Mice found my truck.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cuminslvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
Little ******** chewed thru the ignition wiring in my wife's subby. cost me 500 bucks to get the wiring harness fixed. Tried moth balls but couldnt abide the smell. Ill try the pine suggestion above. :lazer:

Last edited:

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
Go to Ace hardware and get a bag of mothballs. They sell one that has 2 perforated bags of mothballs and I throw one under the truck and one under the hood. The one under the hood needs to be removed before driving. They last a long time, are cost effective and beat everything else I've tried.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BOUNCE dryer sheets!!!
Place them under each wheel and in the engine bay. Works excellent and it's cheap. The critters HATE the smell.

silver surfer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go to Ace hardware and get a bag of mothballs. They sell one that has 2 perforated bags of mothballs and I throw one under the truck and one under the hood. The one under the hood needs to be removed before driving. They last a long time, are cost effective and beat everything else I've tried.
Yeah, I did the mothballs under the hood on my wife's car. Didn't know they melt in the heat. Took weeks to get the smell out of the car.

Cobalt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I live in Arizona in a rural setting and the pack rats are really a problem. My 3500 and a Navigator sit out side, garage has 3 cars in it. I use a couple of peanut butter or moyo jars full of moth balls under the hood of both of them. It works quite well. You only forget once if you don't remove them before driving. I think I will give the air freshener a try.

RickH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I fashioned a galvanized screen block for my air intake hose to keep them out of the air cleaner assembly. It mounts between the hose and the airbox. I also repaired my battery blanket with black duct tape which seems to be holding up so far. I like the suggested air fresheners hanging in the engine bay idea. Never thought to use them outside the passenger compartment.

dan212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sadly, I have experience with mouse activity in both vehicles and trailers. They absolutely LOVE to eat wires. You should check exposed wires for damage.

I recently discovered evidence of mouse activity under the hood of my truck.

0c9c4ce5a16bb331b1a2645cb7e1cc16.jpg
6dd8b44357e62cc9adb9b14457d85a96.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Yeah, I did the mothballs under the hood on my wife's car. Didn't know they melt in the heat. Took weeks to get the smell out of the car.

Hey y’all what’s that smell??? LOL [emoji38][emoji23]

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My truck is not my daily driver, and mostly just gets driven on weekends. I have a garage(truck just barely fits inside) but the garage is also my work shop, so the truck occasionally has to be parked outside for extended periods.

I recently discovered evidence of mouse activity under the hood of my truck. I was wandering if anyone had any suggestions for keeping the mice away from/out of the truck?

I have set up a “rolling log” mouse trap to try to reduce the population, but so far,have only caught about half a dozen mice.

I know this has nothing to do with stopping the mice in your truck, Just thought I'd pass along another mice story....a few years back, was working at a place, and one of the employees and her husband bought a brand new 300. One day (only about a week after purchase) the car wouldn't start. Of course she was very upset. The car had to get towed back to the dealership from her yard. The culprit????...Mice (as the techs figured it was mice due to the small "mice turds") had chewed through the whole wiring harness that basically was the cars' computer.....If she didn't bring pictures into work to show everyone, I would never have believed it

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I also use bounce sheets -in the cabin-and under the hood-in and around the fuse box-and wherever there is a cluster of wires. Never had a problem. Don't park near stacked firewood-I learned that one with my old corvette!!---They will nest there all winter and eat all your wiring!!

Jendsley06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck is not my daily driver, and mostly just gets driven on weekends. I have a garage(truck just barely fits inside) but the garage is also my work shop, so the truck occasionally has to be parked outside for extended periods.

I recently discovered evidence of mouse activity under the hood of my truck. I was wandering if anyone had any suggestions for keeping the mice away from/out of the truck?

I have set up a “rolling log” mouse trap to try to reduce the population, but so far,have only caught about half a dozen mice.

My son raises snakes. He says to put used snake bedding and snake sheds (skins) around the outside of a building and the scent will keep the mice and rats out. Then just have to deal with the ones that are inside. No the smell is not noticable when I have been around it.

Hookie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I had the same problem in the same place on top of the battery.