Max towing, for real...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrei20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
That's nonsense. Around 2014, every truck sold in the USA (Ford, GMC, Chevy, Tundra, Titan) follow the same J2807 standard for towing.
I don't say they don't, they can be compliant to whatever standards they want. I am just saying that Volvo being one of the safest brands in the world will not put people at risk by inflating their numbers. I have the car for 10 years now, and 100 thousand kms, and I can say it's a solid piece of engineering, designed in the 90's, it still goes strong. At it's age, and at 232 thousand km the rear suspension is all original, and still has a smooth ride, no knocks, and doesn't wear the tires. The front, I did the toe in by myself in my garage, with a measuring tape about 5 years ago, after I removed, cleaned the steering rack and replaced the tie-rods. No issues since. I am a mechanic and I service and repair my cars entirely by myself. Nobody else ever touched any of my cars that I own or owned in the past. and I rebuilt transmissions, removed and installed cylinder heads, changed timing chains and many others. The only thing that I don't have is tire mounting and wheels balancing equipment. And even there, I remove the wheels at home and take them to the tire shop, after a tire shop screwed up my secret bolts, I don't trust them even that.
I have one set of winter nokians that I use the 8th season already. The summer tires on different rims are about 5 years old. Just even wear as supposed to.
I towed a U-Haul trailer with furniture for 500kms , I would guesstimate at around 2000lbs, no problems, the car is solid, gives confidence at driving. Very good car. So I think your assumption that Volvo will advertise some towing numbers without making sure it's safe is not appropriate. I trust that vehicle, more than the American standards of any sorts.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't say they don't, they can be compliant to whatever standards they want. I am just saying that Volvo being one of the safest brands in the world will not put people at risk by inflating their numbers.

The simple fact is; volvo does not test their stuff using J2807, therefore you cannot directly compare GCWR values between volvo and anything else. You can only compare trucks that are tested using the same methodology.

The J2807 standard measures (for example) 0 to 30, 0 to 60 performance, breaking distance, minimal understeer/oversteer, there are tests designed to ensure proper cooling etc etc.

There is not a chance on this green earth that volvo's standards are going to be higher than those of heavy duty 1 ton work trucks designed to take a beating each and every day.

volvo is a family hauler, 99% of those things won't work a day in their life.

I suggest you click this link, it's a great read and explains what J2807 is all about:

Andrei20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The simple fact is; volvo does not test their stuff using J2807, therefore you cannot directly compare GCWR values between volvo and anything else. You can only compare trucks that are tested using the same methodology.

The J2807 standard measures (for example) 0 to 30, 0 to 60 performance, breaking distance, minimal understeer/oversteer, there are tests designed to ensure proper cooling etc etc.

There is not a chance on this green earth that volvo's standards are going to be higher than those of heavy duty 1 ton work trucks designed to take a beating each and every day.

volvo is a family hauler, 99% of those things won't work a day in their life.

I suggest you click this link, it's a great read and explains what J2807 is all about:
I have read them already, and, well, all I can say is that this standards just put some requirements for the local market for the manufacturers. But, if a car owner's manual says I can tow safely up to 5000lbs with a 2007 Volvo XC90, or up to 5600lbs with a 2022 Ford explorer, or up 7500lbs with a 2012 Mercedes GL350, or up to 9300lbs with a 2023 Ford Expedition, or.. pick any other SUV that is rated more than that RAM, that means no one in the world can tell me that I can't, as long as I follow the manufacturer's recommendations regarding all the weight ratings, towed, combined, whatever. And that's it, my Volvo is rated at 5000lbs, I can tow 5000lbs. I will adjust my maintenance accordingly, the oil viscosities, the maintenance intervals, I will add a transmission oil cooler, as the manufacturer recommends, and I will be ok. I can tow all day long.
And as I said, I towed my 6300lbs camper for a few thousand kms with my Mercedes. No problems, consumption around 20l/100kms, all temperatures within limits, going 100-110km/hour. No problems, very stable, good braking, the trailer has its electric brakes, and the brake controller was adjusted properly. Didn't even feel that I tow, only when accelerating, a needed a bit more time to get up to cruising speed, but that is just like any other pickup with a trailer behind. You should read about Mercedes towing and look at pictures online, you'd be surprised how good they are. Don't think that Europeans don't know how to build cars. They have better and more powerful diesel engines there that will put the american ones to shame. Show me a 4 litre american diesel that puts out 435 horses, or a 3.0 diesel that puts out 386 horses in a production car. You won't find one here. But it's all politicians that under the "environmental" reasons don't let those diesel V8s on this market, because no one will buy this Tahoes and Escalades with their big gas guzzlers. And if I had a V8 diesel in my Mercedes like they have in Europe, I wouldn't have bought my 3500 ram. That's the only reason I bought it, not to stress the not so big 3.0 v6. Yes, it's a family hauler, same as the 2022 Ford explorer, which is rated at 5600lbs towing capacity, more than this post owner's Ram. So that J-whatever standard means nothing to me. If you're stopped at a DOT station and inspector sees that you're weights are within towing limits, you're good to go.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm not familiar with Volvo, so how they calculate towing capacity interested me.

I looked up some data on an XC90 on Volvo's website just to get an idea. It does show a max tow rating of 5k lbs (with the note "when properly equipped") unless you have a front wheel drive. Then it's 4k lbs. I also read that this rating only applies to towing in altitudes not to exceed 3,280 ft above sea level. For every additional 3,280 ft above that the tow rating is reduced by 10% to account for decreased engine power. But they don't do a very good job explaining what "properly equipped" means.

It doesn't appear to be cut and dry, which is no different than a Ram or any other vehicle that tows. Volvo and similar vehicles which aren't really designed with towing in mind are very vague in their tow ratings. It will likely tow it just fine, but point being that you still have to do your diligence and look at the data for your specific vehicle, and not use the blanket statement that is in the owner's manual.

The Ford Explorer is an easier one because they do use the J2807 method. Ford also sticks this caveat at the bottom of their tow chart for the Explorer:

"Maximum towing capabilities are for properly equipped vehicles with required equipment and a 150-lb. driver and passenger and vary based on cargo, vehicle configuration, accessories, option content and number of passengers. See label on door jamb for carrying capacity of a specific vehicle. For additional information, see your Ford Dealer"
Further down, they also include this:

"Under certain conditions, however, (e.g., when the trailer has a large frontal area that adds substantial air drag or when trailering in hilly or mountainous terrain) it is wise to choose a vehicle with a higher rating"

And this:

"Your specific vehicle’s tow capability could be reduced based on weight of selected trim series and option content."

You can't just say that if the manual says you can do it, that you can. These manuals are written generically with enough legalese to get them out of any potential lawsuits. You have to put in the effort to determine what is safe and practical versus what the advertisement said it could do.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
But, if a car owner's manual says I can tow safely up to 5000lbs with a 2007 Volvo XC90, or up to 5600lbs with a 2022 Ford explorer, or up 7500lbs with a 2012 Mercedes GL350, or up to 9300lbs with a 2023 Ford Expedition, or.. pick any other SUV that is rated more than that RAM, that means no one in the world can tell me that I can't, as long as I follow the manufacturer's recommendations regarding all the weight ratings, towed, combined, whatever.

I can safely tow more than my truck is rated for as well. I don't think you're understanding what a standard means. No doubt your volvo would be rated less if it was tested using j2807.

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a Honda Pilot that did a really good job on defining the towing capabilities in the manual. It went through payload and how many seats you could fill with x weight person and normal tongue weight, it went through estimating tongue weight based on how much the rear wheel well drops when you put the trailer on, and it went through frontal area on trailers and the impact on tow capacities and suggested that while a 4500 pound boat or car trailer was OK that large frontal area trailers should be limited to 3500.

I was really impressed with the detail that Honda went into for towing.

Andrei20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I'm not familiar with Volvo, so how they calculate towing capacity interested me.

I looked up some data on an XC90 on Volvo's website just to get an idea. It does show a max tow rating of 5k lbs (with the note "when properly equipped") unless you have a front wheel drive. Then it's 4k lbs. I also read that this rating only applies to towing in altitudes not to exceed 3,280 ft above sea level. For every additional 3,280 ft above that the tow rating is reduced by 10% to account for decreased engine power. But they don't do a very good job explaining what "properly equipped" means.

It doesn't appear to be cut and dry, which is no different than a Ram or any other vehicle that tows. Volvo and similar vehicles which aren't really designed with towing in mind are very vague in their tow ratings. It will likely tow it just fine, but point being that you still have to do your diligence and look at the data for your specific vehicle, and not use the blanket statement that is in the owner's manual.

The Ford Explorer is an easier one because they do use the J2807 method. Ford also sticks this caveat at the bottom of their tow chart for the Explorer:

"Maximum towing capabilities are for properly equipped vehicles with required equipment and a 150-lb. driver and passenger and vary based on cargo, vehicle configuration, accessories, option content and number of passengers. See label on door jamb for carrying capacity of a specific vehicle. For additional information, see your Ford Dealer"
Further down, they also include this:

"Under certain conditions, however, (e.g., when the trailer has a large frontal area that adds substantial air drag or when trailering in hilly or mountainous terrain) it is wise to choose a vehicle with a higher rating"

And this:

"Your specific vehicle’s tow capability could be reduced based on weight of selected trim series and option content."

You can't just say that if the manual says you can do it, that you can. These manuals are written generically with enough legalese to get them out of any potential lawsuits. You have to put in the effort to determine what is safe and practical versus what the advertisement said it could do.
I understand all that, of course, you should use your brains before you attach a trailer to your vehicle. And "properly equipped", if you go the official dealer, they will tell you that it has to have a factory installed hitch receiver, which my Volvo has, a brake controller, which I am not sure if it has, but can be easily added, and the Trailer Safe Assist is already programed in the electronic control unit as part of the Digital stability control system, and is triggered once you connect the trailer electrical wiring, the car knows that it has a trailer hooked up and behaves accordingly. That's it. Besides that, my Volvo is equipped with rear self leveling suspension, so no squat there when you start driving.
And of course, you take in consideration all other factors, how many people you have in your car, how much luggage, the altitude, all the rest, in three words, use your brains to be safe. And no one in the right mind will use the car to tow a trailer at its maximum capacity, the dynamic loads on the car, specifically on the hitch, during driving might be a lot higher than the rated numbers. That's why I think being at around 2/3, or maximum 3/4 of the maximum towing capacity would be safe.
And we started this talk here when I compared my 2007 Volvo to the 2012 ram 1500, which is also pre- J2807 standard, and everything that I said about what would a dealer say, and about being properly equipped would apply to the Ram too, and any other vehicle before 2014. So, apples to apples. At the end of all, use your brains. And at a dealer, the first thing that they will do when you ask them how much you can tow, they will open the same book or same online information about your vehicle that you have already found. They are just salesmen, they will not assume higher numbers out of nothing, as you said, it's all liability and lawsuit. Here's the book, there's the numbers, follow recommendations. 2007 Volvo xc90 - 5000lbs when properly equipped, 2012 Ram 1500 rwd - 3600 or whatever lbs towing capacity, also, when properly equipped.

Andrei20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I can safely tow more than my truck is rated for as well. I don't think you're understanding what a standard means. No doubt your volvo would be rated less if it was tested using j2807.
The 2012 ram 1500 that I compared my Volvo to is also pre-j2807, so forget about the standard. Look at the book, and you have a number. Go to the dealer and ask, they will open the same book as you have. Check the asterisk* (when properly equipped), applies to pretty much all the vehicles, before, or after 2014. And use your brains, no one in the right mind will tow more, or right at the maximum towing capacity. 2/3 or 3/4 of it, and you'll have no problems, and again, do the homework, use you brains and check the weight limits to stay within numbers.
And why would it be rated less? The post 2014 vehicles with the same curb weight are rated at the same, or around 5000lbs, or even more. What changed? Pretty much nothing. 5000lbs is just another vehicle of about the same size towed behind, which in Europe in many countries is very much allowed to do. The only thing is the tongue weight, should not exceed that. So all your doubts are just your personal feelings, and nothing else. A 2018 jeep grand Cherokee will tow 7200lbs. Doubt that too? Or because it's american made it must be stronger than a Volvo? Do not underestimate the European vehicles. They are very well engineered, and very well built. Yes, you have the right to have your doubts, but I will follow the numbers.

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The 2012 ram 1500 that I compared my Volvo to is also pre-j2807

Exactly! Now you're getting it. You're comparing two cars that have not been tested using the same standard and methodology, so whatever tow ratings you get on both cars are apples to oranges. It's really that simple.

Andrei20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Exactly! Now you're getting it. You're comparing two cars that have not been tested using the same standard and methodology, so whatever tow ratings you get on both cars are apples to oranges. It's really that simple.
Looks like you didn't get it yet. You doubt the Volvo, but not the Ram, and you don't doubt the 2018 Grand Cherokee with it's 7200lbs towing capacity. Why? Personal feelings about Volvo? Proud of american made? Denying everything foreign? Did you own a Volvo? The car is built probably at the best safety standards, and as I said, at 15 years and 232 tkm it has no rust on the body at all. And it's driven everyday in a climate with 6 months of snow and salt on the roads. Some surface rust on some suspension elements and that's it. And owning a RAM, I can say that it's built cheap. That's why they're all pretty much rust buckets after 10-15 years of use.
So, still, I would trust the Volvo recommendations more than the j2807 standard, which is mostly just about braking and accelerating numbers, and not the strength and the quality of the materials used to build a car.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Looks like you didn't get it yet. You doubt the Volvo, but not the Ram, and you don't doubt the 2018 Grand Cherokee with it's 7200lbs towing capacity.

What part of this do you not understand? volvo GCWR cannot be compared to ram 1500 GCWR. They use different ratings, tests, measurements. You're comparing apples to oranges.

You go on and on about completely irrelevant details. Next you're going to tell me what your preferred topping of toast is. Don't care. My message to you has always been: volvo GCWR cannot be compared to Ram 1500 GCWR because they use different measurements and tests to get to those numbers.

Andrei20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
What part of this do you not understand? volvo GCWR cannot be compared to ram 1500 GCWR. They use different ratings, tests, measurements. You're comparing apples to oranges.

You go on and on about completely irrelevant details. Next you're going to tell me what your preferred topping of toast is. Don't care. My message to you has always been: volvo GCWR cannot be compared to Ram 1500 GCWR because they use different measurements and tests to get to those numbers.
And the end numbers are what you can legally and safely tow. I don't care how they came up to them. And that's it, end of story.

Andrei20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins

And here's some numbers: 2012 ram 1500 rwd with a 3.7 engine std cab GVWR is 6025lbs, Volvo is 6060lbs, the Gross combined for Ram is 8500lbs. Couldn't find for Volvo. And the trailer weight, 3800lbs for ram and 5000 for Volvo. That's it. These are the numbers, like them or not, and how the manufacturers came up to them, I don't care. All I know is that the ram 1500 is just an SUV with a box instead of a trunk. They are 4518lbs base weight for the ram and 4544lbs for the Volvo. You can go to both official dealers and ask, and they will open the books for you and tell you the same things. Believe it or not, your right.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
And here's some numbers: 2012 ram 1500 rwd with a 3.7 engine std cab GVWR is 6025lbs, Volvo is 6060lbs, the Gross combined for Ram is 8500lbs. Couldn't find for Volvo. And the trailer weight, 3800lbs for ram and 5000 for Volvo. That's it. These are the numbers, like them or not, and how the manufacturers came up to them, I don't care. All I know is that the ram 1500 is just an SUV with a box instead of a trunk. They are 4518lbs base weight for the ram and 4544lbs for the Volvo. You can go to both official dealers and ask, and they will open the books for you and tell you the same things. Believe it or not, your right.

Those are pretty numbers. For the 10th time, each manufacturer not using J2807, chooses their own tests and decides on their own how to rate their cars/trucks.

You. Can't. Compare. Those. Numbers. Across. Brands.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think you're cherry picking a bit here......

Look at ALL the options. The below are direct from Ram's 2012 Ram 1500 Trailer Tow and payload selector sheet.

2012 Ram 1500 ST, Reg cab, 3.7 V6
They offer 2 GVWRs:

If you step up to a 4.7L V8 in the same trim as above:
They offer 3 GVWRs:

If you get the 5.7 Hemi:
They offer 3 GVWRs:

The gross combined should all be factored as well:

3.7 V6 - 8,500 lbs
4.7 V8 - 11,250 or 12,500 depending on rear axle ratio
5.7 Hemi - 14,000 or 15,500 depending on rear axle ratio

It appears that you are trying to compare a Volvo suv to a full sized half ton truck. Sorry, but there's no comparison. Volvo offers 2 options. An XC90 that can tow 4,000 lbs, or one that can tow 5,000 lbs. It's dependent upon which engine is in the car. Nothing more.

Serious question and not poking at you by asking this.... if Rams are of subpar quality (don't tell that to my old Audi A4... talk about a flaming pile of "well built" German engineering), then why do you own one?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Look at ALL the options. The below are direct from Ram's 2012 Ram 1500 Trailer Tow and payload selector sheet.

They offer 2 GVWRs:

They offer 3 GVWRs:

If you get the 5.7 Hemi:
They offer 3 GVWRs:

3.7 V6 - 8,500 lbs

It appears that you are trying to compare a Volvo suv to a full sized half ton truck. Sorry, but there's no comparison. Volvo offers 2 options. An XC90 that can tow 4,000 lbs, or one that can tow 5,000 lbs. It's dependent upon which engine is in the car. Nothing more.

Serious question and not poking at you by asking this.... if Rams are of subpar quality (don't tell that to my old Audi A4... talk about a flaming pile of "well built" German engineering), then why do you own one?

He's completely clueless to be honest. What you can tow is limited by multiple limits: GCWR, RAWR, GVWR are the main ones, you can't exceed any one of those 3. He of course doesn't look into any of that, just naively thinking that he can hook up each and any trailer he wants as long as it weighs < 5000 pounds because hey Volvo gave him that number.

The ram in this argument is limited due to the engine in that specific truck. Drop a v8 in and suddenly it will tow double/triple that with all else being the same.

Andrei20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins

They offer 2 GVWRs:

They offer 3 GVWRs:

If you get the 5.7 Hemi:
They offer 3 GVWRs:

3.7 V6 - 8,500 lbs

Initially i said that the Volvo is rated to 5000lbs compared to 3800lbs of this post owner's 2012 ram in his configuration. And the other guy started having all kind of doubts about it. Well, his right. But the numbers are official, from the manufacturer, and they are not from thin air. I believe a good crew of engineers thought well and did some testing before they put those numbers in the book, we like it or not. And that's the reference if the question comes up of how much it can tow.
Yes, there are other configurations of the 2012 year Ram that are rated higher, but we're not talking about them. I was surprised that, as you say, "a full size half ton" pickup has such a small towing capacity. Which I call them now half-trucks, :)) compared to my one ton Ram with it's high output Cummins. Sorry, half-ton owners, :))
As for why I own one, is because I don't have another choice. If there was an European pickup truck on the North American market available with a diesel engine, I would have bought it. Or if there were V8 diesel Mercedes GL, or Audi q7, or Touareg like they have in Europe, I would have got one of those. I was thinking of buying a 2016-17 Nissan Titan with a V8 Cummins, but for about the same price(a good price), I found this 2016 Ram 3500 Longhorn Laramie, 6.7 high output Cummins, deleted, with Aisin transmission, crew cab, short box, canopy, pearl white, very good shape, clean title compared to others that I saw, with little engine hours (3600) and, most important, little idle hours(360), 178 thousand kms, that I just couldn't pass by. I thought, well, compared to a Titan, a Ram is a Ram. And all last year I was checking the prices for the same configuration that I have, and they were about 5-7 thousand higher.
But, as a mechanic by trade, and looking at the quality of the factory paint job and everything else on this truck, I can not justify that one of these trucks brand new costs more than $100 thousand CAD now. Well, it's a good truck, but they could have done better, and I will just try to keep mine alive and in good shape for as long as I can, that means rust proofing it every year, and I use it mostly only to tow my camper in the summer, last winter it was parked with a battery maintainer connected, started it only twice since November. For just everyday drive around we have the Volvo, and for long distances without towing or big cargo we have the diesel Mercedes. Very efficient and smooth. I change the oils in my cars by hour meters, I installed on Volvo and Mercedes, and transmission and steering filters, additional 2 microns fuel filters on the Mercedes and Ram, so, my vehicles will last, I hope.

Attachments

• IMG_20220427_085729.jpg
    IMG_20220427_085729.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Andrei20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
He's completely clueless to be honest. What you can tow is limited by multiple limits: GCWR, RAWR, GVWR are the main ones, you can't exceed any one of those 3. He of course doesn't look into any of that, just naively thinking that he can hook up each and any trailer he wants as long as it weighs < 5000 pounds because hey Volvo gave him that number.

The ram in this argument is limited due to the engine in that specific truck. Drop a v8 in and suddenly it will tow double/triple that with all else being the same.
Of course, you have very much of a clue. I very well understand all these numbers, and they apply to every other vehicle, so yes, i can repeat one more time for a gifted person like you, I can tow a trailer with a maximum weight of 5000lbs, loaded properly, so not exceeding the tongue weight on the hitch, which would be part of the payload, and not exceeding the axle weight, because I will not go over the payload limit of the car, and stay within all the weights limits. Within 5000lbs of maximum trailer weight, and within 1100smth lbs of payload, including fuel, passengers, cargo, tongue weight, and within the length of the hitch that this tongue weight is applied.
So just accept it. 5000lbs. Let this number haunt you at night. :)

Andrei20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Those are pretty numbers. For the 10th time, each manufacturer not using J2807, chooses their own tests and decides on their own how to rate their cars/trucks.

You. Can't. Compare. Those. Numbers. Across. Brands.
But. I. Can. Tow. 5000lbs. Who. Are. You. To. Tell. Me. That. I. Can't?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Of course, you have very much of a clue. I very well understand all these numbers, and they apply to every other vehicle, so yes, i can repeat one more time for a gifted person like you, I can tow a trailer with a maximum weight of 5000lbs, loaded properly, so not exceeding the tongue weight on the hitch, which would be part of the payload, and not exceeding the axle weight, because I will not go over the payload limit of the car, and stay within all the weights limits. Within 5000lbs of maximum trailer weight, and within 1100smth lbs of payload, including fuel, passengers, cargo, tongue weight, and within the length of the hitch that this tongue weight is applied.
So just accept it. 5000lbs. Let this number haunt you at night. :)

Yeah you can hang out in my blocked users list for a while, not enough time in the day to waste on nonsense like this.