MaxCare Lifetime Warranty Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 8-speed tranny is failing on me. The local dealer confirmed various issues and submitted a request to Chrysler for it to be replaced two weeks ago. I have the Lifetime Chrysler MaxCare warranty. It’s showed as “Pending” in Chrysler’s system ever since and my dealer says there’s nothing they can do but wait. They said all of Chryslers dealer support lines have been shut down so they can’t even talk to Chrysler anymore.

RamCares opened a case number for me and a Chrysler rep did contact me last week. While they were sympathetic they offered no resolution and they seemed as helpless to resolve this as my local dealer.

No truck, no rental, and no ETA on authorization.

Anyone else having issues with Chrysler authorizing warranty repairs?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Thikning they have no transmissions for repairs so do not want ot authorize a replacement, which would start the rental fees, with no end date, in sight.

My ADvice, do what you are doing. Open threads, post on eveyr forum you cna think of and let RAM know what you are doing, including RAMCARES, right here on this forum.
If they are gong to Suck, let the World know about it, so fewer people get sucked in to this Vortex of Ineptness.

OP
OP
R

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No rental because they don’t cover it until the repair is authorized.

The only number on my MaxCare warranty is 1-800-521-9922. That’s Mopar’s published Customer Care number. Not specific to MaxCare warranties but might be worth a try.

Unfortunately, the only rational explanation is provided by gofishn above.

Really disappointing.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Really disappointing.
I can sure understand that. Lots of reports of this kind of thing, across all the brands. Not making excuses for them. We pay this much for trucks and ext warranties, I think we have the right to expect better service. Sad state of affairs.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I hate hearing this. MaxCare was one of the few things that I could depend on.

Twice I've had a MaxCare claim, once on my 2013 (no longer own) and once on my 2015. Both times I dropped the vehicle off at the service department, they put me in an Enterprise vehicle, diagnosed the problem, and contacted a MaxCare rep who authorized the repair, parts ordered, and repair made. It was just that simple.

OP
OP
R

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After leaving my dealers request in “Pending” status for almost 3 weeks (with all requests for info previously submitted by my dealer), I spent an hour and a half on the phone with Chrysler today. Here’s what I learned.

Talking to Chrysler on MaxCare warranty issues is pointless. They state that they don’t handle them, Mopar Vehicle Protection does. Don’t bother explaining to them that they’re part of the same company, their answer is “We (Chrysler) can’t talk to them (Mopar Vehicle Protection)”.

Chrysler will then offer to transfer you to Mopar Vehicle Protection. You’ll be on hold a while, but they do pick up. After you explain the situation they will say yes we can help you with that. They will then put you on hold for 20 minutes. When someone finally does pick up you will find that Mopar has transferred you back to Chrysler, who will tell you (again) that they can’t help you.

So you go through the same process again but this time you insist that Chrysler stay on the line with Mopar. They did this, which only proves that they can in fact talk to each other.

After explaining the situation again with both parties on the phone so they can’t point the finger at each other, Mopar will then tell you that they in fact cannot help you. Now they’ll say only “Digital Imaging” can help you, but you can’t speak to them, only the dealer can communicate with them by email.

You will then explain that Digital Imaging then is the department that’s left this in pending mode for almost 3 weeks, when all their requests have long ago been responded to, and I need assistance in getting this unstuck, and I’m asking Mopar Vehicle Protection for that assistance since this is your warranty.

They will say again that they can’t help you, only Digital Imaging can and I need to have my dealer email Digital Imaging, which of course they’ve already been doing, and which of course, is simply a department of the same company that’s saying they can’t help me.

Regardless of how frustrating this has been, I’ve tried to refrain from any inflammatory commentary and simply posted the facts. This is apparently the situation we have with our MaxCare warranties at the moment, at least if it involves a transmission.

Hopefully they’ll do the right thing and things will improve in the future.

OP
OP
R

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As an update, my dealer got the authorization from “Digital Imaging” on Thursday and they completed the install yesterday. I’ll be picking it up later today.

It’s been a month since I dropped it off but I’m just glad to be getting it back.

I’ve heard that most of these 8-speed trannys are now made in Germany but some are still made in the US. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if there’s a way to tell the difference by checking the model or serial number stamped on the tranny?

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
As an update, my dealer got the authorization from “Digital Imaging” on Thursday and they completed the install yesterday. I’ll be picking it up later today.

It’s been a month since I dropped it off but I’m just glad to be getting it back.

I’ve heard that most of these 8-speed trannys are now made in Germany but some are still made in the US. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if there’s a way to tell the difference by checking the model or serial number stamped on the tranny?
Mine said Germany on my window sticker

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You have more than adequate documentation and tracking of the issue and what you and your dealer did to try and resolve it. If it were me I would be filing a small claims action for recovery of a month of rental vehicle. Only thing large companies seem to understand lately is getting sued. They almost always settle because it costs them more to go to court than the claim is worth but seems it is the only way to get them to live up to their obligations.

Glad you finally got your truck back.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got a letter from Chrysler, Stellinis, or whatever the name is, wanting to sell me one of their long term warranties, since my truck is just out of factory warranty.

I ripped it up and threw it in the trash. I'll take my chances rather than have to jump through maintenance hoops and the stress the dealer and factory puts you through.

I'm too old to put up with the crap from the dealer and factory for something you paid extra for. I'll get it fixed myself, or let it sit.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I got a letter from Chrysler, Stellinis, or whatever the name is, wanting to sell me one of their long term warranties, since my truck is just out of factory warranty.

I ripped it up and threw it in the trash. I'll take my chances rather than have to jump through maintenance hoops and the stress the dealer and factory puts you through.

I'm too old to put up with the crap from the dealer and factory for something you paid extra for. I'll get it fixed myself, or let it sit.
I agree. I don’t buy extended warranties Because my experience has been that if something is going to fail it will often evidence within the standard warranty. If it’s after that, I fix the issue, get rid of the vehicle, and buy from another marque. I’m on my third FCA vehicle, all bought new, and have never had an issue outside the standard warranty (touch wood).

best,
DG

anchorsaweigh

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is exactly why I don't bother with extended warranties. With the basic warranty, service only sucks for the short duration. With an extended warranty, you pay for crap service long term.

Uncle Damo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 8-speed tranny is failing on me. The local dealer confirmed various issues and submitted a request to Chrysler for it to be replaced two weeks ago. I have the Lifetime Chrysler MaxCare warranty. It’s showed as “Pending” in Chrysler’s system ever since and my dealer says there’s nothing they can do but wait. They said all of Chryslers dealer support lines have been shut down so they can’t even talk to Chrysler anymore.

RamCares opened a case number for me and a Chrysler rep did contact me last week. While they were sympathetic they offered no resolution and they seemed as helpless to resolve this as my local dealer.

No truck, no rental, and no ETA on authorization.

Anyone else having issues with Chrysler authorizing warranty repairs?
Out of curiosity, how many miles and how do you use your truck, any towing/hauling ?

I have the Maxcare and so far it's been great in replacing a couple exhaust manifolds and entire driveshaft + bearings. Only 73k miles on my '14.

Tmoney316

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also, something to note with the Maxcare Lifetime Warranty is that once you hit 100,000 miles they don't give you a loaner vehicle or pay for a rental vehicle unless you take in in for an actual Recall.

RamRider60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hopefully you will never need a new engine wiring harness for your truck. I have a 2013 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 liter V8. I have posted this story before and I'm amazed this Forum hasn't hit this as much as it could. The MaxCare Lifetime Warranty has the engine wiring harness listed as a covered part. Worked with Customer Care Rep and dealership to find one and be on my way. After 2.5 months at the dealership, I was told by Mopar Customer Care that there wasn't a new harness that they could find and they basically dropped me like a rock. Turns out they discontinued the harness a year+ earlier and never told any truck owners with the LifeTime Warranty that they had done so. My truck had just turned seven years old at that point. Told me to work with the dealership to find a Salvage harness and as a remedy situation, they offered a coupon to go to the purchase of a new vehicle if I wanted to accept that. Of course, they would not tell me the coupon's worth until AFTER I signed on the dotted line for the new truck. I got the harness repaired by an outstanding company out in Utah. I was without a truck for a grand total of 19 months and the deaIer actually charged me to put the wiring harness back in because Customer Care wouldn't cover the re-installation because they closed the case. An easy solution would have been to give me a modified version of either a 2012 or 2014 engine harness to get it work and I would have been fine with that. So yes, they could do something for you if they really did care but guess what, they don't. They are only interested in the repeat customer who trades in his vehicle every three to four years and gets a new one. Any other customer, especially with a Lifetime Warranty, it's only good for as long as they want to support it. Just discontuing parts that you can't get anywhere else but them, allows them to void that part of the warranty because you have to go salvage and that voids their coverage from then on out. Too bad because I was their biggest promoter because I loved the truck so much. Now, I'll never buy another Dodge product ever again. Just waiting to see what this Toyota Stout is all about next year or a Honda Ridgeline. I'm currently in litigation with Mopar and of course, they are dragging this out so they don't have to pay for my costs incurred to get my truck back on the road. They offered $500 for a settlement. The litigation continues..........

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

At one time the eight speeds for Rams (8HP70, 75) were all from Germany. The same basic transmission for the PentaStars were made in the U.S.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 87633 miles.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hopefully you will never need a new engine wiring harness for your truck. I have a 2013 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 liter V8. I have posted this story before and I'm amazed this Forum hasn't hit this as much as it could. The MaxCare Lifetime Warranty has the engine wiring harness listed as a covered part. Worked with Customer Care Rep and dealership to find one and be on my way. After 2.5 months at the dealership, I was told by Mopar Customer Care that there wasn't a new harness that they could find and they basically dropped me like a rock. Turns out they discontinued the harness a year+ earlier and never told any truck owners with the LifeTime Warranty that they had done so. My truck had just turned seven years old at that point. Told me to work with the dealership to find a Salvage harness and as a remedy situation, they offered a coupon to go to the purchase of a new vehicle if I wanted to accept that. Of course, they would not tell me the coupon's worth until AFTER I signed on the dotted line for the new truck. I got the harness repaired by an outstanding company out in Utah. I was without a truck for a grand total of 19 months and the deaIer actually charged me to put the wiring harness back in because Customer Care wouldn't cover the re-installation because they closed the case. An easy solution would have been to give me a modified version of either a 2012 or 2014 engine harness to get it work and I would have been fine with that. So yes, they could do something for you if they really did care but guess what, they don't. They are only interested in the repeat customer who trades in his vehicle every three to four years and gets a new one. Any other customer, especially with a Lifetime Warranty, it's only good for as long as they want to support it. Just discontuing parts that you can't get anywhere else but them, allows them to void that part of the warranty because you have to go salvage and that voids their coverage from then on out. Too bad because I was their biggest promoter because I loved the truck so much. Now, I'll never buy another Dodge product ever again. Just waiting to see what this Toyota Stout is all about next year or a Honda Ridgeline. I'm currently in litigation with Mopar and of course, they are dragging this out so they don't have to pay for my costs incurred to get my truck back on the road. They offered $500 for a settlement. The litigation continues..........
That's bullcrap. Used to be that real mechanics could fix a wire or 3 in the existing harness and have you back on the road smiling. More & more shops have "technicians" who can't find problems unless their scanner points them at something by showing codes. Don't ask them to troubleshoot a problem, they can't. No I'm not trashing all techs, just the ones that need to be told what to replace via stored codes. The majority are skilled people, the others are idiots with tools.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Similar comments here as to why I would never buy a extended warranty from a car company. I want them to do one thing very well, sell me a truck. While I go there for service during basic warranty, I want my own experienced mechanic to work on my vehicle. They have latest diagnostics capabilities and will keep at it until it's fixed. Service shops in dealers are a for profit enterprise and lose money until they can charge and this does make a difference. And the warranty arm is also there to make money only and pricing reflects two things: expected average repair total versus gross revenue realized annually, and a healthy profit margin.

Some people "win" with warranties on occasion, others break even, and a large number only got "piece of mind". But I am more than happy to not be frustrated waiting for the run-around to end, to not be told something isn't covered, and to just have my mechanic to deal with.

One separate comment, I know the warranty has towing, etc. but it only covers the truck. Cousin was traveling recently, had problem with trailer that had to be towed to repair center, and AAA RV + covers both truck and trailer. If you tow, gotta' have that coverage and paying duplicate for maxcare and AAA should be considered in value.