Michelin winter tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L
I have an opportunity to buy a Michelin tire voucher for any set of tires they make.

What would be the best all around winter tire size, brand, from Michelin.

Cost is of no consideration as it’s a set price I’m buying them at.

I’m running Falken Wildpeak 35’s during the other seasons.

Thanks for input in advance .

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The wildpeaks aren’t winter rated?

snaps3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The new design are rated for the winter. The snowflake and mountain logo is on the sidewall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B Mitty

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L
I know, it’s a great all around tire, the reason I’m looking at a second set is because of being able to get them at over half the cost, and the best focused winter tire available.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes, I can appreciate that. I’m putting the Wildpeaks on too but I’m going to give it a go next winter so see how they hold up in the snow and ice. I’m hoping I don’t need a winter set.

will you swap out the rims too? I don’t thing there are too many 35” snow tires in the 17”. Are you wanting pure ice/snow tire?

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i do not see a single tire Michelin sells that I would care to put on my PW even if it were free. If I could get a cheap voucher from Michelin for a Honda CRV maybe I would do it but not for a power wagon. Sometimes a great deal is not all that great.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Personally, i would grab a set of the ltx m+s in a 275/60R20, and sell them to one of the forum members here that love them. Take that money and use it to buy a set of real snow tires such as bridgestone blizzak or nokian hakkapeleta, or Continental Viking contact.

When i was a Michelin dealer, our Michelin sponsored and decaled pickup (blue and yellow with a giant Michelin man on the side) was running around with a set of blizzaks on it. The michelin winters were garbage.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B Mitty

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L
Yea if that is the case, I’ll just stick with my Falkens, that’s why it’s good to chat and get input from people before buying.

Now.... what about a set of 20inch performance tires for a new corvette, kijiji them :D

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy a Michelin tire voucher for any set of tires they make.

What would be the best all around winter tire size, brand, from Michelin.

Cost is of no consideration as it’s a set price I’m buying them at.

I’m running Falken Wildpeak 35’s during the other seasons.

Thanks for input in advance .

Both Uniroyal and BF Goodrich tires are made by Michelin too. The KO2 is 3PMSF rated.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The x-ice are a good winter tire, but I think the load rating is too low for the power wagon. Their other lines probably won't be what you're hoping for. For the guys that run all terrains like the BFG or the falkens with the 3peak snowflake they work fine, but if you've ever run actual winter specific tires you'd know on icy roads they are significantly better. I've found the BFG the best at in the snow to date, but not near as good as my ipikes. If I lived in an area with a little here and there or went skiing occasionally I'd be happy with all terrains, but if you do a lot of winter driving the dedicated winters are worth it.

Last edited:

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
The x-ice are a good winter tire, but I think the load rating is too low for the power wagon. Their other lines probably won't be what you're hoping for. For the guys that run all terrains like the BFG or the falkens with the 3peak snowflake they work fine, but if you've never run actual winter specific tires you'd know on icy roads they are significantly better. I've found the BFG the best at in the snow to date, but not near as good as my ipikes. If I lived in an area with a little here and there or went skiing occasionally I'd be happy with all terrains, but if you do a lot of winter driving the dedicated winters are worth it.

I do a lot of winter driving due to its freezing with snow some 8 to 9 months annually. It's legal to run studded tires all year. I change over to General Grabber Altimax Arctic from Goodyear Assurance Weather Ready on our Honda Civic. Both have the 3PMSF rating, but the Goodyear tires aren't for winter usage. They don't grip on snow and ice. Winter tires though should be used for temperatures below 45 degrees Fahrenheit.

For my Power Wagon it's 35 12.50R17, Load Range E with a heavier duty 3 ply carcass, and the 3PMSF. Highly doubt that there's a heavy duty 35 inch winter tire for our Power Wagons.
20201026_104844.jpg

Last edited:

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Yea if that is the case, I’ll just stick with my Falkens, that’s why it’s good to chat and get input from people before buying.

Now.... what about a set of 20inch performance tires for a new corvette, kijiji them :D
Oh, and speaking of the falkens. I run the at3w year round here in I Ontario, they work great in snow and ice. But this is my second winter on them now, I'm at 45k km on them and they are about 60-65% tread left. I notice a bit of reduced traction now, typical of any all terrain.
I have a set of Continental Viking contacts here now about to install. Nothing beats atrue dedicated winter.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I do a lot of winter driving due to its freezing with snow some 8 to 9 months annually. It's legal to run studded tires all year. I change over to General Grabber Altimax Arctic from Goodyear Assurance Weather Ready on our Honda Civic. Both have the 3PMSF rating, but the Goodyear tires aren't for winter usage. They don't grip on snow and ice. Winter tires though should be used for temperatures below 45 degrees Fahrenheit.

For my Power Wagon it's 35 12.50R17, Load Range E with a heavier duty 3 ply carcass, and the 3PMSF. Highly doubt that there's a heavy duty 35 inch winter tire for our Power Wagons.
View attachment 238518
You could run a nokian 315/70-17 LT3, which is pretty darn close in size to a 35 12.50, but for the op that's no help.

OP
OP
B Mitty

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L
Yea, I only do 10 000 miles a year max. I think I’ll just say forget the Michelin idea, and replace the falkens every 2 years, sell old ones.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have the Michelin X-ice on our wrx and they are great snow tires. I also have a set of Nokian studded snow tires I used to run on a ranger and a 350z. If they can make a 350z hook up in the snow they are some good tires!

As far as your Michelin coupon, see if you can purchase one of the sub brands or put some tires on another car? I saw you mention a corvette...Pilot sports/super sports would be a great use of your voucher.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Cab 4x4 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
Personally, i would grab a set of the ltx m+s in a 275/60R20, and sell them to one of the forum members here that love them. Take that money and use it to buy a set of real snow tires such as bridgestone blizzak or nokian hakkapeleta, or Continental Viking contact.

When i was a Michelin dealer, our Michelin sponsored and decaled pickup (blue and yellow with a giant Michelin man on the side) was running around with a set of blizzaks on it. The michelin winters were garbage.

Will echo the Nokian recommendation. About 12 years ago I bought a Geo Tracker (Suzuki Sidekick clone) that had brand new top of the line Nokians on it; it was the daily driver for the maintenance chief at a giant local production plant. My kids called it The Microwave since the two door hardtop was white and square. Had a big blizzard that dumped about 8 inches of snow on us... fired that little sucker up and drove all over with zero problems despite classic Midwestern snow and ice on the roads.