Mice found my truck.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck is not my daily driver, and mostly just gets driven on weekends. I have a garage(truck just barely fits inside) but the garage is also my work shop, so the truck occasionally has to be parked outside for extended periods.

I recently discovered evidence of mouse activity under the hood of my truck. I was wandering if anyone had any suggestions for keeping the mice away from/out of the truck?

I have set up a “rolling log” mouse trap to try to reduce the population, but so far,have only caught about half a dozen mice.

0c9c4ce5a16bb331b1a2645cb7e1cc16.jpg
6dd8b44357e62cc9adb9b14457d85a96.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Peppermint oil soaked cotton balls are supposed to keep them away. But your best bet is commercial bobcat *****. Available on line..

I'd hate that job collecting that!

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I do not think there is a magic bullet for mice other than normal population pest control like poison or trapping.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My truck is not my daily driver, and mostly just gets driven on weekends. I have a garage(truck just barely fits inside) but the garage is also my work shop, so the truck occasionally has to be parked outside for extended periods.

I recently discovered evidence of mouse activity under the hood of my truck. I was wandering if anyone had any suggestions for keeping the mice away from/out of the truck?

I have set up a “rolling log” mouse trap to try to reduce the population, but so far,have only caught about half a dozen mice.

0c9c4ce5a16bb331b1a2645cb7e1cc16.jpg
6dd8b44357e62cc9adb9b14457d85a96.jpg

I had the same problem to include packrats. The school buses in western Colorado use the royal pine scented car air fresheners. I put a couple of these under the hoods of all our vehicles and farm equipment. No more mice or packrats. To help keep them out of your buildings make small plastic bait boxes fully enclosed with a lid. These boxes will keep the poison dry and other animals out. Drill a one inch hole towards the bottom and place mice poison in them. Put these right outside your buildings and you will get most if not all the mice before they get inside. Check bait boxes periodically and add more poison as needed.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think if you have already caught about 1/2 dozen you have more than a problem that individual traps can solve. I look around for something industrial strength like a couple of the above suggestions. If you don't wanna poison everything, a cat doesn't sound like a bad idea.
Jay

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
My boat,camper all my vehicle's have had mice or pack rats (worst) damage. i use a multi level approach: move vehicles often, use traps, bucket wheels, sticky's, lighting. inspect weekly. do not park near brush trees grass keep in the middle of drives etc. Used fine mesh around entry points on the firewall. Had repeated damage on wiring undercarriage and wrapped with foil tape. use same for covering frame holes. caulked every point of entry in the camper. I don't use poison and have several owls that come by. my neighbor 1/4 mi away poisoned rats and I didn't see an owl for a year. I now have 2 feral cats that I started to feed small amounts near my outdoor vehicles, only during the day, they go hungry at night, besides you dont want to attract rodents. Its kind of like fighting the Taliban.They make more. Stay vigilant .

OP
OP
muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for all the suggestions.[emoji106]
We tried the cat option a while ago, but he didn’t stay around long. He moved into the neighbor’s barn with their cats.
Really would like to avoid poison, we have owls, hawks, and a couple bald eagles in the area, that I’d like to not inadvertently poison.

Think I’ll spend my lunch hour looking into some of the suggested trap and deterrent options.
Thanks again.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
When I have evidence a mouse is in the cab, I place a sticky in a box top so the mouse cant get the glue on the carpet. I found pack rats with rat traps or sticky's can haul them yards away. Once and awhile I'll sit in a lawn chair when there is moonlight, and hunt pack rats, with a pellet gun. Those sucker's are tough to kill. My dogs will kill chipmunks and pack rats in my fenced in yard, that's why I don't use poison also.
Bucket trap, but put water in it or they will come back

OP
OP
muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I have evidence a mouse is in the cab, I place a sticky in a box top so the mouse cant get the glue on the carpet. I found pack rats with rat traps or sticky's can haul them yards away. Once and awhile I'll sit in a lawn chair when there is moonlight, and hunt pack rats, with a pellet gun. Those sucker's are tough to kill. My dogs will kill chipmunks and pack rats in my fenced in yard, that's why I don't use poison also.
Bucket trap, but put water in it or they will come back

[emoji106]for the bucket trap(AKA rolling log trap).
Here’s the one I set up, I put in the canvas shed next to where the truck is parked most often.
5070166adc4811efd6c8f5a2d44386d4.jpg

OP
OP
muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
View attachment 139745 You could get one of these.I have plenty I'll send you a buck full

View attachment 139746
something was rattling under the truck!

LOL, thanks, but please don’t. We have plenty already (although they don’t rattle). Besides, my wife is deathly afraid of snakes, it would be hazardous to my health if a box of them showed up.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bounce sheets worked great for me when I had my truck parked for 6 months. I just laid them everywhere under the bonnet.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Have heard all kind of ways from moth balls to bounce fabric softener sheets. Me, I would go to the local pound and get a cat or two.
X10 on the cats. Even if it’s just kept in garage. I have a dozen or so at my farm and I don’t have mice inside cabin or really see any around shop either. Biggest plus. No mice means no snakes :favorites37:

14Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 1978 W200 pickup that isnt a daily driver so its sits for a few days at a time. I had a slight mouse problem but now I use these in it. Fresh Cab Rodent Repellant. Tractor Supply and my local John Deere dealer sell it. Its a whole lot cheaper at the John Deere dealer. Ive been using these for a few months now and havnt noticed any mice. Has a really strong smell but it isn’t unpleasant.

8147b6870da266b950da9651a828e12d.jpg