MDS....Did you turn it off or leave it on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m sure some one did extensive research on this. I’m just sharing my personal experiences on how both of my trucks operate exactly the same. I don’t care what anyone’s truck does so long as they don’t get stranded in a remote place where they can’t get help.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Maybe on the 5th Gens it does,but i even question that.You do realize this is the 4th Gen section don't you,lol.

Well considering I've owned the truck for 28,000 km and have played with the ECO/MDS off and on and hate it with a passion, I will lay a years wages on that's how it works in 5th gens. It's absolutely the same thing; ECO = MDS. I have never once seen a case where MDS was active without ECO, or ECO light appearing the exact second MDS kicks in. I've watched the system like a hawk, in an attempt to "learn to like it", but I always run with it off. Every few weeks I'll try again and the ECO light flickers in and out for about 10 minutes until I get annoyed with it and shut it off. ECO light won't appear for another 3 - 4 weeks. Not exaggerating in the slightest, every word there is true.

As for this being a 4th gen thread; fair enough, I did not catch that since I never actually read the forum by going to specific sections, I just use the "new posts" page.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
MDS does work in my 19 Laramie in tow/haul mode.
Not only does the eco light come on but with my louder exhaust you can hear it engage.
I always get elected to haul our sleds north for our winter snowmobiling trip (cause my Ram is so much nicer than my cousin's F250 King Ranch or my other cousin's Black Tie Silverado.)
My cousin switched driving with me half way there and didn't realize I always shut it off.
We could all tell when it kicked on while running on the freeway and tow haul was engaged.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My MDS turns on in Tow haul. 2017. Also, I turn it off now. Have been for a while and I love the responsiveness of having 8 there all
The time and I don’t miss that little lag period. The sound is also horrendous. Good riddance. When warranty is done im getting a tuner thingy and disabling tha crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My MDS turns on in Tow haul. 2017. Also, I turn it off now. Have been for a while and I love the responsiveness of having 8 there all
The time and I don’t miss that little lag period. The sound is also horrendous. Good riddance. When warranty is done im getting a tuner thingy and disabling tha crap

If the MDS is engaging in tow mode, how are you turning it off? Gear selector? I am trying to learn this through others, I am not able to get much driving in over the past few months and I don't have that nice sounding exhaust so harder to hear.

Danes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well considering I've owned the truck for 28,000 km and have played with the ECO/MDS off and on and hate it with a passion, I will lay a years wages on that's how it works in 5th gens. It's absolutely the same thing; ECO = MDS. I have never once seen a case where MDS was active without ECO, or ECO light appearing the exact second MDS kicks in. I've watched the system like a hawk, in an attempt to "learn to like it", but I always run with it off. Every few weeks I'll try again and the ECO light flickers in and out for about 10 minutes until I get annoyed with it and shut it off. ECO light won't appear for another 3 - 4 weeks. Not exaggerating in the slightest, every word there is true.

As for this being a 4th gen thread; fair enough, I did not catch that since I never actually read the forum by going to specific sections, I just use the "new posts" page.

Agreed, and I’ve talked to multiple service techs and managers and they’ve echoed the same message. Tow/haul is supposed to disengage the MDS so your valve train is protected when under a heavy load, and so I have the full range of power when towing. They’ve also said that if the eco light comes on and I sense that the MDS has engaged, to bring my truck in immediately or I run the risk of catastrophic valve train or complete engine failure. Again, I’m sure someone dove deep into this, but the message they are delivering makes total sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Forgive me if this is answered somewhere else, but can AlphaOBD adjust MDS settings? Question that based on above saying that service wants to see a truck where it engages in tow mode.

stevenram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I deactivate mds my eco light has never come on, kinda confusing why it comes on in some trucks but not others

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So we have verified that MDS is or is not disabled by turning on tow mode, it is or is not engaged when Eco light comes on, is or is not causing hemi tick, and is or is not saving people money through better MPG. Did I miss anything?

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So we have verified that MDS is or is not disabled by turning on tow mode, it is or is not engaged when Eco light comes on, is or is not causing hemi tick, and is or is not saving people money through better MPG. Did I miss anything?

Don't forget that if you use this brand of magic oil then it solves all the problems and makes everything perfect all the time forever. Incidentally I'm a dealer HMU for pricing. /s

Octane

Reaction score
Don't forget that if you use this brand of magic oil then it solves all the problems and makes everything perfect all the time forever. Incidentally I'm a dealer HMU for pricing. /s
My magic oil is sold at walmart and I know it is magic because my truck has never broken down enroute to the walmart.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Pretty scary, isn't it? I'm not stupid enough to think that those who report differently than me must all be wrong; one user, yeah he's probably confused, but 10? OK, something else is going on here. Possibly bugs in the software, different versions of the software working differently, or some sensors working slightly differently or whatever.

Point is; don't blame the guys posting their experience when you can find a bunch of corroborating evidence from other users saying the same thing.

I love how helpful Ram's user manual is, exhibit A, this little nugget:

ECO Mode Indicator Light: This light will turn on when ECO Mode is active.

No ****?

No other mention of "ECO" or "MDS" in my manual.

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ECO Mode Indicator Light: This light will turn on when ECO Mode is active.
Yea not too bad for a 6 year college graduate with a spell check:baby:
:bleh::dancingpoop::dancingpoop::dancingpoop::dancingpoop::dancingpoop::dancingpoop::dancingpoop::dancingpoop::dancingpoop::dancingpoop::dancingpoop:

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
If the MDS is engaging in tow mode, how are you turning it off? Gear selector? I am trying to learn this through others, I am not able to get much driving in over the past few months and I don't have that nice sounding exhaust so harder to hear.

Turn dial to D. Before you leave hit the - button on steering wheel to to see “1”. Scroll up to “8” and leave it there. It’ll change between gears normally and you won’t ever be in MDS. I heard the higher trims will show current gear but I can’t confirm..... you have to do that every time switching to D. If you don’t need all 8 you can select any gear and it’ll max out at that gear.

Edit: tow haul mode stays on unless you turn the truck off. So if I’m towing my boat etc I just leave the key to accessory if I stop for gas or coffee etc. When I start the truck I do my little MDS routine and drive away in two haul mode.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

When my truck is in tow haul I can still hear the MDS kick in through my exhaust and the eco light comes on. If I’m in “MDS deactivation mode lol” I never see that light

I’ll try to take a video today. I got nothing better to do right now lol

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hemifever has mine tuned out and run it like this 24/7. Can’t handle the burbles when driving. Now the rumbles is a different story!

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

Here are some videos I made of the MDS and tow haul