Maxcare & Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtlp8335

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
for those of you that have the extended warranty--and perhaps braver than I--what mods have you done to your truck that you feel are allowable and won't void the warranty? I have a '16 ccsb 6.4 bighorn. I also have the Maxcare unlimited/unlimited plan. Have considered some mods to my truck, but I don't want claims being denied for alterations that could affect the truck in FCA's eyes. All I've done is a muffler.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
This is why couldn't do a lifetime warranty. I can't resist modding my truck. Every vehicle I have owned besides my first was modded in one way or another. Although, my first vehicle (an 81 Toyota pickup 4x4) was not technically mine. My Dad allowed me to "borrow it" free of charge until I was established enough to buy my own. I could not do any mods to it unless I bought it from him. It did have a role bar in the bed with lights on it sitting on 33's so there really wasn't much to modify anyways.

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have the same warranty and have literally done nothing to me truck.... not really because of the warranty but more it's just not my thing (which made the warranty a good thing for me). I was recently in for a tranny rebuild and service advisor thought my tires were over sized (they're not) but I got the impression he might have made an issue out of it. From reading posts on here over the years A LOT comes down to the individual dealer so it's hard to say what you could run into.

I've heard they'll let you do a small life and maybe one step up in tires. Muffler should be no problem. Things like programming and deleting emission stuff is where you are likely to really run into problems.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Any mod can potentially void the warranty. If the mod can even remotely be traced back to the issue they will exploit it.

For example, bigger tires and lift. They could point that to powertrain, transmission, front end issues etc. It's really going to depend on the dealer/FCA though. I've seen some let stuff like that slide and others not at all.

Bottom line, you are taking a chance, it may be small but there is a chance of denial.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Any mod can potentially void the warranty. If the mod can even remotely be traced back to the issue they will exploit it.

I was just thinking, what are the differences between the factory warranty and the extended service contract (since it isn't a warranty), vehicle modifications, and the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. I don't think the act covers outside of the initial factory warranty period. The OP mixed warranty and extended warranty, I'm assuming they meant extended service contract.

I guess coverage under either the warranty or the extended service contract could deny the replacement of, for example, the BCM if they discovered the use of LED license plate lighting.

I admit, too much idle time being sequestered.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I was just thinking, what are the differences between the factory warranty and the extended service contract (since it isn't a warranty), vehicle modifications, and the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. I don't think the act covers outside of the initial factory warranty period. The OP mixed warranty and extended warranty, I'm assuming they meant extended service contract.

I guess coverage under either the warranty or the extended service contract could deny the replacement of, for example, the BCM if they discovered the use of LED license plate lighting.

I admit, too much idle time being sequestered.

I think you're right.... I seem to remember reading about this and the "service contracts" are much more in favor of the people writing them. As you say, they don't fall under Magnuson-Moss. I think this is also how all the third party crap warranties can survive - much less regulation and they can pretty much do what they want with fine print, etc.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I think you're right.... I seem to remember reading about this and the "service contracts" are much more in favor of the people writing them. As you say, they don't fall under Magnuson-Moss. I think this is also how all the third party crap warranties can survive - much less regulation and they can pretty much do what they want with fine print, etc.

The fine print, a field of ambiguity and redefining common sense. I bought a new 2001 Buick Grand Sport with GM's extended service contract. Just outside the 3 year/36,000-mile warranty coverage, the rearview mirror fell off the windshield. Are you ready for this, I was told by the service manager that the rearview mirror (that also houses all the OnStar controls) is considered under the extended service contract, trim and is not covered. Using GM's logic, anything could be defined under the "trim" category I guess.

On to the Chrysler MaxCare. I have the MaxCare on both vehicles and not once did I have an issue getting anything covered. I had a pan gasket leak on my 68RFE and a pan gasket leak on the Cummins (hard to believe), the dealer repaired both and replaced the transmission fluid and engine oil/filter, all no cost, even covered my $100 deductible. I'm outside the 3year but have low mileage on the truck. I've had the same repair experience with the 2013, this one has the lifetime zero deductible. Never denied coverage.

I hope MaxCare never changes to a GM model of extended coverage.

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
The fine print, a field of ambiguity and redefining common sense. I bought a new 2001 Buick Grand Sport with GM's extended service contract. Just outside the 3 year/36,000-mile warranty coverage, the rearview mirror fell off the windshield. Are you ready for this, I was told by the service manager that the rearview mirror (that also houses all the OnStar controls) is considered under the extended service contract, trim and is not covered. Using GM's logic, anything could be defined under the "trim" category I guess.

On to the Chrysler MaxCare. I have the MaxCare on both vehicles and not once did I have an issue getting anything covered. I had a pan gasket leak on my 68RFE and a pan gasket leak on the Cummins (hard to believe), the dealer repaired both and replaced the transmission fluid and engine oil/filter, all no cost, even covered my $100 deductible. I'm outside the 3year but have low mileage on the truck. I've had the same repair experience with the 2013, this one has the lifetime zero deductible. Never denied coverage.

Do you think it had anything to do with the specific dealer you took it to? Seems like people are all over the board for how they get treated at their respective dealers, and how much their dealer is willing to step up to the plate for them.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you think it had anything to do with the specific dealer you took it to? Seems like people are all over the board for how they get treated at their respective dealers, and how much their dealer is willing to step up to the plate for them.
I asked mine about oil changes, cam/lifter failure and Maxcare. They said the first thing that happens is they have to pull the valve covers. They can tell right away if the engine has been cared for.... If it's clean, etc they said they would most likely not question anything and fix it under whatever warranty is in place.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'll have to say, In all the warranty cases I've seen talked about in person or on a forum, I have seen a few people denied for mods. I have not seen 1 person that successfully used Magnuson-Moss to fight a warranty case before? Has anyone known of someone that has?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

I can't give the question an honest answer since I didn't go to different dealers shopping for a solution. I can tell you the servicing dealer is not the dealer that sold me the vehicle. I also don't go in with an attitude or act demanding, not implying others do that. When you see a range of differences posted, there is a reason and it is unlikely the entire story and context is posted.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

My wife's Toyota sienna had a problem with the window guide on the driver door failing. calling the number on the extended service warranty that we had only took you to the financing part of Toyota, who managed the claims for the extended warranties that Toyota sells. Of course they're not going to extend themselves because it's all about money on that side of the house. I finally was able to connect with someone at a different part of Toyota who helped us resolve the claim. The initial assessment was that it was window trim which is excluded under the contract. However, I argued that it only acted as window trim to seal out the rain when the window is fully up but during the travel up and down it acts as a guide, and their part description actually says guide and does not mention trim. I would imagine they're going to change the name of that part, but did get satisfaction. Moral of the story is to keep ramping it up elsewhere, you might get help. Also, did anybody see the recent story about the Tesla 3 and the guy who put snow tracks on the rear wheels and then put in a warranty claim because his motors went bad?

Snyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
for those of you that have the extended warranty--and perhaps braver than I--what mods have you done to your truck that you feel are allowable and won't void the warranty? I have a '16 ccsb 6.4 bighorn. I also have the Maxcare unlimited/unlimited plan. Have considered some mods to my truck, but I don't want claims being denied for alterations that could affect the truck in FCA's eyes. All I've done is a muffler.

Running boards, bed cover and a tailgate step! :D

Zack02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also, did anybody see the recent story about the Tesla 3 and the guy who put snow tracks on the rear wheels and then put in a warranty claim because his motors went bad?

They updated that story... the dude's a lair, and Tesla made him pay like 7k to fix it lol