Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Member Input: New Forum Sections for Programming & Electronics

Discussion in 'Site Comments, suggestions, and questions.' started by MADDOG, May 8, 2020.

1. MADDOG

MADDOG Cummins Driver Administrator Supporting Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
    Requests have been made to add new forum sections dedicated to programming and electronic upgrades for our Ram trucks.

We are soliciting your input on what sorts of programming and electronic modifications owners are making to their trucks.

Basically, we anticipate that a section would be added to the 3RD, 4TH & 5TH generation sections titled "Programming & Electronics"

Each of those sections would include sub-sections to identify specific categories such as:

1. AlfaOBD & Module programming - The huge AlfaOBD thread may be archived as a sticky. On page 1 of that thread are some links to content within the thread but we assume more topics have been added that don't have links. While it would be nice to break it down into specific categories that is a LOT of work. However, we are open to suggestions on how to manage that large thread and specific categories we can add and link to.

2. Programming for Performance - This section would DiabloSport, Hypertech, Diesel Programming, Custom Tunes, etc... What other categories would you like to see included?

3. Another section?

4. And yet another section?

So your input is being requested and here's where we need some help:

1. What other sections would you like to see here?
    2. Do each of those sections need to be broken down into specific categories?
    3. If so, what are those categories?

This thread will remain open for at least 2 weeks to gather your comments. Please keep those comments to constructive suggestions on content you would like to see included.

TIA. Your input will be appreciated.

2. MADDOG

MADDOG Cummins Driver Administrator Supporting Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
    C'mon members. This thread was created out of your request to address programming for electronics. It was understood that some topics are shared across generations, such as AlfaOBD, programming for peformance and other electronic enhancements.

No input here leads me to believe we can forget about adding this section to the forum.

3. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Dang I missed this thread, c'mon guys post up your opinion here

4. chri5k

chri5k Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Diesel
    I think programming should not be under the "generations" sections. Tools like Alpha cut across generations and we may end up with stuff in the wrong section, stuff that works on multiple generations, etc. in the "wrong" section. Perhaps a Programming forum with sections for things people are trying to accomplish. So a performance section (separate diesel and gas topics), enabling factory options section (DRL, alarm, etc) , upgrading electronics (heated seats, UAQ radio, etc), etc. Then within those the various sections the threads would say which tool(s) are used, generation applicability, etc.

Most folks come to the Alpha thread looking to do specific tasks like enable DRL, add LED's, etc. What ends up happening is the responses to the DRL task get mixed in response to other tasks and it makes it hard to find the information. People then ask about the same task over and over.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    SitKneelBend likes this.
  5. rule18

rule18 Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    2017 Rebel
    Engine:
    3.6, 3.92 and a Pedal Commander
    An Audio section within an Electronics category would probably be helpful, I've seen a fair number of threads and posts on HU swaps, Sub installs, speaker upgrades etc...

Richmond2000 likes this.
  6. joelmic

joelmic Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L
    Engine:
    Some of the tutorials need updating using the current version of Alpha and the added years...
    I dunno if that's something someone wants to undertake or what...

7. Nick_rp

Nick_rp Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    2012 1500
    Engine:
    5.7 Sport
    I would love to see the alfa thread made into sub categories but instead of slaving over the original, sticky it, then below it create the new sub categories. It may feel like starting over but as long as i can avoid anymore DRL posts, im cool with it.

Richmond2000 and joelmic like this.
  8. Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2 Senior Member Preferred Vendor Supporting Member Military

Ram Year:
    2018 Laramie Crew
    Engine:
    5.7L
  9. Richmond2000

Richmond2000 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    IMHO "AlfaOBD programming / OEM upgrades " would have subsections for
    "lighting mods"
    "Interior mods"
    "exterior mods NON lighting"
    ETC

I know in the "Alpha" thread there were conversations about people experimenting like getting BLIS working of fitting MK5 tail lights on MK4 trucks - maybe a "scratch pad" section where new and untried "projects" can start - also might need to much oversight but a thought

I would like the "tutorials" to be seperate from the "question/answer threads IE power seat install would have a stickied thread detailing the install / wiring / programming
    and a second thread to ask questions / discuss the conversions to help preserve the conversion thread for updates as more is learned

joelmic likes this.
  10. Richmond2000

Richmond2000 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    IMHO the lfirst section of a 900+ page thread on something that is "A" daunting" and "B" totally NEW for a lot of people so a LOT of people resort to just asking
    I hope if the section FOR programming has ether a stickied thread of known good mods OR stickied links at the top hopefully a LOT of users will find the info the desire AND if they get "stuck" can find the thread to ask in that is not 900+ monster