"MDS issue" aka Timing Change/Chain tensioner issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have done a lot of researching and reading about the issue I'm having with my truck. All the symptoms point to the timing change rattle when ECO mode is activated.
- noise begins when ECO turns on.
- noise happens when coast down and stops as soon as some gas is applied.
- noise doesn't occur if kept in tow/haul.
- no noise at idle.

From what I've been reading, it appears that replacing the timing chain, chain tensioner and cam phaser will correct this.

The one alternative I've read is to just run in tow/haul or in 5th gear. So my question is, will doing this cause any damage? (I wasn't able to get a clear understanding of this)

I have 185,000 km (115,000 miles) on my 2011 Big Horn 5.7

Thanks for your input

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
You can run with MDS disabled without any ill effects. Either by manually using the +/- or getting a tuner/AlfaOBD to disable it permanently.
Running in tow/haul changes the shift points, the +/- doesn't.
I'd do that first before diving into engine repairs.

OP
OP
T

Tim C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the advice and tip about using +/- instead of tow.

With the info you gave me and to drill down on the question deeper, if the assumption that my rattle noise is due to a broken tensioner, have I done damage (to the chain and/or the cam phaser) that may now get hidden by using +/- and which may escalate without knowing and cause further damage?

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
If all you're experiencing is the 'MDS pop' from going 8 to 4 cylinders but otherwise the truck runs fine, I don't think anything is wrong with the timing setup. I could be wrong and others can chime in, but my simple logic says the truck would run like crap if the timing chain had problems.
I disabled MDS on my 2010 last year and haven't had a problem. Used a Superchips Flashpaq tuner to make it permanent.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Op, NJMopar is correct.

However since you say you have an 11, you may not have +/- buttons on the steering wheel, you may need to select 5th from the shifter.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45