Melting Ignition Coil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom O

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 6 cyl. engine and it keeps overheating the coil on cylinder #1 until the coil covering actually melts. I had it checked by a mechanic and his printout said that after all tests the ecm needed to be replaced which I did. Still have the same problem with #1 cylinder. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 6 cyl. engine and it keeps overheating the coil on cylinder #1 until the coil covering actually melts. I had it checked by a mechanic and his printout said that after all tests the ecm needed to be replaced which I did. Still have the same problem with #1 cylinder. Has anyone else run into this problem?
Normally when a coil is physically melting the plastic the ignition dwell is too high causing the windings to overheat and melt the plastic or the hotwire to the coil has a direct short to B+ voltage.

Measure the voltage to each coil with the engine running and compare Cyl. #1 to the other coils.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Fast is on the money... voltage to the coils is most likely shared by all the coils leaving the ground to the pcm. Too much dwell and you'll melt the coil. My guess is ypur pcm side is grpunded somewhere.