Michelin winter tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelm_ski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
I can not tell you a specific tire but we always had the Michelin tires on our Ambulances and they were snow tires during winter and they are the best around .

texcwa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L HO
Yea if that is the case, I’ll just stick with my Falkens, that’s why it’s good to chat and get input from people before buying.

Now.... what about a set of 20inch performance tires for a new corvette, kijiji them :D

For performance tires on the Vet, the Michelin PS2 is hard to beat by any other tire manufacturer.

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
The wildpeaks aren’t winter rated?
I run 35" Falken Wildpeak AT3's and I definitely don't recommend them in winter as they have too wide a footprint at 12.5". I've nearly slid off the road and into oncoming traffic in turns twice this week when the roads were slushy! True winter tires are going to remain soft in sub zero temperatures, have far more sipes and also not be so wide. Floatation is great for deep snow off road but horrible on road when things get slushy or icy!

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I run 35" Falken Wildpeak AT3's and I definitely don't recommend them in winter as they have too wide a footprint at 12.5". I've nearly slid off the road and into oncoming traffic in turns twice this week when the roads were slushy! True winter tires are going to remain soft in sub zero temperatures, have far more sipes and also not be so wide. Floatation is great for deep snow off road but horrible on road when things get slushy or icy!

There's different types of snow. Our Rocky Mountain high altitude snow stays put for months on end. It doesn't melt in winter, just sublimation. Too cold outside. 12.5" wide tires aren't any issue with it.

Last edited:

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
There's different types of snow. Our Rocky Mountain high altitude snow stays put for months on end. It doesn't melt in winter, just sublimation. Too cold outside. 12.5" wide tires aren't any issue with it.
It's the braking and sharp turns that gets you. To each their own though. Stay safe!

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
It's the braking and sharp turns that gets you. To each their own though. Stay safe!

Yes, I've driven through the slushy and icy snow in the Pacific Northwest. My Power Wagon wide tires weren't the best choice. Narrower tires are much better in it to handle braking and sharp turns. The snow here is normally light, dry powder due to it's too far from any ocean or lake to provide the moisture. It blows right through our barbed wire fences in the below 0F temperatures. Can't even make a snowman or a snowball with it. It's a different driving experience which means tourists and out of state truck drivers get fooled into driving too fast for the conditions. We see some horrific pile ups out on the Interstate 70 and 80 even though few people live out here.

From the experts...

'In the winter, narrow tires are better under extreme conditions as they provide higher surface pressure against the road. Narrow tires also work better than wider ones in loose snow and slush."

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want to stay with a 35" tire I'm not even sure Michelin makes anything that size? The severe snow rating is the best you can get like the current Falken's. Overall if you want to stay that size in a dedicated snow/ice tire your options are very limited.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
If you want to stay with a 35" tire I'm not even sure Michelin makes anything that size? The severe snow rating is the best you can get like the current Falken's. Overall if you want to stay that size in a dedicated snow/ice tire your options are very limited.

I haven't seen any 35 12.50R17 3PMSF rated Load Range E tires which are winter dedicated snow/ice tires. A 315 70R17 3PMSF winter dedicated tire has a very limited choice. Probably just a Load Range D availability.

Last edited:

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
"Michelin North America Inc. will raise prices... ...up to 19% on off-road tires," also effective on April 1."

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Nothing larger than the stock 33" for the PW wheel in the Michelin.

Last edited: