Max speed in 4wd high

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
It all depends can be in just a couple of feet.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I had my POS 16 Rebel, it had the manual transfer case, and I had no problem at all driving at 70 or 80 on the highway in 4 high.

firepuppet66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I do not think there is a speed limit in using 4 wheel auto (4 high) since the transfer case and/or centre differential handle different axle speeds. Obviously good tires make a difference in confident handling. I have driven SUV's and 4x4 trucks since the 80's. In Canada (Ottawa, 2nd coldest capital city in the world, yes, colder than Moscow) I will use 4 auto even on plowed highways when conditions warrant such as sporadic black ice, sporadic snow drifts beside farm fields then none along tree lined areas. Basically when conditions can change without much warning (or any) in winter I might choose to use the 4 wheel auto. Watching your speed is an obvious thing to do. There's my 3 cents worth.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I love it when people have 4 wheel drive. They can easily get up to highway speed with little consideration; how long will it take them to to get to zero .
That was my problem ,with the factory GY crap tires, stopping, Ice is more of a problem than deep snow around here. On my 8 sp with the push buttom auto4wd, I don't think speed matters, other than driving with a brain. I have driven at 100-120 km for hrs on fair roads, ice way less.
Wife has a Honda CRV AWD and you can't tell when it is 4 wheel or 2 wheel , works great.
The truck , there is a little time before you will feel it lock up, around town.

Way back in the late 1970's had a couple jeep waggoneer , one was AWD worked fine, transmission was crap GM , Gas milage was crap as well, but all the wheels drove all the time, throu clutched in the transfer case, I think?

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
As someone has said 4wheel and all wheel are different

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My wife's 5th Gen 2019 RAM 1500 4x4 Bighorn, in the owners manual, says NOT TO EXCEED 25mph in High and NOT TO EXCEED 10mph in LOW. If you do, the computer kicks in, and brings you back down. Dealership confirmed that is EXACTLY what it is designed to do.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
My wife's 5th Gen 2019 RAM 1500 4x4 Bighorn, in the owners manual, says NOT TO EXCEED 25mph in High and NOT TO EXCEED 10mph in LOW. If you do, the computer kicks in, and brings you back down. Dealership confirmed that is EXACTLY what it is designed to do.
Then how the hell does the PowerWagon and TRX even exist.

I need to see this.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
You sure they were not trying to explain the eLocker rear end...which is still wrong bit atleast close to what they said.

UTAHPWRWGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
This thread is funny. So many answers indicate that 4wd is for snow. I probably drive more miles in 4wd than most of you and I never see snow. Essentially, as soon as my tires leave pavement I'm in 4wd. I also drive over 60 mph in 4wd all the time when the roads are straight enough with good sightlines. That's what deserts are for ;-).

Know your limits, your gears limits, the environmental limits, and have fun. 4wd is just another tool, not a superpower. Use it however you see fit.

Last edited:

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would like to see this. Can you post some pics of that statement? Just got done reading through a 2019 owner's manual and could not find those statements anywhere in the 4wd section. It does say not to exceed 25 mph in LOW, but could not find any speed recommendations for High at all. Quite frankly it sounds pretty absurd that they would only recommend 10 mph in low and 25 mph in high or have any type of electronic speed limiter for 4wd. That is REALLY slow.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure what owners manual you are using, excerpt from MY 19 manual:

When operating your vehicle in 4WD LOW, the engine
speed is approximately three times that of the 2WD or
4WD HIGH positions at a given road speed. Take care not
to overspeed the engine and do not exceed 25 mph
(40 km/h).

This electronically shifted transfer case provides five mode
positions:
• Two-Wheel Drive High Range (2WD)
• Four-Wheel Drive Automatic High Range (4WD AUTO)
• Four-Wheel Drive High Range (4WD HIGH)
• Four-Wheel Drive Low Range (4WD LOW)
• Neutral (NEUTRAL)
For additional information on the appropriate use of each
transfer case mode position, see the information below:
2WD
Rear-Wheel Drive High Range — This range is for normal
street and highway driving on dry hard surfaced roads.
4WD AUTO
Four-Wheel Drive Auto High Range — This range sends
power to the front wheels automatically when the vehicle
senses a loss of traction. This range is used during varying
road conditions.
4WD HIGH
Four-Wheel Drive High Range — This range provides
torque to the front driveshaft (engages four-wheel drive)
which allows front and rear wheels to spin at the same
speed. This provides additional traction for loose, slippery
road surfaces only.
4WD LOW
Four-Wheel Drive Low Range — This range provides low
speed four-wheel drive. It maximizes torque (increased
torque over 4WD HIGH) to the front driveshaft; allowing
front and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed. This
range provides additional traction and maximum pulling
power for loose, slippery road surfaces only. Do not exceed
25 mph (40 km/h) in this range.

Five-Position/On-Demand Transfer Case — Eight Speed
Transmission Only

The 4WD HIGH and 4WD LOW positions are designed for
loose, slippery road surfaces only. Driving in the 4WD
HIGH and 4WD LOW positions on dry hard surfaced
roads may cause increased tire wear and damage to the
driveline components.

Proper operation of four-wheel drive vehicles depends on
tires of equal size, type and circumference on each wheel.
Any difference in tire size can cause damage to the
drivetrain.
Because four-wheel drive provides improved traction,
there is a tendency to exceed safe turning and stopping
speeds. Do not go faster than road conditions permit

ADDED: I have not found any listing in manual for how fast ref 4WD High. This is where the Common Sense Factor needs to be applied. 4WD High is great, but everything has limitations, and dependent upon Multiple Environmental and Operating factors, and COMMON SENSE should be at top of list, IMHO.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
wut-dnnff6.jpg

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In my area, the vehicles that are deepest in the ditch are 4wd...cuz they're indestructible and can drive thru anything! Lol!

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
If you are in four wheel drive, you have no business driving fast as in 65 mph or more.
Its not safe.
4wd just gets you stuck in worse places.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
As said before dealerships lie often , lots do not even know their a ss from oil fill hole . My wife also knows everything !