MDS fixed itself?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlsalani

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
About a couple of months ago my MDS started to make the ratcheting noise, could get rid of it by putting the gear select to 8+... seemed easy enough but to it seemed like something had "broken" and I felt that I should get if fixed before I shut it off. Recently I did not select the gear button and have been driving with MDS on to see if there still there, and wouldn't you know it the sound is gone!.. tried all the ways, coasting down from around 45mph, making sure window it open and driving by buildings to hear it... nothing! So my question is, what happened to make the noise and how did it fix itself? I don't know enough about the MDS functionality other than it is shutting down cylinders. Now that it seems that it is working properly I think I want to shut it off... anyone using the Diablo piggy back tuner? Thanks

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the Diablo piggyback tuner doesn’t actually disable mds. When it senses the computer trying to enable mds it will bump the throttle to prevent it. Only way to truly disable it is with a tuner. I’m not so sure what would have been making a ratcheting sound. Could have been one of the solenoids failing. I’m curious if the mds is even activating anymore. The eco light does not actually mean mds is activated.

broken arrow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
when you bring up the slector does it always stat at 8 ? and if its on 8 its of til next time ?