Metal in pan remaned engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dennisok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree, I would contact whoever you purchased motor from. You might also use a magnetic oil drain plug to get a better idea of exactly how much of a issue it is and to segregate metal from the oil.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Being 11psi low on oil pressure from before would be enough to have me look back inside at all the bearings.

I've never seen that much metal in any new or rebuilt engine.
I take that statement back. I have seen more once.

A friend was rebuilding a 1960 430 Lincoln engine, new cam included.

I stressed for him to use break in oil as the newer oil (this was years ago) wasn't going to hold up to the break in.

I went back a few weeks later. The valve covers were off, and both heads looked like a bonanza strike of silver. The engine was toast.

He decided he didn't need break in oil.

Tony Donato

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
@mikejones4891 before you panic, do a couple of oil changes with about 100 miles between each. If after the second oil change the oil is not cleaner then you should worry. More than likely that's machining debris, nothing more. I've seen this even in brand vehicles. My brother's Hyundai at 2000 miles, when I changed his oil, the oil filter was sparkling with metal. I did the same thing I advised you to do, and by the second oil change the oil was clean. He's got 30K miles on it now, without any issues.

Tony Donato

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The oil pressure goes down to 27psi at low idle. Is that normal? The engine before was around 38psi at idle.
One more piece of advice: Go to Walmart and get a 0W-40 or 5W-40 and do the two oil changes. Mobil 1 FS 0W-40, Mobil 1 FS 5W-40, or QS Euro 5W-40. Thicker oil traps particles better. It will also increase oil pressure, though that's not that meaningful. no two HEMIs have identical oil pressure. The lower idle oil pressure is an indication that you may have one or more bearings that have larger clearances. Given that it's a remanufactured engine, the shop may have used aftermarket bearings. If you're running 0W-20 or 5W-20, it's pretty normal once the engine is fully warmed up.

Your oil pressure at idle is still within limits. I'd be more curious what your oil pressure is driving down the highway, and when revving the engine over 3K RPM. It should climb to 60 psi pretty fast.

OP
OP
M

mikejones4891

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@mikejones4891 before you panic, do a couple of oil changes with about 100 miles between each. If after the second oil change the oil is not cleaner then you should worry. More than likely that's machining debris, nothing more. I've seen this even in brand vehicles. My brother's Hyundai at 2000 miles, when I changed his oil, the oil filter was sparkling with metal. I did the same thing I advised you to do, and by the second oil change the oil was clean. He's got 30K miles on it now, without any issues.
I'm in the process of the warranty claim because it is definitely making some noise now.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Advanced is basically Carquest and they are a great company. I buy all of my oil and most of my parts there. That is a little more metal then I would personally like to see. As stated above it could be completely fine. Oil pressure that all comes down to what pump they used or it could be hurt. I think I would run a good synthetic and a good filter for another 500 and then see where you are at. Every engine I have ever had built has had some sort of metal in it on the first oil change. Not that much, but everything is getting worked in.

OP
OP
M

mikejones4891

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Advanced is basically Carquest and they are a great company. I buy all of my oil and most of my parts there. That is a little more metal then I would personally like to see. As stated above it could be completely fine. Oil pressure that all comes down to what pump they used or it could be hurt. I think I would run a good synthetic and a good filter for another 500 and then see where you are at. Every engine I have ever had built has had some sort of metal in it on the first oil change. Not that much, but everything is getting worked in.
They are sending me another engine because it does have some significant noise now. Sounds like bottom end but I'm not 100% where it's coming from.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds liked you have it covered, did you say how long you have had that motor, under 90 days?
If they send you another one, I would be tempted to flush the pan before motor installed , just in case.

OP
OP
M

mikejones4891

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds liked you have it covered, did you say how long you have had that motor, under 90 days?
If they send you another one, I would be tempted to flush the pan before motor installed , just in case.
Under 2 weeks and definitely gonna run everything through a parts cleaner agaim

OP
OP
M

mikejones4891

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm going to and I'm gonna run the oil through a coffee filter and also the oil that I already drained

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Let us know how the warranty claim goes. New, Reman, used, whatever, that much metal, the engine is toast. You made the right call by not waiting, hope the next one is better.