Maxcare warranty and dealer....problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone has problems with the dealer service and Maxcare lifetime warranty?

I brought my '16 Rebel, with 83k miles on it, in for the air suspension service message. After doing the dealer did their multi-point inspection, they are saying I need to get a whole extra list of services done or the Maxcare inspection will void my warranty. They claim my brake fluid is dirty (it's not), my transmission needs service (it doesn't), I need a "tune up", and that my 4x4 needs to be serviced, plus 4-5 other services.

I am a very good mechanic and take pride in my vehicle care, which includes ALL required services. I serviced the 4x4 system myself at 53k miles, but the service tech is arguing that no fluid is staining the plugs, and that the plugs show no evidence they have ever been touched......plus he says my transfer case plug welds haven't been cracked (what?...I took those plugs out myself). I'm totally baffled......I did the service myself, and have the fluid receipts.

I also record all my maintenance on mopar.com in My Garage......but they say the dealer and Maxcare only look at Carfax reports. What?!?

I feel like I am being blackmailed. The dealer said they will report all their findings to Maxcare.....and that Maxcare has been voiding customer warranties right and left this year. Huh?

So disappointed in Ram/FCA right now. I only bought this warranty to cover big items, like the air suspension. Everything else I do myself.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Not doing those services doesn't "void" your service contract...which is what it is, it's not a "warranty". HOWEVER...If you have a failure of a component and it's determined that the failure occurred because of your failure to do the associated maintenance, they can deny the claim. Save all the reciepts for the materials (oils, filters, etc) you use. If I were you...I'd find another dealer that isn't pressuring you into buying their bullshizit services with threats.

OP
OP
miketx

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, I definitely plan to use a different dealer the next time I have a warranty service. I'm just surprised the service "tech" is arguing that my 4x4 has never been serviced.....even sent me pictures. Says it's too clean, the plugs have never been removed and that the transfer case plug welds have never been broken. What welds?......plugs came out fine, and shame on me for doing a good job cleaning up (and it's been 2 years since I did it). It's amazing...I feel like I'm living in bizarro world. If the tech took 5 secs to try to loosen the plugs, he'd realize they've been out before. When I told the tech (via text) that he was wrong, he said "you are calling us liars".....whoa. No...you are calling me a liar. (I didn't reply with that, but wanted to).

I had an extended warranty on my wife's 04 Ford Thunderbird for years (and it needed it), but the dealers never pushed me into a corner like this. They just did the warranty work....even had inspectors come out, but never questioned my servicing, or forced me to have extra services done....it was always "recommended, but not required" stuff.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

I brought my '16 Rebel, with 83k miles on it, in for the air suspension service message. After doing the dealer did their multi-point inspection, they are saying I need to get a whole extra list of services done or the Maxcare inspection will void my warranty. They claim my brake fluid is dirty (it's not), my transmission needs service (it doesn't), I need a "tune up", and that my 4x4 needs to be serviced, plus 4-5 other services.

I am a very good mechanic and take pride in my vehicle care, which includes ALL required services. I serviced the 4x4 system myself at 53k miles, but the service tech is arguing that no fluid is staining the plugs, and that the plugs show no evidence they have ever been touched......plus he says my transfer case plug welds haven't been cracked (what?...I took those plugs out myself). I'm totally baffled......I did the service myself, and have the fluid receipts.

I also record all my maintenance on mopar.com in My Garage......but they say the dealer and Maxcare only look at Carfax reports. What?!?

I feel like I am being blackmailed. The dealer said they will report all their findings to Maxcare.....and that Maxcare has been voiding customer warranties right and left this year. Huh?

So disappointed in Ram/FCA right now. I only bought this warranty to cover big items, like the air suspension. Everything else I do myself.
Your 16 ram owners manual states lifetime fluid. So what service are they trying push on you ? Plugs are 100000 mile change interval. I follow the owners manual schedule, so far no issues with max care warranty.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A warranty is only as good as the dealership and manufacturer backing it. Some dealers will help, others look for any excuse to deny coverage, especially if the time put into the repair is way more than the payout from the manufacturer.

Shops are covered up right now. They want high paying, non-warranty work, not what they consider an off-brand hassle warranty.

It's a bunch of crap, but so are most dealers.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Your 16 ram owners manual states lifetime fluid. So what service are they trying push on you ? Plugs are 100000 mile change interval. I follow the owners manual schedule, so far no issues with max care warranty.
^^^ This^^^
If it's not stated in the maintenance section of your owners manual it's not required. Stay away from that dealer and warn others in your area to avoid them like the plague.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
What welds?......
It's kinda like Loctite, but they put a drop of it on the plugs to determine if they have been removed from the factory...It's usually white, sometimes blue...Looks like a blob that was brushed onto the fastener on the outside. If you screwed the plug back in and those two blobs line up again, he needs glasses to see the separation line.

OP
OP
miketx

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The usual services.....fuel system clean, transmission fluid/filter, "tune up", 4x4 service (which I have done at 53k miles), front pads (which are still ok, but probably close), air filter (yes, it's a little dirty...I plan on replacing it soon), serpentine belt (which is still good...and I'll change it soon anyway), coolant flush, throttle body clean, etc. They really loaded up the ticket.

The worst part is they have been texting me all this stuff. The tech himself was sending me pictures (all of which looked ok to me), and saying my brake/trans fluid didn't past their fluid tests (what tests? what kind of BS is that?). The tech also said my trans filter was "original"...well of course it is....and besides, how did you check? Did you drop the pan? I asked him that.....of course all I got back is "fine, we'll see what the Maxcare inspector says...." Jeez.

And all of this just because I brought it in for a suspension message, and a P0456 (emissions) check engine light. I've gone here before and they didn't do this last time.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You have found a true stealership and a place that preys on the 80% of people who don't know they are being fed a line of straight bull. Avoid them like the plaque they are, Google rate them, post on Dealer Rater, complain to RAM corporate and out them with Ram Cares (at least a little). If your State has a consumer protection department file a formal complaint there too.

It took me a long time to find an honest, quality local dealership but it is worth the work.

OP
OP
miketx

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I saw the "loctite" stuff when I removed the plugs...and yeah, I probably lined them up again (OCD problem I have). But still...to call me a liar....wow. That tech needs to go back to customer service school.

The crazy thing is...this isn't "off brand" warranty. It's Maxcare Lifetime. I had a warranty repair done at this dealership before and they were ok. I think it's the tech that's causing the trouble. The service manager even said "he's a cranky old guy". Well, I'm a cranky old guy also :)

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yep, I agree with the others - the owner's manual is what matters. I've done all my oil changes and other maintenance at the dealer and follow the manual to the letter and have never had a problem. They still try to sell me on their BS but if it's not in the manual I don't go for it.

I'm at 120K on my 2014 and am loving my Lifetime Maxcare. As I type this my truck is sitting at the dealer due to a misfire code and something draining the battery while sitting. More new parts!! I almost get excited when something goes wrong.... as long as I'm not in the middle of a trip.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Yeah, I saw the "loctite" stuff when I removed the plugs...and yeah, I probably lined them up again (OCD problem I have). But still...to call me a liar....wow. That tech needs to go back to customer service school.

The crazy thing is...this isn't "off brand" warranty. It's Maxcare Lifetime. I had a warranty repair done at this dealership before and they were ok. I think it's the tech that's causing the trouble. The service manager even said "he's a cranky old guy".
If the dealership knows about him being a problem, insist on a different tech and talk to the service manager directly to lay out your expectations and desired resolution. If the issue is one employee, then they need to deal with that before their whole repution gets nuked.

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

The crazy thing is...this isn't "off brand" warranty. It's Maxcare Lifetime. I had a warranty repair done at this dealership before and they were ok. I think it's the tech that's causing the trouble. The service manager even said "he's a cranky old guy".

And the Service Manager is a wuss if he/she can't control their techs. I'd ask the SM why he/she can't step in, and get the job done. Good Luck.

OP
OP
miketx

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And the Service Manager is a wuss if he/she can't control their techs. I'd ask the SM why he/she can't step in, and get the job done. Good Luck.
At some point, a customer service "Operations manager" did step in on the texts. I just found it bizarre that the tech was directly texting me to begin with....it should all filter through the service manager. I thought it was the SM when I called BS on the 4x4 service (and yeah, I did actually say BS on the text...I was pissed). I didn't realize it was the actual tech I was exchanging messages with.

I'm usually a very chill guy...I spent 35+ years in high tech customer service/support, or managing teams like that. But as I get older, my filter is starting to fail.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Here is the deal, MAXCARE ONLY requires services to be done that are in the owners manual and at the mileage/time specified - whichever comes first..

Which means, no service being done to the transmission as it is a lifetime fill - I called to confirm this .

Transfer case fluid needs checked at every 60k miles, changed at 120k miles OR - CHANGED for any of the following:police, taxi, fleet, or frequent trailer towing every 60k miles.

Replace PCV at 100k miles.

Brake fluid is not mentioned.

Read the part of the manual.
Required Maintenance
Refer to the Maintenance Schedules on the following
pages for required maintenance.

OP
OP
miketx

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh, believe me....I've read the manual front and back. I know the contract language in my Maxcare agreement. But it still doesn't stop a dealer from being a real pain if they want to. The way the dealer is getting around this is "supposedly" checking/testing my fluids. If they are deemed "dirty", they can flag it later. That part is in the Maxcare agreement (it mentions "dirty fluid"). It's sneaky and can be abused.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I had an issue with, believe it or not, overcharged bill from Minnesota DVLA.
They would NOT admit fault or refund overcharge. I contacted the Attorney Generals office and got satisfaction and resolution that way. ( plus $1300) That’s what they do and this stuff from dealer is definitely unprofessional and needs to be addressed.