MDS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Livin The Dream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello. First post here. I bought a new 3500 tradesman 6.4 yesterday and I'm curious about the mds. Whats your thoughts on long term reliability? Can i disable it by selecting 8th gear with the plus/minus buttons and/or tow haul? Am I over thinking this? Should i just put it in drive and not worry? Thanks for your thoughts!

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Putting it in 8 or tow/haul will disable it. Haven’t seen much on failures or issues on the forum on newer model.

If it dies or fries the lifters within the warranty period then it’s the dealers problem.... otherwise, a camshaft and lifters aren’t that expensive.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello. First post here. I bought a new 3500 tradesman 6.4 yesterday and I'm curious about the mds. Whats your thoughts on long term reliability? Can i disable it by selecting 8th gear with the plus/minus buttons and/or tow haul? Am I over thinking this? Should i just put it in drive and not worry? Thanks for your thoughts!

First, Welcome to the Ramily!!
On my 17 I try to automatically use the gear select buttons as soon as it gets dropped in drive. I hate the sound, dont care about saving the miniscule mileage gain and with my magnaflow 18 and 5" tips I cant stand the sound when mds kicks in.
Kinda lika its farting through a megaphone!!

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I generally put mine in "8th" around town because I don't like dealing with it going in and out constantly. I think avoiding MDS would be the better option for the motor long term.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Just say no.

+/- eliminates it. You won't see any measurable difference in mpg unless you drive many miles on pool table flat terrain.

Welcome aboard!

PS: I hit the "minus" button and tow/haul as soon as I start the truck. Always. I like the extra engine braking and holding a gear longer on acceleration.

BruceMorgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don’t experience the big and lag others talk about. I can’t tell the difference with MDS disabled vs enabled unless I’m towing my TT in the mountains. Around town I just leave it enabled and it’s fine.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine shifts fine when going into MDS running around town at 40 mpg,but hitting the - button it's smoother.