MDS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its way more noticeable when you go to messing around with the exhaust for sure. I also found that if you have 3.21 vs 3.92 gears it seems to kick in at different times and more often with the taller gears. I always disable mine until the engine warms up and/or depending on whether I'm in traffic or driving slow. The only time I use it is when I plan on driving at a reasonable speed for any length of time.

At least with the RAM the MDS can be deactivated without the need for aftermarket devices even though it is a minor PITA. That's more than can be said for any GM product.

Ram19 Owner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Its way more noticeable when you go to messing around with the exhaust for sure. I also found that if you have 3.21 vs 3.92 gears it seems to kick in at different times and more often with the taller gears. I always disable mine until the engine warms up and/or depending on whether I'm in traffic or driving slow. The only time I use it is when I plan on driving at a reasonable speed for any length of time.

At least with the RAM the MDS can be deactivated without the need for aftermarket devices even though it is a minor PITA. That's more than can be said for any GM product.

How is it turned off? How do you know it is working? :emotions33::help: I know I’m asking silly questions but this thread to me hasn’t answered anything yet. :killer:

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How is it turned off? How do you know it is working? :emotions33::help: I know I’m asking silly questions but this thread to me hasn’t answered anything yet. :killer:

Like he said, its a LOT easier to notice if you modify the exhaust. With a stock exhaust its going to be a much less noticeable if it is at all. You can manually disable MDS by selecting 8th gear with the manual shift, every time you start the vehicle.

Max Limited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On your steering wheel look for the "GEAR Limit" with a "-" below the word and a "+" above the word.

Once started and in drive, push the minus and look below the speedometer and if you have not actually moved you will see the number "1".

You can do this after you begin moving as I often forget until I'm moving along. If moving it will show which gear you are in at the time.

Then push the "+" until you see the number 8 and MDS will not come in during this drive.

The transmission will use all 8 speeds like normal, just no MDS.

Good option for us. It is really there to limit gear selection if towing and you do not like the transmission shifting up and down all the time but then the Ram gives us the tow mode for that also. It can be used to limit gears if you want it to stay in a lower gear for whatever the reason. What a great truck.

If you stop or put the transmission in park, you have to do the entire procedure again.

It only takes a few seconds.

I do it every time but if I forget the green ECO light reminds me and into 8 it goes.

Last edited:

Ram19 Owner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks to both of you for the answers. I wasn’t sure if there was a settings selection for it. I haven’t had the eco light yet as it may not have enough miles on it (600ish only). At least now I know how to disable if needed.

Ask the right questions and it seems you get the right answers ;) instead of having to :banghead:

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Thanks to both of you for the answers. I wasn’t sure if there was a settings selection for it. I haven’t had the eco light yet as it may not have enough miles on it (600ish only). At least now I know how to disable if needed.

Ask the right questions and it seems you get the right answers ;) instead of having to :banghead:
My ECO light was not turn on from the factory, I had to go into the settings and turn it on. As soon as I enable the light, it was working...I had about 300 miles on the truck.

OP
OP
S

Shockedimpy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do notice when I select the +8 on the steering wheel, I tend to get more "feedback" via the steering wheel regarding engine revs and a vibration through it. Nothing crazy, but I can essentially feel engine revs through the steering wheel more when I run it straight 8 cyl. Unsure if I am going crazy and it happens intermittently as well. I could be imagining things, but I've gotten the Pulsar today. I will install tomorrow and see how it works and how it feels. I've heard a lot of good things.

I used the Diablo Tuner for my 2016 Silverado and I recall feeling the same lugging/sounds and engine lurching via the MDS, but once I purchased the tuner and disabled/removed the MDS. I never looked back and never suffered poor gas mileage.

I believe I got 22-24mpg on the highway with my Silverado (8 cyl) and roughly 15mpg city for over 2years after turning off MDS. You can clearly feel the cylinder deactivation, hear the sound difference and it becomes from rough. Its extremely poorly done...I sometimes wonder how these things make it past a companies QC process...Did the engineers not notice the crappy drive quality when the MDS is kicking on/off

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Dash settings or radio settings? :doh2:
It was through the radio/touch screen and it was kinda hard to find. I’m alway from my truck until Friday, so can’t go find it and tell you how to get to it. I just went through every page and sub page on menu until I found it.

Last edited:

Ram19 Owner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
It was through the radio/touch screen and it was kinda hard to find. I’m alway from my truck until Friday, so can’t go find it and tell you how to get to it. I just went through every page and sub page on menu until I found it.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I live in a slightly hilly area and the MDS just seems to make my truck have to downshift more often than if I shut it off.
On my daily commute I see 6th a lot less now and even 8 holds its speed better.
I really didn't see any better mileage.
If I go on a long interstate trip I'll probably let it do it's thing,
but otherwise I'm glad it's easy to shut off...

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do notice when I select the +8 on the steering wheel, I tend to get more "feedback" via the steering wheel regarding engine revs and a vibration through it. Nothing crazy, but I can essentially feel engine revs through the steering wheel more when I run it straight 8 cyl. Unsure if I am going crazy and it happens intermittently as well. I could be imagining things, but I've gotten the Pulsar today. I will install tomorrow and see how it works and how it feels. I've heard a lot of good things.

I used the Diablo Tuner for my 2016 Silverado and I recall feeling the same lugging/sounds and engine lurching via the MDS, but once I purchased the tuner and disabled/removed the MDS. I never looked back and never suffered poor gas mileage.

I believe I got 22-24mpg on the highway with my Silverado (8 cyl) and roughly 15mpg city for over 2years after turning off MDS. You can clearly feel the cylinder deactivation, hear the sound difference and it becomes from rough. Its extremely poorly done...I sometimes wonder how these things make it past a companies QC process...Did the engineers not notice the crappy drive quality when the MDS is kicking on/off
I seriously doubt you'll ever see 22-24 MPG in a HEMI powered RAM but I guess it might be possible if you drove 55 or less on flat ground most of the time. I have 3.92s in mine and the last trip I made back in October I was in the 19's driving mostly 79 at freeway speeds. I only see 20 or more driving on back roads and that's with little stopping and setting the cruise at 64.

Of course the sound of the HEMI and the extra power over that anemic 5.3 is well worth the price of admission although I will say that the LS engine (pre MDS/AFM or whatever you want to call it) is probably the best V8 engine ever made durability wise and far less prone to issues than the HEMI although I do love the HEMI and don't ever see myself going back to GM ever again.

OP
OP
S

Shockedimpy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone have a hard time removing the negative terminal from the battery? It will not budge and I’m petrified to damage anything or electrocute myself! Any suggestions?

I loosened the nut that clamps the fastener to the batteries terminal but it’s just stuck!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Anyone have a hard time removing the negative terminal from the battery? It will not budge and I’m petrified to damage anything or electrocute myself! Any suggestions?
Your not going to electrocute yourself with a 12V battery. It's not enough voltage to overcome skin resistance. Although I would highly suggest you don't stick your tongue to it.
After you loosen the bolt that clamps the negative terminal on, use a screwdriver to spread open where the bolt runs through.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
My ECO light was not turn on from the factory, I had to go into the settings and turn it on. As soon as I enable the light, it was working...I had about 300 miles on the truck.
To turn on the ECO select “Settings”, “Display”, “Fuel Saver Display in Cluster”

JohnK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
hey guys,

Love my new 2029 Ram 1500...The only issue/annoyance is the MDS kicking in. Can feel and hear the slight drone/vibration.
I read that you can call a dealer to deactivate, but I’ve called 2 separate dealers and both said no they can’t.

Ive tried the gear limiter and it works but sucks to keep setting up the gear limit or every time I shift out of Drive.

Is there a better option or cheap tuner that strictly does this? Or do the Ram sealers actually have the ability?

Get a PULSAR programmer. 8 options... Stock, Economy, Tow, Performance.... each of those has a MDS off option

OP
OP
S

Shockedimpy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone had a blinking check engine light when you put the truck in RUN but don’t start it? It stays on while in run but once the truck starts it’s gone?