MDS 2022 delete ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
10/10 Rant. AAAAAAA+++ Would read again.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I've had mine 3 years and mds hasnt bothered me once or even been something I think about when driving or towing. every now and then I see the ECO green light on but not sure what is bad about it. my laramie runs great tows good and gets 20+ sometimes on the highway. I'm not sure what it is about the mds that folks are supposed to not like.

I've never even noticed my MDS kicking in after over 10 years of ownership. I have one of the well trained MDS trucks. Read the forums and you'll see poorly trained MDS trucks shake like a rock tumbler, **** on the floor, make hangovers worse, and share embarrassing photos of you on social media. And that's just on Tuesdays. You don't even want to know about Thursdays.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
Namgrunt
Why. Not one thing wrong with MDS, it is all in your damn head! Guess you hit it one to many times.
Who is the he!! are you to question what I like and don't like? If I don't like something I don't like it and you're not doing a dam thing about it. Got it!

Flynight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to hear you are not happy with your new truck. However there is a very easy solution swap trucks with your son. You get a Chevy and your son get a new truck. I have a 2022 Ram Laramie and the only way I can tell anything about the MDS is by looking at the dash board and seeing the light come on and off.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
Sorry to hear you are not happy with your new truck. However there is a very easy solution swap trucks with your son. You get a Chevy and your son get a new truck. I have a 2022 Ram Laramie and the only way I can tell anything about the MDS is by looking at the dash board and seeing the light come on and off.
The noise and vibration of the MDS on the 6.4 hemi is really noticable. My wife who rarely notices the motor is even running instantly noticed it the first time she rode in my truck. I can feel the vibration it puts out in my seat.

OP
OP
Namgrunt67

Namgrunt67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Howdy and SEMPER FI, Thank you for your Service, My Dad served 24 years in the Navy, I served 20. I survived cancer in my throat 9 years ago 7 hours on the table and Desert Storm before that. To damn ornery to let it go. I bought a 2019 used with all of those gadgets also. I just let it do its thing and keep the oil changed. Have found out about a few bugs here and there. Technology always will bite us in the ass at times. Marine, Keep plugging away and do not let anything get ya down. We have been through some **** that only a hand full in here could even relate to. In my prayers and thoughts Brother. MR1 (SW) U.S. Navy Retired
Thank you, and welcome home ! The best to you and your love ones.
Ron

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had two 4th gens and now a 5th gen and I can count on one hand the number of times for all three I ever felt the MDS switch in or out.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 73126 miles

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The noise and vibration of the MDS on the 6.4 hemi is really noticable. My wife who rarely notices the motor is even running instantly noticed it the first time she rode in my truck. I can feel the vibration it puts out in my seat.
If you had a 1500 (all stock) with the 8 speed, you wouldn't mind it as much.
The ride of the 2500 mixed with the crappy 3.73 gears and the 6 speed is probably one of the worse combos and I can see how you would really notice MDS.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Ram don't have MDS. Not sure that was a thing in 2007 but my Challenger has it.

I can turn it off by pushing the Sport button but hec I really don't notice it, especially on the highway and it isn't bothersome at all.
To totally disable it you have to get a tuner.

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You don't have to understand what people don't like about MDS. You like it, then by all means keep it active. Other's don't like it for their own reasons. I think it's a good thing that it can be disabled, even though it's a little bit of an inconvenience to have to do it every time you shift into drive.

@Namgrunt67, using tow/haul will disable MDS, but using tow/haul mode will negatively affect your fuel economy. Using the shift limit buttons allows the transmission to use the normal shift points, so any potential fuel economy hit will only be from the slight difference MDS might give. Although, after many years of owning Ram trucks with MDS, and lots of experimenting, I've never seen any real benefits from MDS. Which is why I disable it now. than that the exhaust sounds like crap when it's running on 4 cylinders.

I have a GM vehicle with the system, and I've not seen enough difference in the mpg's to let the system operate. Plus, the engine/tranny shakes/stutters when it activates and that can't be good. I have it disabled with a Range Technology unit plugged into the OBD port. Sadly, Range doesn't make one of those for the Ram, so I guess I'll be going through the ritual of turning the MDS off everytime I start the Ram. I may let it activate on road trips, but around town it will be off.

OP
OP
Namgrunt67

Namgrunt67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I washed my Dodge Ram last night, and when I woke up this morning
it had turned into a loaded 2022 Siverado Z-71 with smaller mirrors, and all
the old guy options I wanted, strange how that works, LOL
Have a great day Guys, I'm off for my monthly shot in the eyeball, I think
I'm starting to like it after 1 year, sucks, but so does going blind.
The Old Grunt in Seattle
Ron