Mds?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Hey I was scanning some other forums, and what's the deal with everyone hating the MDS? I don't notice a surge, or sound difference when it goes from 8-4 cylinders. I absolutely love mine! So why do people hate it and wanna remove it so much? It flippin saves you money on gas when you don't need the power! That's awesome! Right?:********:

Laramie1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Ram/2013 Charger R/T Super Trak Pak
Engine
5.2 (318ci)/5.7 (345)
People have issues with MDS and I can somewhat sorta see their issues. YES, MDS lags from time to time but it's really not a huge issue. From what I'm seeing the lag is more to do with latency between what your foot says and what the motor does. It's all from fly by wire and a lot of people don't understand that. Couple that in with the odd response time in MDS function and people whine.

The other thing is that MDS does indeed cause some vibration but it's to be expected because the harmonics of the motor will change depending on the number of cylinders that are activated...

It's a preference thing really.

I don't mind it, but I know people who hate it.

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Hmm I'll have to pay more attention and see if I can feel/tell when it engages without looking at the guage. I've only put 500 miles on the truck though, so I haven't really had much experience with the mds yet.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
It doesn't bother me too much. It does sound weird when it's in mds. I don't know if the lag is from that or more from the throttle by wire. I reved it one time and instead of dropping back like a normal cable throttle it dropped real gradual slower then when you get off of it when your in gear driving.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 4.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
MDs sucks with an exhaust. It sounded so bad when I got my gibson. It was actually embarrassing. It was like a combination of fart can muffler meets helicopter drone.

I had some surging on the freeway between 55 and 65 that was annoying, but livable. It did help with freeway mpg.

As far as performance, it takes only milliseconds to kick in and out, so I am skeptical of people that claim they feel a lag when they accelerate. If you plan to cam, most of the grinds are not MDS friendly.

Bottom line, if you're keeping a stock exhaust, leave the mds on.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
You should hear it through a cutout. Good god it's obnoxious.

BMRbrnSNRbrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 CC Hemi Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You should hear it through a cutout. Good god it's obnoxious.

Man that's no lie! I used to enjoy just leaving my cutout open on my '04 around town...now it's not too good. Every time it kicks into 4-cylinders, I hurry and close it or apply a little more throttle.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Get a tuner turn MDS off it is nice.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone
$miley

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't have an issue with the MDS on the truck and it didn't bother me in the Charger either. You'll hear it with an aftermarket exhaust like was mentioned above but it's really no big deal. The surge people are feeling are down the driveline not the MDS kicking in.

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I actually enabled mine again last week as well as switch to the 87 tune. Dumping 91 octane into 2 vehicles sucked. It doesn't really sound all that bad with my exhaust, mostly due to the resonators I assume.

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine sounded horrible with my exhaust, drove me crazy with that helicopter noise. lol Got superchips and turned that thing off. :)

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I heard that you can try switching the viscosity of your oil and it wont make the noise as bad. Heard from other forums but not sure at all since i dont have mds.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
mine isnt too bad with an aftermarket exhaust. if I don't want it I just put it manual mode or tow/haul mode and it turns MDS off.

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I haven't noticed any kind of sound that I dont like, and I have the 14 inch muffler and no resonators. There's a small drone when it steps down sometimes, but it doesn't bother me. And for the increase in gas mileage... IT'S WORTH IT! :********:

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Wonder how much difference in milage yall see. The R/T charger we had the MDS 5.7 in got the same mileage that the superbee gets with the 6.1. The 5.7 in the R/T I would notice the MSD kick in and out alot during the highway but nothing extreme far as precieved power. We didnt keep it long enough to change the exhaust lol, had it for a few months and got traded for the Superbee.

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wonder how much difference in milage yall see. The R/T charger we had the MDS 5.7 in got the same mileage that the superbee gets with the 6.1. The 5.7 in the R/T I would notice the MSD kick in and out alot during the highway but nothing extreme far as precieved power. We didnt keep it long enough to change the exhaust lol, had it for a few months and got traded for the Superbee.

What mileage are you getting in your Bee? I was getting 26 in the R/T on the highway. Kinda missing that now only getting 16 in the truck.