Maximizing Power of 6.4 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JustNtime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm looking for advice about how to get more power out of my 6.4 Hemi. I tow a 34 foot 5th wheel around the Rockies and feel like I'm killing my truck. It pulls well but seems stressed all the time and averages 6 miles per gallon. Any suggestions on a tuner, intake etc? It's a 2016 with 53K miles so I'm not worried about voiding warranty.

RamHondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agree on Cummins!

But a Good Tune for towing is the way to go. Also get rid of factory muffler, or add catback exhaust system, personal muffler delete is the way to go...

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking for advice about how to get more power out of my 6.4 Hemi. I tow a 34 foot 5th wheel around the Rockies and feel like I'm killing my truck. It pulls well but seems stressed all the time and averages 6 miles per gallon. Any suggestions on a tuner, intake etc? It's a 2016 with 53K miles so I'm not worried about voiding warranty.
What gears do you have?

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Ouch. The ole hemi struggles in altitude. Well any gasser will. I don’t think anything will overcome that mod wise.... and I know this has been said and I’m sure last thing ya wanna hear but a Cummins is the true answer.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My 6.4L HEMI really woke up with a cold air intake, freer flowing exhaust, a programmer and a custom tune.

I'd do the same thing if I bought another one.

Randy g3 hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins.6.4/stroker.slant6.Cummins.magnum/striker.Cummins
Please don't change your gears,just more fuel! whipple has a supercharger kit already for your truck. It's a screw blower,which means when you touch the throttle from idle
you are in boost!! When you are at 10,000 feet, you have the same power as you do at see level!!!! Just go to whipped superchargers .com and check it out. If you have any questions, just text me. I'm not always on the site.
Hope this help you and others on this great web site.
Keep MOPAR-ing on

Randy g3 hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins.6.4/stroker.slant6.Cummins.magnum/striker.Cummins
SORRY!!!! I forgot to add this part! Customer's have reportedly gotten fuel gain from. City driving 2-3 mpg, over the road.1-3@75 miles an hour, and the big one. Pulling little over 10,000lb with 3:73 gears 2-6 miles per gallon!!
At all elavations! Most all off these trucks have full exhaust to just muffler delete on them. [email protected]

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The Whipple Supercharger website does not show anything for our 6.4 Hemi.
The 5.7 Hemi yes they have a couple of kits.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would contact a tuner and see if you could get a reconfigured calibration to more closely resemble the SRT 6.4. Damn shame they calibrated those 6.4 the way they did. Neutered!

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Gears are going to be your best bang for buck to get more tq multiplication, but it's still a gasser towing heavy and you might see noticeably worse unloaded MPG depending on the gear selection. There are a few threads in the HD section about regearing that might help you decide if you want to go down that route.

I would contact a tuner and see if you could get a reconfigured calibration to more closely resemble the SRT 6.4. Damn shame they calibrated those 6.4 the way they did. Neutered!

The BGE configuration in the trucks is a different animal than the 6.4 Apache so a tune alone won't make up the difference. The truck configuration has lower compression and was designed for durability over raw output numbers. That being said the BGE block/heads are better and make an awesome base for big power with the right parts. Kinda makes me wish I had waited for an '18 when the cars moved to the BGE block casting while retaining the rest of the SRT bits.

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gears are going to be your best bang for buck to get more tq multiplication, but it's still a gasser towing heavy and you might see noticeably worse unloaded MPG depending on the gear selection. There are a few threads in the HD section about regearing that might help you decide if you want to go down that

The BGE configuration in the trucks is a different animal than the 6.4 Apache so a tune alone won't make up the difference. The truck configuration has lower compression and was designed for durability over raw output numbers. That being said the BGE block/heads are better and make an awesome base for big power with the right parts. Kinda makes me wish I had waited for an '18 when the cars moved to the BGE block casting while retaining the rest of the SRT bits.

You are 100% correct! 6 bolt mains! That should support some real power put down.