May need tires sooner than I'd like, so...

Which tire for stock 20s? Please elaborate below.

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aelwulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I was hoping the Crapstone stock tires would last at least 3 years of maybe 7k/year miles, but they're wearing too quick and one already has a slow leak I need to get fixed (haven't seen a nail or anything but could be possible).

Since wheel funds won't be available yet, what are thoughts on comparisons between the tires in the poll? Any missing I should be considering. I know there's ST Maxx fans but so far the mileage/look don't strike me as the ones.

I had BFG A-T T/A KOs on my 1500 for years and loved them in sand, wet, snow, and even ice (although a bit slick). I've read some on here that those seem to wear faster on the HDs but including them for comparison. I'm kind of leaning towards the Coopers at the moment after reading a bit on here, but open to any views.

All of these claim to fit stock on the truck at 285/60R20 (per tiresize.com). All are 55-65k warranties. All E-rated, should be 10 ply. I mostly drive street with some off-road/towing on occasion so don't need huge mud tires.

Also curious if anyone thinks there'd be a reliability/ride/wear difference (aside from going up a size) going from roughly 33" on stock 20s to 35" on AEV Salta 17s/Black Rhino 18s between the brands or if it'd matter.

Thanks!

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would highly recommend Nitto Ridge Grap over the Terra Grap unless you are going off road a lot.
I’ve been running them 15k miles so far and love them. I made the switch after running KO2 for years on my 1500’s
The Ridge Grap seem to be wearing extremely well (I rotate every 3-5k), they have no more road noise than the KO2, they look much better ( more aggressive side wall), they have been way better in the Ohio snow.
Good luck on your decision, I’m sure you will be happy with any of your choices.
77CC914D-E67E-4832-8B58-5B0D28CF6973.jpeg

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Rim size really doesn’t matter much if any.
If your stock wheels are 20” then stay with those. I have 305/65-70(don’t remember)20” on my 2500
They’re Nitto Ridge Grapplers 10 ply. They ride and wear great. So give them a look.
I will be getting another set of these when the current ones wear out.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 2500 4x4 C/C Off Road.

dodgeramfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just put a set of Michelin Ltx M/S Defenders on my bran new 2018 3500 with 1200 miles on her ! Firestone’s were so out of round it wasn’t funny so I bought Michelins now my truck is a highway queen so if by chance she’s in the dirt I messed up somehow. Great highway tire! 10 ply smooth and quiet. The only good thing I can say about firestone is they took their trashy tires back all 5 of them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I second that dodgeramfan. Michelin Defenders are the best bang for the buck for traction, wearability, quiet running and smooth ride. I have them on both my '17 2500 Cummins and my '18 1500 Laramie Longhorn as it was the first mod I did to both. Here in the Houston area, rain can be an issue and I don't like slick tires that can't grip...the Michelins never have that problem.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Toyo open country at2 are worth considering. I've been happy with the sets I've run. They are usually a bit cheaper than the nitto and made by the same manyfacturer as toyo makes nitto tires.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
I'll put another recommendation for the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Had a set on my 1500, my best friend has them on his F150 and I've put 5500 miles on a set I put on my 2500 and I love them.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Nothing looks like labels out bfg's, and I put 70k miles on a bronco with a set, no complaints.

OP
OP
Aelwulf

Aelwulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I would highly recommend Nitto Ridge Grap over the Terra Grap unless you are going off road a lot.
I’ve been running them 15k miles so far and love them. I made the switch after running KO2 for years on my 1500’s
The Ridge Grap seem to be wearing extremely well (I rotate every 3-5k), they have no more road noise than the KO2, they look much better ( more aggressive side wall), they have been way better in the Ohio snow.
Good luck on your decision, I’m sure you will be happy with any of your choices.
View attachment 153987

Huh, I thought the Terras were the light off-road/street version. Thanks, I'll look at the Nittos some more.

OP
OP
Aelwulf

Aelwulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Just put a set of Michelin Ltx M/S Defenders on my bran new 2018 3500 with 1200 miles on her ! Firestone’s were so out of round it wasn’t funny so I bought Michelins now my truck is a highway queen so if by chance she’s in the dirt I messed up somehow. Great highway tire! 10 ply smooth and quiet. The only good thing I can say about firestone is they took their trashy tires back all 5 of them!

Nice! I'd like to say if there's nothing in the tire I could have the dealership cover anything with 'em still since it's low mileage, but not about to hold my breath on that. Luckily the local America's Tire tends to be willing to do fixes for free, especially if you've been a customer before.

OP
OP
Aelwulf

Aelwulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll have to add the Michelins and Toyos to the list to check out.

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another vote for the Nitto G2. I have put 17k on a set since 10/17 and very happy with the performance and wear so far. Not much road noise and handle well on wet roads, even when pulling a trailer. Don’t do much off roading so no reference there.

Good luck.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Huh, I thought the Terras were the light off-road/street version. Thanks, I'll look at the Nittos some more.
Terra is the mud tire, Ridge is a hybrid tire, meaning it has AT tread and mudder sidewall for the aggressive look. The Ridge also has 2 sidewalls, an aggressive side wall, and if you flip the tire it has a moderate sidewall so you can choose the look you want.

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition

I've wanted the glorious virtue of michelins all my adult life. If only they made an all terrain for me

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
Terra is the mud tire, Ridge is a hybrid tire, meaning it has AT tread and mudder sidewall for the aggressive look. The Ridge also has 2 sidewalls, an aggressive side wall, and if you flip the tire it has a moderate sidewall so you can choose the look you want.
Cuda, I think aelwulf is right. I as well was confused with your post. Terra is a mild all terrain, ridge is a hybrid all terrain/ off road so slightly more aggressive but not as aggressive as the full off road trail graps

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3000 miles on KO2s. Nope.

View attachment 154004

Wow, those are sposed to be one of the toughest tires out there but who knows, things can go wrong with brand new stuff.

I had a buddy of mine years ago that bought a brand spankin’ new set of some Kelly all terrains that he didn’t even make it home on before blowing the sidewall completely out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334