 lbs.
??? where did you hear that? not true at all. payload on my 2500 is about 2970lbs. payload on mine if it was a diesel would be about 2200lbs. 'ballpark' yeah your close in saying that but there are too many variables to 'ballpark' it

PIPTHEREDRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
??? where did you hear that? not true at all. payload on my 2500 is about 2970lbs. payload on mine if it was a diesel would be about 2200lbs. 'ballpark' yeah your close in saying that but there are too many variables to 'ballpark' it

Thanks for the correction. Guess it's just hear say. Anyway he could just get a helper spring and have the price of mind.